Does JR get extended?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
He's done better than I originally thought he would. That being said, this team has a poor balance on the wing. Really damn soft. Team is as boring as Carolina a lot of the time. Retirement is ideal. He has a five year old child, correct? Needs to spend quality time with him/her at his age.

Qualified replacements can easily be found. Would prefer to look outside of the organization.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Only a few complaints about JR for me, the biggest one being the Despres trade that somehow Guerin forced him to make at gunpoint. I really wanna clean house completly though, including new owners. Get a coach that likes and plays the youth...BB is this type. Also a guy who is good with offensive weapons, once again this is BB. Also get rid of the dead weight. Knowing how active JR is, i'm sure he's been trying but nobody wants our junk.

Oh no did you forget? We were offered a king's ransom for both and declined because we just like to be stupid. At least that's the rumor :rolleyes: It can't possibly be because no one wants the same overpaid, useless players we don't want either.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
JR has made 3 bad moves in my opinion. Or I should say the Penguins have made 3 bad moves since JR has been here because I’m not sure how much power he exactly has.

1. Despres for Lovejoy, obviously, but the whole who actually forced that trade question. If the guy that forced that trade is one in line to become the next GM, then the Pens can absolutely do worse than JR.
2. Hiring Johnston. Not a fan of Johnston, but even that aside, he butchered how he went about doing it.
3. Not cutting the dead weight. Al though, this is easier said than done thanks to Shero giving Kunitz and Scuderi NTC’s and who knows if ownership would approve buying them out.

Considering the spot that Shero left them in with their prospect pool and some bad contracts, I’ve been pretty pleased with JR. I wouldn’t be totally opposed to him sticking around another year, but I kind of expect that the team will be sold and the new owner will pick his guy before next offseason.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I'm not a penguins fan, but does it make any sense for this team to keep two highley paid centers in Malkin and Crosby? The potentially could move one for a package and make this team better by filling in holes. I would say at minimum they would get 3-4 players back....

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I'm not a penguins fan, but does it make any sense for this team to keep two highley paid centers in Malkin and Crosby? The potentially could move one for a package and make this team better by filling in holes. I would say at minimum they would get 3-4 players back....

:popcorn:

popcorn_gus.gif

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's pretty hard to judge JR until all of Shero's mistakes are gone.
He did try to part with one in the Kessel deal, you know.
Their contracts are hard to move.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

These are world class players who are locked in forever.
It makes zero sense cuz the actual package they get for one won't come close to putting the team over the top.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Just imagine trading both and getting 8 players back. HOLY COW!

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown

How does it work under the salary cap? Take Sid for example. His cap hit is actually a bargain relative to what he's accomplished. It's only 8.7m. So to trade him for a group of NHL players, and have it work financially, it'd have to be a group of 3 or 4 guys that total out to the 8-9m range. I don't think I need to tell you that it'd probably be a pretty underwhelming group. Not exactly a smart swap value wise. Young, elite, cheap players don't really exist outside of a select few guys on ELCs and nobody is giving them up. So trading for a group of NHL players is probably out.

Then what's the alternative? Trading 1 for 1 for a guy who is similarly talented? Ok, well there aren't many of those out there and the few who are in Sid/Geno's class, or close to it, either already make more or play on teams that will never give them up. Besides it's a pointless lateral move anyway. So that's out too.

So what's left? Trading them for some massive combo of prospects/picks? Sure, that's a viable option. But only for a team that's cashing it in and rebuilding. The Pens don't seem to have any interest in doing that. The reality is that trading Sid/Geno to "fill holes" and still keep the team competitive is pretty much a pie in the sky scenario. Every competitive team has a core. Sid/Geno is ours. You either surround them with complementary pieces and hope to get to a cup or you trade them away and commit to a full rebuild. It's one or the other imo. There's no swapping out one core for another. Doesn't really work like that. Especially in the salary cap era.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
These are world class players who are locked in forever.
It makes zero sense cuz the actual package they get for one won't come close to putting the team over the top.

It does not appear the team is going any where with both of them..... Sid will never get traded, that leaves Malkin. So the other option is to let both of them get old, and get nothing back.....that means full rebuild after they retire.

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It does not appear the team is going any where with both of them..... Did will never get traded, that leaves Malkin. So the other option is to let both of them get old, and get nothing back.....that means full rebuild after they retire.

There's nothing wrong with that, as long as the FO is proactive about stocking the system a couple years before those two are finished.

If they time it right, they can have a fresh crop of young prospects ready to step in when Sid and Geno are ready to hang them up and it becomes Sprong, Dumo, Jarry, and Sheary's (shhhh, I'm hopeful)team to lead.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
JR wanted a quick fixture and failed miserably,but he somehow has done a great job according to this place.lol.

I'm bored waiting for Battlefront to download... so I'll bite. What exactly has JR failed at (outside of the Despres trade, that's a given at this point. And personally I only give him half credit because of the "rumor" it was Billy G's call and the Counsel of 9 works in ways a FO shouldn't)?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It does not appear the team is going any where with both of them..... Sid will never get traded, that leaves Malkin. So the other option is to let both of them get old, and get nothing back.....that means full rebuild after they retire.

See thats just the thing. It can go places with them quicker than if you trade Geno for maybe a #2 DMan + a winger/less than suitable C replacement plus a pick imo.

I'd trade the Kessel's and Letang's before i ever traded the Geno's or Sid's.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Neal trade,Perron trade,Winnik trade,banking on Pouliot and Cole playing in the top 4,hiring/not firing MJ etc.
I think the better question is " what hasn't he failed at?"

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
JR wanted a quick fixture and failed miserably,but he somehow has done a great job according to this place.lol.

It was never gonna be a quick fix with what he inherited from RS.
He's done an admiral job making the F core deeper than it's been in many years though.

started with Neal, Sutter.
Now has Horny, Kessel, Perron, Bonino and Fehr.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Neal trade,Perron trade,Winnik trade,banking on Pouliot and Cole playing in the top 4,hiring/not firing MJ etc.

Neal trade was at worst a wash... Perron trade isn't a failure, it was what they needed (and could get at the time) and is starting to come around to the positive currently... Winnik, I'll give you a failure... DP is Shero's bust, it's not JR's fault that's what he was left with and he did show signs last year of possibly being able to take that role... I have nothing to say on the MJ front, we have no idea how much control he has over the coach in terms of the other GMs and owners wishes and wants

I think the better question is " what hasn't he failed at?"

Phil Kessel, Daniel Sprong, Eric Fehr, Sutter is not longer here, Bonino, Clendening (in limited time) looks like he can be a good part to the blueline, Plotnikov (at least showing interest in international FAs), not going "All-In" at the deadline on rentals and washed up vets, the deepest crop of forwards the Pens have had since the 2000's started, drafted projectable players and not long shot lottery tickets, MAF's extension, Cole for Bortuzzo, resisted the urge to re-sign Adams, hasn't traded Bennett (yet) and let him develop... I'm sure there's 2 or three things I'm missing.

May 10, 2010
I'm bored waiting for Battlefront to download... so I'll bite. What exactly has JR failed at (outside of the Despres trade, that's a given at this point. And personally I only give him half credit because of the "rumor" it was Billy G's call and the Counsel of 9 works in ways a FO shouldn't)?

If he doesn't make his own decisions how we do know what he succeeded at? Maybe the moves you like were dictated by the FO office too. Maybe he does nothing but pick up the phone after being given the order. Who the hell knows with this team?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If he doesn't make his own decisions how we do know what he succeeded at? Maybe the moves you like were dictated by the FO office too. Maybe he does nothing but pick up the phone after being given the order. Who the hell knows with this team?

That's why I'm not absolving him completely from anything. I still chalked it up in his "mistake" column. If I'm giving him full credit for any good that has been done under his watch, I'm giving him full credit for the failures unless otherwise stated. And the Billy G/Despres was from a credible source but not completely confirmed, hence the 1/2 credit.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
JR is the reason they are a middle of a pack team with no prospects, Shero at least left him def prospects.

JR traded youth to try and build a team that can win the cup, he failed, this team isn't close to a cup contender.

He should of kept the prospects and picks and tried to rebuild the team with youth.

ugh,

you are so wrong

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Thank god our team is an offensive dynamo thanks to his vision!

And if this was November 2014, that statement would be made without irony. :laugh:

Under any other coach, this is a forward corps that would (should) be killing it. Someone who changes the system and sits the players that are passed it and will be alot better off.

OG Bobby Farnham said it:

started with Neal, Sutter.
Now has Horny, Kessel, Perron, Bonino and Fehr.

That's a massive improvement, and it includes Beau playing more significant time every week, and the wild cards of Sprong and Plotnikov. As it stands I'm just glad we're not looking at a bottom six full of Adams, Glass, Megna, Goc, or TK.

At wing JR has done more in 18 months than Shero did in five 5 years.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
For me, it's not so much that we need to get rid of Rutherford but we need to get rid of the entire front office and coaching staffs. Rutherford has done a reasonably good job but I just don't trust this collective management team at all. Too many cooks, and no real direction or clue.

It donned on me recently just how influential Gary Roberts seems to be around the NHL. Maybe we should hire him to be the President of Hockey Operations a la Brendan Shanahan? I mean, why not? He's obviously still very close to Pens ownership and has a lot of pull around the league. Then maybe he can lure someone away to be our next General Manager, someone like Kyle Dubas maybe from Toronto or Mike Futa from LA? Trevor Timmins from the Habs is still on my radar, as well.

We need a managerial and structural overhaul. Roberts could be just the right fit, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad