Does Kucherov have a shot at becoming a top 5 winger of all time ?

Kucherov a top 5 winger ?

• Yes, he already is

Votes: 21 12.6%
  • Yes, he will be by end of his career

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • No, but he will be top 10

Votes: 74 44.3%
  • No, he will not by considered top 10

Votes: 23 13.8%

• Total voters

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Second amongst drafted in last 30 years after Ovechkin.

Right now I think Bossy is a good comparison to Kucherov. Monster playoffs, dynasty, and dominant in the regular season. The difference is that Kucherov is not going up against The great one so he can actually win some individual hardware. I think Kucherov drives his team more than Bossy did and with longevity he will pass him. I am really high on Kucherov and only have 6 wings clearly ahead, but some of them I have a hard time seeing him pass.

Howe
Jagr
OV
Bobby Hull
Lafleur
Bossy/Kucherov
Bossy has never had any season let alone two as good as Kucherov in 2018-19 and 2023-24.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Bossy has never had any season let alone two as good as Kucherov in 2018-19 and 2023-24.
To add, Bossy finished second in points only once and the difference between Gretzky and Bossy was the same as then difference between Bossy and the 39th highest scorer (smaller league as well).

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Now, that Kucherov has the NHL record for points in a season by a winger, he enters the conversation of being a top 10 or even top 5 winger of all time.

With his regular season accolades and impeccable play off performances, where do you see him by the end of his career ?
Jagr had 149 in 95-96 so he still has the points record by a winger

Reactions: ViD

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010

Agree. I think Bossy has a playoff edge, more strong seasons and his 82 season would lead the league if not for Gretzky which is why I have them tied right now. For me it would be enough with 1 more season like 19-20 to clearly pass Bossy.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t see why not.

There’s only one untouchable on the list (Howe).

There’s just enough chinks in the armor for the rest to be argued against depending on how the rest of Kucherov’s career plays out…and while Ovechkin is going to have the glory of the goal record clouding a lot of judgement, if we’re being honest, he has spent just two halves as a top 5 player post age 24 (second half of 2012-2013 and the first half of 2021-2022).

He was arguably the best forward in 14-15 as well

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Yet he was not a top 5 player for roughly 13 seasons worth of games since the conclusion of the 2009-2010 season.

I mean, he's 38. He was the absolute best player in the world for 3-5 years and top 3-5 for another 12 years after that, led his team to a cup at 33, and led the NHL in goals at ages 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34 - 7 times in 8 years but you think that's not a top 5 player?

Agree to disagree? I dunno.

Last edited:
Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There's no era adjustment that brings Ovechkin close to 145 points this year.

Henrik Sedin who played in the same era matched Ovechkin's career high in points playing 3 minutes a night less to boot.

Ovechkin’s ‘08 is roughly equivalent to 75 goals and 130 points today, with more primary points, less help, and better play driving 5v5. I think that’s better than what Kucherov is doing, though it’s close.

He also had 109 points in 72 games in ‘10, a 124 point pace, that’s roughly equivalent to 135-140 points today.

People need to stop focusing on the name of Henrik Sedin to denigrate players from that era. Yea he doesn’t belong with these other players, but the reality is he put up an Art Ross year that probably wins half the time in the last 30 years.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Now, that Kucherov has the NHL record for points in a season by a winger, he enters the conversation of being a top 10 or even top 5 winger of all time.

With his regular season accolades and impeccable play off performances, where do you see him by the end of his career ?
No he doesn't.

I voted top 10, he needs more years to get there, but certainly looks like he's on his way. I don't see him cracking the top 5....not sure how he could be seen above Howe, Ovechkin, Hull, Jagr or Lafleur

Reactions: ViD

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Among contemporaries is Kucherov clearly better than Patrick Kane? That's not a knock on him but a legit question? Their credentials are pretty close, I'd say.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Dingo

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Wait....I just looked at results....there are 3 people that think Kucherov, if his career ended today is already ahead of 1 of Howe, Jagr, Ovechkin, Hull or Lafleur? How can someone people come to that conclusion?

killa3312

Mar 4, 2015
Among contemporaries is Kucherov clearly better than Patrick Kane? That's not a knock on him but a legit question? Their credentials are pretty close, I'd say.

My Best-Carey

Kucherov is like Kane turned up a couple more notches, I think he’s definitely the superior player at his best compared to Kane’s best.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Top 10 most likely. Howe, Bobby Hull, Jagr, and Ovechkin are all better. Jagr has 5 Art Ross wins including 4 in a row.

Disagree, I prefer Kucherov at his peak to Ovechkin. When did Ovechkin score 145 points?
Ovechkin has 9 Rockets and will probably finish with 900 goals. 20 seasons of being a dominant goal scorer. That trumps anything Kucherov has done.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Didn't see that this was all time before voting. Oops.

Kucherov currently sits at a 1.2PPG in the regular season. If he keeps that pace up for another 3 years, he'll have about 300 more points. Skaters usually see a decline past that point (or close to it), so if he falls off a cliff or retires at 33 where does he fit at that point?

I think Ovechkin and Jagr are above him due to their longevity and similarity of accolades otherwise. Howe, Lafleur, Richards and Hull are all up there.

Kucherov is now currently the sole record holder for most assists in a season by a winger (currently at 96). Assuming he wins the Ross this year, that'll put him up to two Rosses.

If he doesn't win anything else after this, keeping his current accolades and assuming he wins the Ross, I could see possibly putting him above Hull on the top 10 list.

Now, if he plays for 6 seasons at this pace instead of 3? Or if he wins 2 more Rosses or another Hart...I think that's when it starts getting dicey for me. There's a non zero chance he ends up with just as many points or just below Jagr, and he could definitely get a few more Rosses. IF he ends up with 4+ Rosses, 2 cups, and at least one Hart? I think he'd be pretty close to breaking into the top 5. Very debateable.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Wherever Jagr is, I think Kucherov will rank either just below or just above. Same tier.

I'm at just below Jagr, hard to argue Jagr doesn't have the same peak but significantly better longevity. And he still has 5 Art Ross's, 3 Lindsays...

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I'm at just below Jagr, hard to argue Jagr doesn't have the same peak but significantly better longevity. And he still has 5 Art Ross's, 3 Lindsays...
Peak isn't even the same....Jagr, at his peak, was scoring more points in lower scoring era.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Peak isn't even the same....Jagr, at his peak, was scoring more points in lower scoring era.

When did Jagr score more than 139 points in a year with LOWER scoring than 2024? None.

Also, Jagr playing with Lemieux is like Kucherov getting to play with McDavid.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I mean Jagr didn’t really have generational center competition during his Art Ross years though.. Mario and Wayne were not playing much

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
When did Jagr score more than 139 points in a year with LOWER scoring than 2024? None.

Also, Jagr playing with Lemieux is like Kucherov getting to play with McDavid.
I was talking average peak, not single year....but his 62g and 149pts was in a year with basically the same scoring as this season. I get the Lemieux thing though. I'm not a Jagr fan by any stretch of the imagination, I simply don't see any argument whatsoever that Kucherov would be ahead of Jagr (today anyway).

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I mean Jagr didn’t really have generational center competition during his Art Ross years though.. Mario and Wayne were not playing much
His Art Ross competition wasn't that strong, but he was competing with a top 2 goalie of all time in Hasek for the MVP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad