• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Are you saying Marner will get 11?
Yes, from us he will accept 11. Someone else may offer more but he won’t move for the difference. It’s about time we take advantage of players who want to play here, rather than pay extra for players to stay here.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, from us he will accept 11. Someone else may offer more but he won’t move for the difference. It’s about time we take advantage of players who want to play here, rather than pay extra for players to stay here.
Nylander is the floor. Tough to expect the better player to take less although taking a discount would be great.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nylander is the floor. Tough to expect the better player to take less although taking a discount would be great.
I think that is the difference, regardless that William states he calls this home, I think he would move for even 100 grand more somewhere else. Mitch is a lifelong fan, family including new in-laws live here. Already owns property here, knows he robbed us on his current deal, he isn’t leaving for a few hundred thousand more. Would anybody move to another city, away from their favorite lifelong workplace for less than a 10% raise?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think that is the difference, regardless that William states he calls this home, I think he would move for even 100 grand more somewhere else. Mitch is a lifelong fan, family including new in-laws live here. Already owns property here, knows he robbed us on his current deal, he isn’t leaving for a few hundred thousand more. Would anybody move to another city, away from their favorite lifelong workplace for less than a 10% raise?
100% he doesn't want to leave.
IMO, I don't see the team using that as leverage, they'll give him what's fair.

Think he signs before the season starts?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Has it happened? I know he spoke bad about players to the media, but did he hold anyone accountable? I am actually curious, I have no clue.

Kyrou and Thomas (think that is who he called out) got the same ice time they usually do the game after they got called out it looks like... Both got 3 and half minutes or more on the PP.

Is he actually known for benching guys?

Yes, when he got there I believe Alex Steen was one of the guys who wasn’t holding his weight and was moved down to the fourth line. Perron as well at first but then Perron became his favourite guys and I’m sure if we do a deep dive, he isn’t going to punish them over 5 games but maybe in a singular game if you play like crap, that game you might find yourself stapled to the bench.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yes, when he got there I believe Alex Steen was one of the guys who wasn’t holding his weight and was moved down to the fourth line. Perron as well at first but then Perron became his favourite guys and I’m sure if we do a deep dive, he isn’t going to punish them over 5 games but maybe in a singular game if you play like crap, that game you might find yourself stapled to the bench.

Is there anything recent with star players? I know the comments about the star players, but nothing else... all the guys you named were secondary players.

Not disputing it, I think people are just going to be disappointed when they don't see star players benched as much as they'd like.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
100% he doesn't want to leave.
IMO, I don't see the team using that as leverage, they'll give him what's fair.

Think he signs before the season starts?
Not for the 11.. lol! This will go until the new year at least. If he plays more or less the same it could be next summer. If he plays worse or better one side will try and force a deal but then it would still be sometime in the new year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not for the 11.. lol! This will go until the new year at least. If he plays more or less the same it could be next summer. If he plays worse or better one side will try and force a deal but then it would still be sometime in the new year.
I’ve changed my mind so many times on what I think is happening that I’ve given up trying to predict. Such a weird situation, I’m sure all parties would just wish it would all go away.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Strictly speaking as somebody who has never had the privilege of seeing a Maple Leafs home game, I cannot imagine showing up and booing a player, whatever your view of them may be at the time.
Lol. People pay hundreds of dollars for the "privilege'' of seeing a Maple Leafs home game and have an inherent right to react to the product on the ice as they see fit.

FAN DOES NOT EQUAL CHEERLEADER.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No one on the leafs is disinterested. It’s not even an effort thing. Everything with the leafs losing is mental. It’s poor decision making at crucial times in deciding games that have cost them series wins. That isn’t a lack of effort, that comes down to a lack of awareness in the moment and quite frankly a lack of systems.

The Montreal series showed me Keefe doesn’t have a system or doesn’t teach his guys what to do when they are faced with pressure. How many turnovers when faced with pressure were pizzas right up the middle instead of taking it to the boards, high and out?

Sandin, pizza up the middle costs us a game
Dermott spinorama up the middle costs us a game
Galchenyuk throws the puck up the middle in OT costs us the game.
Marner middle of the ice flips the puck out

Matthews turnover to Gustav Forsling in the middle of the ice cost us a crucial game against Florida

Marner and Nylander miscommunication / not being aggressive against Pastrnak.

Those mistakes can be coached out in my opinion. So I’m looking forward to see accountability. Everyone has to know that if you make a crucial mistake your minutes are getting reduced and that will happen with Berube. The stars aren’t going to be fed PP minutes IMO
At times there’s a lack of intensity and sacrifice. I don’t know if that can be coached out of them but that’s the road their taking.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Are we not allowed to discuss comparable players?

3rd in Conn Smythe odds for his team, wouldn't say he led.

Do injuries excuse play now? Our players start to look a lot better if they do.

Funny how everyone brings up injuries when defending players on other teams.

What impact player is making $1.4 million per season?

Overpaying payers is obviously not good, but if you have the odd overpayment of a million or two, it shouldn't cripple your team, Florida had the difference between Tkachuk and Marner in dead cap space.
Tkachuk was bad in Calgary, and improved… Marner has been bad forever and hasn’t improved, so I don’t know what you’re getting at? There’s a possibility Marner improves too? Sure, I already said that in my original post but as time goes on it seems more and more unlikely.

3rd in conn smythe because he had a broken rib… and I’m not even using it to excuse play. Just saying he played through something I can’t imagine any of our stars doing but that’s an assumption on my part.

No impact player is making 1.4, but an extra 1.4 million this year could have been the difference between OEL and Matt Roy, for example. Could do that with any number of players.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Tkachuk was bad in Calgary, and improved… Marner has been bad forever and hasn’t improved, so I don’t know what you’re getting at? There’s a possibility Marner improves too? Sure, I already said that in my original post but as time goes on it seems more and more unlikely.

Not being the guy anymore is helping him... 3rd/4th/5th best player whatever he is, that is helping.

Maybe Marner just needs a change of scenery where he is not relied upon as much.

He's around PPG (slightly over) with Florida

Marner has been PPG the last 3 years with Toronto...

3rd in conn smythe because he had a broken rib… and I’m not even using it to excuse play. Just saying he played through something I can’t imagine any of our stars doing but that’s an assumption on my part.

3rd in Conn Smythe because he didn't help his team as much as better players.

Maybe Tkachuk should avoid contact a little more, he seems fragile, broken sternum and now ribs.

Our players have played injured multiple times, it happens... start calling out anyone who complains about Matthews.

No impact player is making 1.4, but an extra 1.4 million this year could have been the difference between OEL and Matt Roy, for example. Could do that with any number of players.

The difference is over 2 million, not 1.4 million, so the example is wrong.

Sure, the player also has to be a realistic target.

We also could have just not signed all our 4th line and pressbox players to overpriced deals and got more than 1.4 million.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Are we not allowed to discuss comparable players?

3rd in Conn Smythe odds for his team, wouldn't say he led.

Do injuries excuse play now? Our players start to look a lot better if they do.

Funny how everyone brings up injuries when defending players on other teams.

What impact player is making $1.4 million per season?

Overpaying payers is obviously not good, but if you have the odd overpayment of a million or two, it shouldn't cripple your team, Florida had the difference between Tkachuk and Marner in dead cap space.
Tkachuk led his team. He’s been terrific in Florida. It’s OK to accept that he has a better playoff record and right now is better than any of the core.
He’s exactly what you want on your team. The guy played with a broken sternum and that mentality to sacrifice your body to get your name Cup is exactly what the Leafs lack. And that’s why they get their name on the Cup.

Before luck plays a part, you have to have will, desire, effort, sacrifice and other tangibles. We are 8 yrs into this mess have seen none of this from the core.

Lmao Matthews is better than Tkachuk. Being a Stanley cup champ is not the only indicator.
If I had one available spot and I was playing for a Cup today, I’d take Tkachuk 100 times out of 100 over Mathew’s

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Craig Berube's past run-ins with star players raise some concerns in Toronto

New Leafs bench boss Craig Berube's bluntness has caused issues with star players in the past, which leads to concerns about how the "Core 4" will handle his style.

The fact that it was star players that had issues with Berube may not bode well for Auston Matthews, William Nylander, Mitch Marner and John Tavares in Toronto, given how many times we saw former head coach Sheldon Keefe have to walk back his public comments when he criticized them.

I dunno if Lecavalier in Philly is the best example. He was breaking down and bought out in Tampa, and was basically on end of career cruise control with not a lot left for the Flyers. I would hope that isn’t the most representative example of Berube vs star players…

Although it seemed like Thomas, Kyrou and Tarasenko didn’t quite love Berube.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Tkachuk led his team. He’s been terrific in Florida. It’s OK to accept that he has a better playoff record and right now is better than any of the core.
He’s exactly what you want on your team. The guy played with a broken sternum and that mentality to sacrifice your body to get your name Cup is exactly what the Leafs lack. And that’s why they get their name on the Cup.

Before luck plays a part, you have to have will, desire, effort, sacrifice and other tangibles. We are 8 yrs into this mess have seen none of this from the core.

If I had one available spot and I was playing for a Cup today, I’d take Tkachuk 100 times out of 100 over Mathew’s

That wasn’t the question. The question was who is a better hockey player. Auston Matthews is a better hockey player than Tkachuk. We didn’t ask you who you rather have on your team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That wasn’t the question. The question was who is a better hockey player. Auston Matthews is a better hockey player than Tkachuk. We didn’t ask you who you rather have on your team.
In an all star game I’d take Matthews, but if I was building a team to win a championship, I’d take Tkachuk because right now he’s the better player because of the intangibles. Both have about 300 points over the past 3 yrs. It could change this year, but as of this moment Tkachuk brings more.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Look at this. AC/DC is frantic! 11 of the last 16 posts! I wonder if the Marner camp got word that he won't get re-signed in TO and the panic is setting in?

His forum handle was in the quote you copied into your response but you couldn't get it correct in your post? Simply lazy.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
In an all star game I’d take Matthews, but if I was building a team to win a championship, I’d take Tkachuk because right now he’s the better player because of the intangibles. Both have about 300 points over the past 3 yrs. It could change this year, but as of this moment Tkachuk brings more.

Again not the question, so I don’t really care about all of that. Objectively, purely on hockey skill, who is the better player? It’s Auston and it’s not even close.

If the question was who would you build a team around I see your point.

But just purely hockey skill and objectively, Matthews is better than Tkachuk.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Which intangibles? You're passing on the best goal scorer in the last 20 years for "intangibles?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Again not the question, so I don’t really care about all of that. Objectively, purely on hockey skill, who is the better player? It’s Auston and it’s not even close.

If the question was who would you build a team around I see your point.

But just purely hockey skill and objectively, Matthews is better than Tkachuk.
I don’t look at just one thing. Both can skate both can shoot but Tkachuk is a winner with winning habits. I like winners so as of the end of last season I think tkachuk is the better player. Matthews has potential, but it’s hard to overcome his lack of compete.

Which intangibles? You're passing on the best goal scorer in the last 20 years for "intangibles?
Winning habits. He’s won a memorial Cup, two Eastern titles and a Stanley Cup. I really like that. It’s not a fluke.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1