Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
don't neeor want good people on the team, I want elite skill and that describes Marner to a tee. I'm not disputing that Marner has that 1980's frat house preppy unlikable douche bag face and that he acts and behaves like an entitled child. He is simply a generational talent, not elite generational like McDavid but for his generation there are very few players that produce at his production level. There is only one guy in his draft class with more points.

1722447360077.jpeg

images

images

1691779630-20230811-mitch-marner-wedding-2.jpg

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Has Nylander really outscored Matthews 17 - 13 in the last 5 years playoffs?

Maybe marner should be on his line?
I’m not sure if this was meant as a joke or not, but yes, he really should especially last year

We had that domi-Matthews-bertuzzi line buzzing and being a problem for the end of the season so they didn’t need anyone really.

Give nylander and elite setup man and see if he can’t replicate that Montreal series level of goalscoring. The only problem is Tavares, he’s not fit to play in any top 6 capacity, but especially not with these two. Although it wasn’t a line for the entire series, but whenever Tavares was with those two which happened a bit from my memory, he couldn’t keep up and make plays.

People need to go back and watch this Boston series, Tavares might’ve costed us 10-15 zone entries alone on the pp. he’d waste 30 seconds of the pp everytime. He didn’t make a single play that made you think “yea this is a top 6 C. This is the guy we’ve gotten to compliment nylander/Marner”. He got a puck from Matthews and slap shotted it in, and he got around a Boston defender (that guy shouldn’t play hockey after that) and shoveled a puck at the speed of a fart on net. He didn’t set anyone up, he had multiple breaks/open shots which he blew the f*** out of, and then there’s the pp entries I mentioned before. Tavares looked like a washed Jordan staal without the pk duties out there. He should’ve been relegated to fourth line but we had no options at Center

I went a bit off point, but yes Marner and nylander should play together. Marner can make up for nylanders defensive game, and maybe nylander can make up for marners lack of shooting pucks towards the net. Who knows, maybe nylanders playmaking would help Marner get better chances vs Matthews who isn’t as good.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But it does bode well for the fans.
Agreed, I feel bad for Mitch who has 1 month to grow a spine, because I checked on-line and Home Hardware, Canadian Tire and Walmat don't sell them. :sarcasm:

A new coach that is going to hold star players accountable, and expect them to play physical, with emotion, and finish their checks will bode well for fans, but thin skinned players may struggle, under a new system and voice behind the bench.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Agreed, I feel bad for Mitch who has 1 month to grow a spine, because I checked on-line and Home Hardware, Canadian Tire and Walmat don't sell them. :sarcasm:

A new coach that is going to hold star players accountable, and expect them to play physical, with emotion, and finish their checks will bode well for fans, but thin skinned players may struggle, under a new system and voice behind the bench.

How did Bozak do?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Yes, it will matter a lot.

The reasons he hasn’t been effective is what’s concerning. It’s not lack of playing time and bad luck. His lack of speed, below average shot, and lack body strength make it easier to defend him.

We’ve been told that practice and training is futile at this stage of his career and doesn’t help (which is absolute poopy cock) so are we down to hoping they draw a soft opponent, like Carolina or NJD?
Well, Marner is actually worse when they draw soft opponents. Hence the Montreal series. Especially in games 5-7 but ESPECIALLY in that game 6.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

You have to go in the store they are not sold online

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You have to go in the store they are not sold online
Well therein lies the problem

1722452534046.png

The biggest problem with Marner is

1722452701027.png

Some of Leafs particularly Marner think and wish they're going to have playoff success on talent alone and "wishing for the best" but we all know that it takes blood, sweat and tears and lots of hard work, and a willingness to do whatever it takes win including sacrificing ones body.

A Leopard never changes its spots, so to expect Marner to suddenly grown a backbone, take a hit to make a play, and willing to go hard to to net playing in traffic, when we have not seen that but the opposite in fact, is simply not going to happen.

New coach Berube and Marner are going to clash on playing style and expectations, and if the coach holds Mitch accountable for his soft play I can see a lot of bad press coming Marner's way.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Our fanbase has been propping up Hyman as some amazing goal scorer and top forward, I am glad we can finally all agree Hyman is super overrated.
He's a good player and had a great season. Yes, he is "super overrated" by some fans (and underrated by others), but isn't every player?

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
If the argument is he is the only person responsible for the Leafs failures, that is simply stupid.

My man, I’d like for you to sit down while you read this so this can be easily digested.

No one is arguing that.

1) Matthews plays the more valuable, hardest to fill position as a 1 c, and is setting records while doing it. He’s not going anywhere. And shouldn’t.
2) Nylander just signed a long term deal. He’s not going anywhere.
3) JT is on an expiring deal, and if he returns will be at a large discount.

Marner negotiated himself into being the odd man out. Marner will be demanding a raise. We need to move on to improve the team, Marner fan or not.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well therein lies the problem

View attachment 898379

The biggest problem with Marner is

View attachment 898380

Some of Leafs particularly Marner think and wish they're going to have playoff success on talent alone and "wishing for the best" but we all know that it takes blood, sweat and tears and lots of hard work, and a willingness to do whatever it takes win including sacrificing ones body.

A Leopard never changes its spots, so to expect Marner to suddenly grown a backbone, take a hit to make a play, and willing to go hard to to net playing in traffic, when we have not seen that but the opposite in fact, is simply not going to happen.

New coach Berube and Marner are going to clash on playing style and expectations, and if the coach holds Mitch accountable for his soft play I can see a lot of bad press coming Marner's way.
Yep, he was great under softees like Dale Hunter and Batshit Crazy Babcock and really struggled under Keefe's tyranny.

Good post!

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Craig Berube's past run-ins with star players raise some concerns in Toronto

New Leafs bench boss Craig Berube's bluntness has caused issues with star players in the past, which leads to concerns about how the "Core 4" will handle his style.

The fact that it was star players that had issues with Berube may not bode well for Auston Matthews, William Nylander, Mitch Marner and John Tavares in Toronto, given how many times we saw former head coach Sheldon Keefe have to walk back his public comments when he criticized them.

I like this guy already

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
They are, that's why the Marner fan club keeps talking about his point total to justify his dog shit play and attitude in the playoffs.

I believe the OP that brought up Tkachuks point was just pointing out, that even by that dumb points only metric and ignoring everything else that happens in a game, Tkachuk has been the superior performer. Because the person he responded to was talking about being unable to quantify it, when referring to Tkachuk.

So even by your own metrics and the rest of the hockey world that "knows how to watch" Tkachuk has been significantly better and more impactful. By your stat metrics, the point totals prove it + his cup win vs Marners stats + playoff history. And by the eye test, which most people use, Tkachuk blows him out of the water.

I didn’t think my post needed explaining. But I appreciate you doing this.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yep, he was great under softees like Dale Hunter and Batshit Crazy Babcock and really struggled under Keefe's tyranny.

Good post!

Agreed, I think some of Marner’s best playoff performances were with Babcock and Hunter. I actually think Marner plays way better under a more demanding coach. So I’m looking forward to how he plays under Berube

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Do we put an asterisks next to Stamkos and Drasaitl for playing with McDavid and Kucherov?
I wouldn't say "put an asterisk", but certainly look at the context, and yes, people do, particularly in Draisaitl's case.

Stamkos not as much, as he was well established before Kucherov.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
My man, I’d like for you to sit down while you read this so this can be easily digested.

No one is arguing that.

1) Matthews plays the more valuable, hardest to fill position as a 1 c, and is setting records while doing it. He’s not going anywhere. And shouldn’t.
2) Nylander just signed a long term deal. He’s not going anywhere.
3) JT is on an expiring deal, and if he returns will be at a large discount.

Marner negotiated himself into being the odd man out. Marner will be demanding a raise. We need to move on to improve the team, Marner fan or not.
Yup

Agreed, I think some of Marner’s best playoff performances were with Babcock and Hunter. I actually think Marner plays way better under a more demanding coach. So I’m looking forward to how he plays under Berube
That would be refreshing

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

I agree with this.

Elite athletes need someone to check them from time to time. These are guys that have money, fame, women, ext thrown at them. I’m sure perspective’s get distorted living that life.

Keefe should have been let go after MTL, he wasn’t the right coach for Marner at least. I would of been happy with Gallant honestly.

Reactions: francis246

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I’d like to add some perspective to the Marner fans as to why there’s a large number of leaf fans that are tired of the guy.

For me personally, the contract negotiation did it. All this noise from the “Marner camp”, the media, fans - the negotiating is exhausting to hear and is so drawn out, it’s crazy.

Then you have Matthews - all star, record breaking centre. Obviously based on AAV and term, there’s clearly some pretty tough negotiating happening. But we don’t hear a peep. It’s all done in a timely manner behind closed doors.

There just seems to be so much drama with Marner - pretty tiring for the average, hardworking person who expects, at least, some heart from the stars on our favourite team.

You can’t be tougher in the negotiations than you are on the ice. It just can’t work. Especially here.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wonder what happened to him(Marner) . Maybe Keefe’s system messed him up. The Leafs are banking on Berube changing things and maybe they’re right, but if they’re wrong…yikes.

Ad

Ad

Ad