Does Anybody Else Find An Effective 8:30 ET Start Time Horrendous?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It's a little early in the morning for me, but I usually wake up midway through the 2nd period so it's alright.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Look at the NBA, MLB championship games starting times, the networks televising the games dictate the starting times to maximize the number of viewers.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
They scheduled it this way for max viewership. Believe it or not, most people can handle staying up until 10:30PM on a weekday :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: 1989

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA
Worst part of the early start in the West, is parking for the games. The offices are still open so prices go sky high since there are limited spots.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Nobody cares that Albertans need to hurry from work to watch the game. You'll still watch it. Meanwhile, you're losing millions in viewership from the east. Do you know how many people live in New York, Minnesota, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Ontario, etc. combined? A lot. That's how much viewership you're losing.
Agreed that nobody cares about Alberta...never have...never will. The odd thing is that their are a lot of radio ads BEGGING for Canucks fans to move to Alberta. They will pay you 5 grand! Seems odd to beg for Canucks fans to go to Alberta and properly establish a PRO-BC playing field so these second rate eastern teams know where they stand.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Yeah, though I find almost all NHL starting times Horrendous, these particular games start 2.30 am for me. If they start 1 am, 2.30 am or 4 am doesnt really make That big of a difference.
Doesn't matter to me either, all the gamers start in the middle of the night until the early hours

Nobody cares that Albertans need to hurry from work to watch the game. You'll still watch it. Meanwhile, you're losing millions in viewership from the east. Do you know how many people live in New York, Minnesota, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Ontario, etc. combined? A lot. That's how much viewership you're losing.
People really don't stay up to watch the whole game? What's wrong with you?

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
it’s funny seeing people whine about late starts when as a Wings fan I spent decades enduring the 8:30 9:30 even 10:30 start times for games and eastern conference fans would tell me to stop complaining because “it’s not that bad”. Suck it up snowflake

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
it’s funny seeing people whine about late starts when as a Wings fan I spent decades enduring the 8:30 9:30 even 10:30 start times for games and eastern conference fans would tell me to stop complaining because “it’s not that bad”. Suck it up snowflake
“Suck it up snowflake” really should have been the 1st response in this thread and we could have ended there and then

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

830 and 900 playoff start times in the central is the norm, can't tell if we are catering to the snowflakes in the east or west but who cares about the local fans.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It’s Saturday night

Agreed that nobody cares about Alberta...never have...never will. The odd thing is that their are a lot of radio ads BEGGING for Canucks fans to move to Alberta. They will pay you 5 grand! Seems odd to beg for Canucks fans to go to Alberta and properly establish a PRO-BC playing field so these second rate eastern teams know where they stand.
People from BC have been flocking here for years. Right now people from all over Canada are coming here more than ever to escape the housing/cost of living crisis.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
It is timed out to where the game usually ends right before the 11 pm local news without a 15 minute gap where viewers drop off. It is so the local affiliates get the lead in audience from the game.

It has been this way for 30+ years.

Most games are indeed timed as you say - for local concerns for the local audience including time relative to local news.

It’s specifically the Stanley Cup final that’s being talked about in this thread though. Which has the games played in the Eastern time zone starting broadcast at 8 eastern, and the games played in the Mountain time zone starting broadcast at … 8 eastern. They are very specifically *not* scheduling to local time zone concerns - they’re scheduling the cup final games uniformly for national broadcast despite and contrary to local time zone ideals.

And the OP here still complaining that it’s too late. That despite bucking the ideals of the mountain time zone’s local scheduling by being earlier than their ideal, the op is complaining that it didn’t go far enough and should have been even earlier to serve eastern time zone viewers.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Most games are indeed timed as you say - for local concerns for the local audience including time relative to local news.

It’s specifically the Stanley Cup final that’s being talked about in this thread though. Which has the games played in the Eastern time zone starting broadcast at 8 eastern, and the games played in the Mountain time zone starting broadcast at … 8 eastern. They are very specifically *not* scheduling to local time zone concerns - they’re scheduling the cup final games uniformly for national broadcast despite and contrary to local time zone ideals.

And the OP here still complaining that it’s too late. That despite bucking the ideals of the mountain time zone’s local scheduling by being earlier than their ideal, the op is complaining that it didn’t go far enough and should have been even earlier to serve eastern time zone viewers.
I’m referring specifically to the 8:20 starts for the Cup Final. It starts at about 8:20 so the game finishes at about 10:55 eastern to lead right into the local news on the ABC (previously NBC and Fox) stations in the eastern and central time zones, where more than 50% of US tv audiences live. It isn’t scheduled for a local audience, but the preferences of the national broadcast who wants it times that way for their eastern affiliates.

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
1718496607347.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes