Does Marner get Boo’d?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The Crosby/MacKinnon pre season skates are intense as hell and it’s invitation only. The only invite guys they feel can keep up with that level of intensity. It’s not a leisure skate by any means.

The public perception of Marner isn’t ever going to be same as the players. They absolutely love the guy. The public doesn’t get to spend all day with Marner so the public can only go off what they see on TV. I think most players do agree Marner gets more shit than is deserved in Toronto but that’s what comes with the salary cap. But he’s a hell of a talent, everyone can see that, so can his peers. He’s just a little overpaid. But so is Willy and Auston.

Not sure why you and others feel like other players around the league need to lie for Marner or something lmao. There isn’t any incentive for them to speak out and defend him. They like him and think he’s a good player, that’s all that matters. If you don’t, you don’t. But to think there’s a secret agenda for Marner is outrageous.
so you think its free gamw to hit eachother in thw training?

Also you think a player who is approached by the media and just trained with another player would say the player is a bit overrated, if thats what they believed?

Ive never denied that Marner is liked by people.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I think most players do agree Marner gets more shit than is deserved in Toronto but that’s what comes with the salary cap. But he’s a hell of a talent, everyone can see that, so can his peers.

This is what happens when you play extreme hardball during contract negotiation. So you are absolutely correct when you say perception differes from the players vs the fanbase/media. We are not in the room, the contract negotiation is the only version of Marner this fanbase was exposed to, that and the combativeness with the media. This is what a majority sees Marner as, as this is all we’ve been exposed too…

Nylander got shit on endlessly for the holdout - difference being he was signed for 6.9mil. It’s easy to insulate a contract like that.

If you demand 11mil + you are opening the door for criticism. Nylander will feel it much differently this year than he ever has, and if his play begins to slip he will hear it.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
so you think its free gamw to hit eachother in thw training?

Also you think a player who is approached by the media and just trained with another player would say the player is a bit overrated, if thats what they believed?

Ive never denied that Marner is liked by people.

When NHL players don't like a guy they have never been shy to speak their mind. I remember Mike Hoffmann for example, even his own teammates were blasting him in the media coming into a training camp.

The thing is, I don't think they feel is overrated. I feel like MAYBE they feel he is overpaid, but I don't think there is any player in the league that feels he is an overrated player. If they did, I don't think they even invite him to train or even comment on the matter. If anything the messaging this summer suggest that the players around the league feel he is underappreciated by Toronto fans.

Reactions: ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1726079004641.png

We all know this, Leafs fans know he is one of the best players in the league. We just are growing impatient, waiting for this level of talent to show itself in the playoffs. All the talent in the world is meaningless, if you can't deliver when it counts.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
When NHL players don't like a guy they have never been shy to speak their mind. I remember Mike Hoffmann for example, even his own teammates were blasting him in the media coming into a training camp.

The thing is, I don't think they feel is overrated. I feel like MAYBE they feel he is overpaid, but I don't think there is any player in the league that feels he is an overrated player. If they did, I don't think they even invite him to train or even comment on the matter. If anything the messaging this summer suggest that the players around the league feel he is underappreciated by Toronto fans.
1) Do players hit eachother during the training?

2) Ive bolded the key points in your last two posts:

The public perception of Marner isn’t ever going to be same as the players. They absolutely love the guy

When NHL players don't like a guy they have never been shy to speak their mind. I remember Mike Hoffmann

Well we've already established that Marner is liked by players. So what about players that are liked but other players but they think hes overrated? Then are players typically honest in front of the media?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is what happens when you play extreme hardball during contract negotiation. So you are absolutely correct when you say perception differes from the players vs the fanbase/media. We are not in the room, the contract negotiation is the only version of Marner this fanbase was exposed to, that and the combativeness with the media. This is what a majority sees Marner as, as this is all we’ve been exposed too…

Nylander got shit on endlessly for the holdout - difference being he was signed for 6.9mil. It’s easy to insulate a contract like that.

If you demand 11mil + you are opening the door for criticism. Nylander will feel it much differently this year than he ever has, and if his play begins to slip he will hear it.

Couldn’t agree more. Either way I do think we’ll probably see the best of this group.
I’m not expecting a cup win but I think they will claw to a conference final appearance. The goal has to be to win the division this year, obtain a great matchup and ROLL. I know our core has a ton of warts but I still believe they can figure it out. They have the talent to, let’s see if Berube and co can get it out of them

Reactions: Bust

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Couldn’t agree more. Either way I do think we’ll probably see the best of this group.
I’m not expecting a cup win but I think they will claw to a conference final appearance. The goal has to be to win the division this year, obtain a great matchup and ROLL. I know our core has a ton of warts but I still believe they can figure it out. They have the talent to, let’s see if Berube and co can get it out of them

I respect this stance.

I want this group to win, and I hope Berube is the coach to finally get through to this rendition of the leafs.

I did want Marner traded this off-season but I won’t actively root against him. I just wholeheartedly feel those cap dollars could/should be invested in our D and G. Either way I hope we go the distance.

Short of a Stanley cup final appearance I wouldn’t chalk this coming season up to anything positive. Cup final is the standard at this stage IMO.

JT and Marner playing for contacts could be a blessing in disguise!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This is a much deeper discussion that Im happy to have.

Ill make it short for now. Glad to expand as necessary.

Marner and Nylander since 2017-2018:

Contracts - Marners contract is worth 56% more than Nylanders.

Playoffs
Marner 5v5 with:
Matthews: 439 mins
Tavares: 237 mins

Nylander 5v5 with:
Matthews: 186 mins
Tavares: 235 mins

#of pointless 5v5 games in playoff career:
Nylander 33/54 = 61%
Marner 35/57 = 61%

# of 5v5 points in last 3 games of playoff series since 2018-2019:
Nylander: 9/21
Marner: 7/21

- Marner made 56% more money than Nylander for 5 years
- Marner played 253 more mins with Matthews (136%) 5v5 mins
- Marner has played 255 mins mins more with Tavares/Matthews than Nylander.

Id expect Marner be more offensive and better defensively than Nylander, hes been paid more than 50% more and has played 255 more mins with Matthews and 257 more mins with Tavares/Matthews than Nylander.

Key is linemates, Marner with 255 more mins with Matthews and 257 more 5v5 mins with Matthews/Tavares is incredible.

both players havent been phenomenal in the playoffs (ive said this many times in the past) but at 56% less money and without the 6 blatant screw ups in critical games that led to gwg against and considering Marner had played 136% more with Matthews....

Nylander is the easy choice for me.
Even keeping it very simple, and ignoring their respective linemates, over the last 6 years:

points/60 at 5v5:
Nylander 1.80
Matthews 1.74
Marner 1.54
Tavares 1.30

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Pretty weird take. His comments don't have anything to do with his expectations for either team.

True. It wasn't a quote, it was some nameless writer that wrote this crap.

A core that also features Auston Matthews, William Nylander, John Tavares and Morgan Rielly has faced similar questions to the ones posed to the Avalanche following a run of disappointing springs before that group finally broke through and won the Stanley Cup in 2022.

After his comments a couple of years ago about Matthews and Marner being "run out of town", I expected him to say something stupid like that again. But it was just the stupid author of that article this time.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
View attachment 906435

We all know this, Leafs fans know he is one of the best players in the league. We just are growing impatient, waiting for this level of talent to show itself in the playoffs. All the talent in the world is meaningless, if you can't deliver when it counts.

Regardless nobody can take the opinion of a fellow union member seriously. Even if he was David Clarkson bad he would have provided a positive opinion.

It's like your mom freaking saying you're a handsome man.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
This is a much deeper discussion that Im happy to have.

Ill make it short for now. Glad to expand as necessary.

Marner and Nylander since 2017-2018:

Contracts - Marners contract is worth 56% more than Nylanders.

Playoffs
Marner 5v5 with:
Matthews: 439 mins
Tavares: 237 mins

Nylander 5v5 with:
Matthews: 186 mins
Tavares: 235 mins

#of pointless 5v5 games in playoff career:
Nylander 33/54 = 61%
Marner 35/57 = 61%

# of 5v5 points in last 3 games of playoff series since 2018-2019:
Nylander: 9/21
Marner: 7/21

- Marner made 56% more money than Nylander for 5 years
- Marner played 253 more mins with Matthews (136%) 5v5 mins
- Marner has played 255 mins mins more with Tavares/Matthews than Nylander.

Id expect Marner be more offensive and better defensively than Nylander, hes been paid more than 50% more and has played 255 more mins with Matthews and 257 more mins with Tavares/Matthews than Nylander.

Key is linemates, Marner with 255 more mins with Matthews and 257 more 5v5 mins with Matthews/Tavares is incredible.

both players havent been phenomenal in the playoffs (ive said this many times in the past) but at 56% less money and without the 6 blatant screw ups in critical games that led to gwg against and considering Marner had played 136% more with Matthews....

Nylander is the easy choice for me.

1- in wich part how much they was paid change anything in the quality of player they actually are? you really need to explain me because its over the 7M Nylander.

2- last 3 year nylander played around 74 minutes with matthews, around 5 complete game at 5v5. he scored 3 goal allowed 3 but from those 74 minutes he played, 22 was with Matthews AND Marner and they scored 2 foal vs 0 allowed in thos 22 minutes... So in the 52 minute with Matthews and wothout Marner. So the the 3 game and half he played alongside Matthews the only goal they scored was the only goal game 7 vs boston when Carlo felt on the ice and gave up a free 2v1 and they allowed 3 goal. So its so easy to produce with Mathews, tell me why nylander was unable to produce with Matthews when Marner was not there??

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Very selective sample size!

Last 6 years:
Matthews 12
Nylander 8
JT and Rielly 7
Marner 6

Last 5 years:
Matthews 9
Nylander 7
JT and Rielly 6
Marner 5

Last 4 years:
Matthews 8
Nylander 7
Rielly 6
JT and Marner 5

Last 2 years:
Matthews, Nylander and Rielly 4
JT and Marner 3

Last year:
Nylander 3
Matthews and Marner 1
JT and Rielly 0

So congratulations -- you managed to find the only one of the last six time spans where Nylander wasn't second, tied for first, or first in goals scored.

If you look at several spans instead of cherry picking the one that suits your narrative, and particularly focus on the more recent, you can see that he is the one improving the most.

that's change nothing and just say basically the same thing i said.

Marner exemple at 5 goal, hes completly trash but how great nylander is at 7 goal???

focusing on last playeoff...
1 goal it was mcavoy who sent it in his own net when they miserally fail to block it

1 goal was a free 2v1 wher Carlo felt in corner and gave up an free 2v1...

So do 2 lucky goal really making nylander a better player?!?!?!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Just my opinion, but you really don't want other superstars feeling sorry for your program and rooting for your much maligned guys to have success...

When other teams look at your stars and program, you want them to do so with a mix of dread, a bit of jealousy, some schadenfreude and a lot of hatred. That's how you know you've been places, are a threat to their success and are the best of the best. Think about how people feel about Kucherov and Tampa, Florida when they're winning. Everyone hates those guys.

Reactions: ACC1224

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Even keeping it very simple, and ignoring their respective linemates, over the last 6 years:

points/60 at 5v5:
Nylander 1.80
Matthews 1.74
Marner 1.54
Tavares 1.30

you're right Nylander had been great to boost his stats with secondary assist

primary pts
marner 1.37
Matthews 1,32
Nylander 1.10
Tavares 0,98

secondary assist
Nylander 0,70
Matthews 0,41
Tavares 0,32
Marner 0,17

Reactions: Dekes For Days

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Regardless nobody can take the opinion of a fellow union member seriously. Even if he was David Clarkson bad he would have provided a positive opinion.

It's like your mom freaking saying you're a handsome man.
Even my Grama’s used to say I was a handsome young man and would have to beat the ladies away.

They lied. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: thewave and rumman

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So it's bad that Nylander is a lot better at setting up the set-up man than the other three?

or just mean he got free pts

exemple you skating in neutral zone with the puck, you dump it and your teammate goes 1st on the puck and make a pass for a goal... you get an assist for a dump...

you skating in offensive end and just making a basic pass to a d who shoot it with someone deflected the puck, you got an assist for doing basically nothing.

At least primary assist you srt up the play most of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad