Does JR get extended?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Shero did leave JR with quite a few def prospects.

JR traded away 3 first round draft picks already.

JR deserves plenty of blame for this team not having prospects.

2 of those 1st rounders were used to bring in top 6 wingers. In 2 years, JR brought in better wingers than Shero did in his entire tenure (with the exception of Hossa).

I have already said that the Despres trade was monumentally stupid and I blame JR, regardless of whoever else wanted to do it. That said, there were rumors of dumping Despres the season prior to that too.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kessel's worth two late 1sts. Perron isnt worth what we gave up it looks like. But if we can flip him in part of a deal for a better fit longterm, JR's done his job well.

JR's job isnt to restock the cupboard. It was to build a team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
2 of those 1st rounders were used to bring in top 6 wingers. In 2 years, JR brought in better wingers than Shero did in his entire tenure (with the exception of Hossa).

I have already said that the Despres trade was monumentally stupid and I blame JR, regardless of whoever else wanted to do it. That said, there were rumors of dumping Despres the season prior to that too.

Yeah, he traded away future for current players.

How is that working out for this team?

He traded away the future to help the team and team still isn't good enough to win a cup.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hope so. The sutter trade was a good one, took sprong, cole trade was good. Hes done okay, he didnt give scuderi,kunitz or duper the contracts.....not his fault hes stuck with them.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

He traded away the future to help the team and team still isn't good enough to win a cup.

If we didn't have Kessel and Perron we would probably be one of the worst teams in the league, which I guess is what you'd prefer.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
JR took over a team that was one win away from making the ECF.

The team now is further away from winning the cup then it ever was under Shero.

They aren't even a lock to make the playoffs this year.

You said:

Its a middle of a pack team with no prospects.

He inherited a team with an empty cupboard. He only really wasted Despres (Sammy, Harrington and Kappy all on logical, good deals that helped the team).

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If we didn't have Kessel and Perron we would probably be one of the worst teams in the league, which I guess is what you'd prefer.

I'm not sure what your watching if you think Perron is a player that's keeping this team from being one of the worst teams in the league.

Kessel has been decent, not great, he has definitly helped, but he doesn't help enough to make this team a cup contender.

MAF is the main reason this team is in a playoff spot at the moment.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I'm not sure what your watching if you think Perron is a player that's keeping this team from being one of the worst teams in the league.

Kessel has been decent, not great, he has definitly helped, but he doesn't help enough to make this team a cup contender.

Would you say JR has also been hamstrung by Kunitz, Dupuis, and Scuderi's deals?

And JR did lock down MAF to a great extension before he exploded into the elite discussion.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You said:

He inherited a team with an empty cupboard. He only really wasted Despres (Sammy, Harrington and Kappy all on logical, good deals that helped the team).

JR is the reason they are a middle of a pack team with no prospects, Shero at least left him def prospects.

JR traded youth to try and build a team that can win the cup, he failed, this team isn't close to a cup contender.

He should of kept the prospects and picks and tried to rebuild the team with youth.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Would you say JR has also been hamstrung by Kunitz, Dupuis, and Scuderi's deals?

And JR did lock down MAF to a great extension before he exploded into the elite discussion.

Yes.

But every GM signs bad contracts, even Bowman and Lombardi have signed bad contracts, JR left Francis with a nice big Alex Semin contract before he left Carolina.

The MAF contract looks good now, i'm not saying he hasn't made good moves, but the direction he took this team is terrible.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
JR is the reason they are a middle of a pack team with no prospects, Shero at least left him def prospects.

JR traded youth to try and build a team that can win the cup, he failed, this team isn't close to a cup contender.

He should of kept the prospects and picks and tried to rebuild the team with youth.

So no Kessel?

Shero left:
DP (still here, but not progressing)
Sammuelsson (traded basically for Perron)
Kasperi (Kessel deal, you would have made it as well, don't lie)
Harrington (Kessel deal, see above)
Despres (we'll not go there)
Jarry (still here)
Murray (still here)
Dumo (best blueliner on the team right now)

And a smattering of prospects like Uher, Kühnhackl, Guentzel, Blueger, Ruopp, McNeil and a whole host of Shero prospects. Out of all the Shero prospects JR shipped out 4... 2 in a deal every poster on this board praised and agreed with (Kessel), 1 in a deal that we're split on (Perron) and 1 we'd kill to undo (Lovejoy).

To say JR ruined the system is ignoring that Shero had already burnt it to the ground.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Considering the fact that he's a member of our most effective line, I'd say he's a piece of the puzzle at the very least. His play hasn't been very good though, I understand that. He's a significantly better option than Kunitz in our top 6 though. He's our best natural LW right now.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
JR took over a team that was one win away from making the ECF.

The team now is further away from winning the cup then it ever was under Shero.

They aren't even a lock to make the playoffs this year.

That team was not a cup contender. Remember the multiple blown leads and mental breakdowns against the Jackets? Remember how the offense dried up against the Rangers (3 goals in the last three games) and the answer was to overload a line with Geno and Sid?

It was a miracle that they even got the series to 3-1. Lets not act like there was any brilliant roster construction involved.

Getting Iggy, Jokinen, Murray and Morrow to go "all in" back in 2013 is something Shero can take credit for, if anyone wants to give him credit for that. But obviously only 2 of those players were good, and only one ever made a long term contribution on the Pens. Morrow was a complete waste and Iggy was completely wasted by coaching.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
So no Kessel?

Shero left:
DP (still here, but not progressing)
Sammuelsson (traded basically for Perron)
Kasperi (Kessel deal, you would have made it as well, don't lie)
Harrington (Kessel deal, see above)
Despres (we'll not go there)
Jarry (still here)
Murray (still here)
Dumo (best blueliner on the team right now)

And a smattering of prospects like Uher, Kühnhackl, Guentzel, Blueger, Ruopp, McNeil and a whole host of Shero prospects. Out of all the Shero prospects JR shipped out 4... 2 in a deal every poster on this board praised and agreed with (Kessel), 1 in a deal that we're split on (Perron) and 1 we'd kill to undo (Lovejoy).

To say JR ruined the system is ignoring that Shero had already burnt it to the ground.

I wouldn't of made the Kessel deal.

The Kessel deal is exactly what the pens needed 5 years ago, at that time the pens were close to a cup team, he could of maybe been the difference.

My main thing with JR is that he went all in on a team that wasn't good enough to go all in with, it wasn't a Phil Kessel away from being a cup contender.

And JR isn't done yet, hes going to keep on trading away youth to try and win now, you just know hes going to be trading more youth and draft picks sometime this year for a def.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

What? You are really having trouble identifying who did what.

JR traded 1st for Perron who we will get 1.5 years of (and at the time the intent was to sign long term). If he can either re-sign or flip for a dman this season, I think he did an okay job there. I can buy that trade had poor long term vision and say it didn't pan out but let's wait to see what he does with Perron.

JR traded two 1sts for a 27 year old elite scoring winger. You do that trade every time.

JR traded Despres for a terrible return. That one was brutal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wouldn't of made the Kessel deal.

The Kessel deal is exactly what the pens needed 5 years ago, at that time the pens were close to a cup team, he could of maybe been the difference.

My main thing with JR is that he went all in on a team that wasn't good enough to go all in with, it wasn't a Phil Kessel away from being a cup contender.

And JR isn't done yet, hes going to keep on trading away youth to try and win now, you just know hes going to be trading more youth and draft picks sometime this year for a def.

What would you have him do then? If you aren't getting Kessel and trying to win, they you need to try and re-build. Would you move Letang, Malkin, or Crosby?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Even if you didn't do the Kessel deal, the farm system is still in the same situation.

I don't see anywhere were JR has gone "all-in" and left the franchise with nothing.

Either way, I would not like it if JR got an extension.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
What would you have him do then? If you aren't getting Kessel and trying to win, they you need to try and re-build. Would you move Letang, Malkin, or Crosby?

I would of kept Sid and Geno if they were willing to stay, i don't even know if you could of traded Letang coming off his concussion last year.

I would be playing the young guys on blue line like DP Dumoulin Harrington.

I would be giving players like Wilson Sheary and Sundqvist playing time with the pens.

I'd be giving players like BB and Sprong big minutes playing on the top 6.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Only a few complaints about JR for me, the biggest one being the Despres trade that somehow Guerin forced him to make at gunpoint. I really wanna clean house completly though, including new owners. Get a coach that likes and plays the youth...BB is this type. Also a guy who is good with offensive weapons, once again this is BB. Also get rid of the dead weight. Knowing how active JR is, i'm sure he's been trying but nobody wants our junk.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I would of kept Sid and Geno if they were willing to stay, i don't even know if you could of traded Letang coming off his concussion last year.

I would be playing the young guys on blue line like DP Dumoulin Harrington.

I would be giving players like Wilson Sheary and Sundqvist playing time with the pens.

I'd be giving players like BB and Sprong big minutes playing on the top 6.

Do you think our prospects are any good as a whole? Dumo is playing. DP was garbage and earned the demotion. He will be back this year. That said, the things you listed here are mostly coaching decisions and not JR's decisions. Sure he could fire the coach, but that's not what your original argument was.

I agree they need to play the youth but the only guy you listed that we can't play because JR traded assets away is Harrington. The rest are still in the organization. I'm struggling to understand how most of what you said is JR's fault for leaving the cupboard bare.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad