Do You View This Team as a Legitimate Cup Contender?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you consider the Blues Cup contenders for the upcoming season?

• Total voters

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I vote Contender. Almost every player on this team is a cup champion. Of the ones that aren't, Krug has been to the finals twice, and Faulk has been to the conference finals. Scandella has had some playoff experience. Husso, and Kyrou are the only ones that have had very little or no playoff experience. The only way they aren't contenders is if they get hit hard with injuries, which can be said of any contender. I predict Faulk will be better next year as he has now settled into the system the Blues play.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Gotta love the hypocrisy here. Same fans who tout "AnY tHiNg CaN HapPeN iN tHe PlaYofFs" are already writing us off before watching one game with this new lineup, which still has an above-average defense whether you like it or not.
Also the fact that Bouwmeester is now labeled as a major loss when 2 years ago fans were counting down the days until his contract was up.

I realize he was battling injuries and got healthy, but he has still been steadily declining the past few years. Now at 37, this probably would have been his last season even if he didn't get forced into retirement. He wasn't playing at as high of a level as people think, and Scandella (albeit in a small sample size) provided a higher quality of play than him. In fact, Scandella reverted back to how he normally played with the Wild, which is a better player than Bouwmeester has been the last few years. Not surprisingly, Scandella's worst seasons came when he was on Buffalo. Other than that he has been solid throughout his career. I'm also hopeful that Mikkola can step up and play sound defensively for us - we definitely need him to, and if he can, then it greatly helps balance the pairings and we should be fine.

A major part of Bouwmeester's decline is because he was inept with the puck on his stick. Krug and Faulk actually contribute more because of that reason.

They are both definitely not as good as Pietrangelo, and that's why I am in the "wait and see" stage. What I don't understand is why people think our style of play needs to change though. Our style of play is activating the defense and we are at our best when our D join the rush and contribute goals. Krug will fit in well with that and Faulk should have a bounce back season as well. We will still be strong in transition, and we have the physical forwards to play our heavy type of game in the offensive zone. Not much will change on that front and we will make the playoffs. Do I think we will win the Cup? No, I think it's going to be Colorado's year. But a lot is going to change once again in a year with the expansion draft and all that, so we'll re-evaluate our chances then.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Also the fact that Bouwmeester is now labeled as a major loss when 2 years ago fans were counting down the days until his contract was up.

I realize he was battling injuries and got healthy, but he has still been steadily declining the past few years. Now at 37, this probably would have been his last season even if he didn't get forced into retirement. He wasn't playing at as high of a level as people think, and Scandella (albeit in a small sample size) provided a higher quality of play than him. In fact, Scandella reverted back to how he normally played with the Wild, which is a better player than Bouwmeester has been the last few years. Not surprisingly, Scandella's worst seasons came when he was on Buffalo. Other than that he has been solid throughout his career. I'm also hopeful that Mikkola can step up and play sound defensively for us - we definitely need him to, and if he can, then it greatly helps balance the pairings and we should be fine.

A major part of Bouwmeester's decline is because he was inept with the puck on his stick. Krug and Faulk actually contribute more because of that reason.

They are both definitely not as good as Pietrangelo, and that's why I am in the "wait and see" stage. What I don't understand is why people think our style of play needs to change though. Our style of play is activating the defense and we are at our best when our D join the rush and contribute goals. Krug will fit in well with that and Faulk should have a bounce back season as well. We will still be strong in transition, and we have the physical forwards to play our heavy type of game in the offensive zone. Not much will change on that front and we will make the playoffs. Do I think we will win the Cup? No, I think it's going to be Colorado's year. But a lot is going to change once again in a year with the expansion draft and all that, so we'll re-evaluate our chances then.
Very true. Lots of revisionist history on JayBo. Great guy, but even with his resurgence he was merely adequate in tough role. Parayko largely carried him.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
My answer is still contender as for sure.

There is only 1 teams as of now that I consider better than us. Colorado. After that it is Vegas Dallas and us in a tier.

Dallas and Blues are very similar teams.

Vegas has great top pair on defense, but look at their forwards and not much center depth.

IMO Blues are top 2-5 team in the West depending on the goaltending next year.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I'm holding off voting until I see how we address the top 6 forward situation. I'm more concerned about that than our D corps.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’ve thought about this question a bit. I’m going to argue that being a contender or not has less to do with having no flaws on the roster. The Blues’ biggest asset is the number of players who KNOW they can win a Cup and have experienced first hand how to do it. I think a veteran team like that is going to be a threat to win any series in the post-season, irrespective of matchups and other factors. It’s not to say they will be favored in all those series. But there is a reservoir of resolve they can draw from that a team on the way up just won’t have yet.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I put unsure because the offseason isn’t over yet.

However, I will say that if this team opened the season, they’d go in as a contender to make it to the Final. The West isn’t that deep, and I’d also only put Colorado as better than us.

Vegas didn’t get better with the Petro signing unless Glass comes in and crushes it.

Dallas hasn’t done anything this offseason to get better, and let’s not forget, nobody had them going far after their regular season. A lot of people thought they’d lose to Calgary round one, and if Tkachuk doesn’t get hurt, it probably happens.

Also, when it comes to the playoffs, this team has players that know how to get it done in the postseason. They weren’t prepared well for the bubble, and I think they also just didn’t want to be there. I also think people are stressing about this season, because the most recent thing we saw was them playing at their worst since winning the Cup.

Idk, in general I think there’s too much panic. Vladi is probably only gonna be out for a month of the season, and I get the concern about his shoulder, but he adds a lot just by being on the ice in general. Having him on the second or third line helps from a strategic standpoint. Teams are always gonna focus on him, which gives his linemates more space to do their thing. It also potentially gives our other top guys some easier matchups, which only benefits us.

Krug is a gamer, Faulk will bounce back, Binner and Husso will be a very solid duo, and I truly believe Thomas and Kyrou will be full time top 6 guys by the end of the season. Losing Petro absolutely sucks, but it’s not the end of the world for this team.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Like Cali just said, a huge factor is the fact that most of the west is a mess. Last century’s powerhouses and contenders like the Hawks, Kings, Ducks, and Sharks have become bottom dweller just over the past few years.

Then teams like Nashville and WPG fell apart before they became consistent contenders. So right now, the fact that the rest of the West is so much weaker gives me hope for the Blues. Dallas looked like they might miss the playoffs when the pause happened in March.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
His career worst season
Well, he breath from powerplay icetime. Pietro out, but Krug most likely will take Pietro's icetime at PP1. Question is that WHO will play PP2. Last season Parayko and Dunn were better for on PP than Faulk.
I assume Parayko will eat majority of 5on5 and PK icetime, well somebody has to :laugh:. Dunn most likely out from Blues so Faulk should get PP2 icetime. Which means his produce will rise from the ashes. Its no brainer he increase his produce compare to last season, but its wishful thinking it will go sky rocket. I think Faulk can produce ~ 25-30 points / season. With PP1 we could speak of more. I have post somewhere in Blues board where I did separate Faulk's 5on5 vs PP produce and there was huge cap. He can only produce at powerplay.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
If Binnington returns to form, and I think it's completely reasonable to expect, then we could be a playoff team. But we're not a deep playoff team anymore IMO. And our downside is pretty ugly if things don't come together.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
All I know is, they better redeem themselves after the Edmonton no show, because they looked like they were ready to take their pucks and go home post haste.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
All I know is, they better redeem themselves after the Edmonton no show, because they looked like they were ready to take their pucks and go home post haste.
It would have been strange to get eliminated by Vegas and then have Pietro sign there. This team had no business losing to Vancouver. But Vegas and Colorado were tough enough I could see it. Dallas overachieved, and they would have given the Blues everything they could handle.

Reactions: Ridge1982

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm not convinced team is worse than last year. We need guys to step up but that isn't unikely. Petro of course is better than Krug, but our D was all jumbled last year. Having better balance of right and left and guys in appropriate roles is not to be underestimated. Great teams aren't just built around 1 great player or Oilers would be league's best. Isles improved after Tavares left. CBJ only slipped a bit after losing Panarin. Heck Tampa won Cup basically without Stamkos. I am excited for this team.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
playoff contender: yes
cup contender: no, not right out of the box

certainly possible, but the blues will have to adjust with a cornerstone moving on and that may take a season or two

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm holding off voting until I see how we address the top 6 forward situation. I'm more concerned about that than our D corps.
I agree with this. I'll have to wait and see what other significant moves they make and how the goaltending is. I expect significant changes in the defencemen corps, as well as adding a veteran scoring forward to replace Tarasenko. I would guess they'll be in the mix of 2nd-level playoff teams, below the first level of The Avs, Knights, and Stars in The West, and be only a longshot to win The Cup, IF everything goes right. Both Binnington and Husso will have to have really good seasons, the defence will need to coalesce, having the group, as a whole absorb Petro's minutes at a reasonably adequate level, and Parayko, Faulk and Krug will need to step up their responsibilities and defensive games to match, and they will need to provide a higher level of help to the offence than ever. I was hoping that if Petro would leave, The Blues could use some of that salary reduction to help sign Hall. I still think they need to add another scoring forward. Counting on Kyrou to break through with a high-level scoring year is probably asking too much. He'll probably progress at the same rate he has so far, which means he'll finally be a full-time regular, and put up maybe 35 points. I think the Blues need to add Hoffman or someone comparable, with a track record of scoring 20+ goals EVERY year over the last several.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I agree with this. I'll have to wait and see what other significant moves they make and how the goaltending is. I expect significant changes in the defencemen corps, as well as adding a veteran scoring forward to replace Tarasenko. I would guess they'll be in the mix of 2nd-level playoff teams, below the first level of The Avs, Knights, and Stars in The West, and be only a longshot to win The Cup, IF everything goes right. Both Binnington and Husso will have to have really good seasons, the defence will need to coalesce, having the group, as a whole absorb Petro's minutes at a reasonably adequate level, and Parayko, Faulk and Krug will need to step up their responsibilities and defensive games to match, and they will need to provide a higher level of help to the offence than ever. I was hoping that if Petro would leave, The Blues could use some of that salary reduction to help sign Hall. I still think they need to add another scoring forward. Counting on Kyrou to break through with a high-level scoring year is probably asking too much. He'll probably progress at the same rate he has so far, which means he'll finally be a full-time regular, and put up maybe 35 points. I think the Blues need to add Hoffman or someone comparable, with a track record of scoring 20+ goals EVERY year over the last several.

Agreed;

I think the priority should be another top-6 forward, without which, and without a Tarasenko at close to 100%, we won't be able to compete with a more offense oriented (which is the trend in the league anyways) system, given that we have taken two big hits in defensive zone coverage with JayBow and Petro.

If we can sign someone like Hoffman or similar, then I would change my vote. But as of right now, I would have to say no.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think they can be a dangerous team in the playoffs...a tough out, like Columbus or the NYI.
Losing Pietrangelo hurts...but he's not being replaced by a rookie. Adding Krug fills that giant chasm to some degree. Faulk's increased role should fill some of that loss too.
Tarasenko's loss didn't cripple the offense last year; I wouldn't expect it to do so this year either. This is a big year for Binnington, and with the team defense probably a bit worse than last year's, he needs a nice bounce-back season. If he shows up and performs at last year's level, the Blues will be looking for a goalie come '21-'22. If Sanford, Blais, Kyrou or Sundqvist can find another gear, the Blues will be fine. If the power-play can maintain last year's level (which is a big question with the personnel changes and loss of Savard), they should be able to score 3 or 4 goals most nights. If the PK, goaltending and team defense don't improve though, they'll be giving up 3-4 goals most nights too. I hope Big Bird (Larry Robinson) is brought back in some capacity to work with the defense...and I hope VanRyn finds a way to get the most out of his D-corps. At least very least, they'll be entertaining to watch.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I think the double whammy of losing Pietrangelo and not knowing what you are getting out of Tarasenko has knocked them out of being a contender to an also-ran playoff team that would need a lot of help to make the WCF. The top 6 has 4 guys who are comfortably top 6 players in ROR, Perron, Schwartz and Schenn. I remain unconvinced Sanford is a legit top 6 option, or that he is going to take some extra step. He was certainly better last year, but his numbers were influenced in large part thanks to big jump in Sh.%, particularly in February where he scored 9 goals (he had 6 goals in the 39 games before that), 4 of which were in that weird game against Vegas. By the time the season starts he will be 26 and he seems to be what he is at this point; a nice depth piece who can slide up in a pinch but is only relatively effective when he's stapled to ROR's hip. Thomas seems well on his way to being a top 6 player sooner rather than later and is probably the one young player I could see making a sudden jump that bolsters the team this coming season and moving forward. The defense has been covered ad nauseam, but I will simply say I have my doubts. For a team already short on true impact talent, losing a top 5 defenseman and perhaps one of the best pure goal scorers in the league in the same offseason is going to have an impact. I think they'll make the playoffs but that doesn't make the team a contender.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Who replaces Tarasenko if he doesn’t come back full strength and Steen if he totally falls flat?

I can see us figuring out a strong defense with what we got, but we’re out scoring power (Tank, Pie) and this team had habitual issues with scoring. Who replaces their output?

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Who replaces Tarasenko if he doesn’t come back full strength and Steen if he totally falls flat?

I can see us figuring out a strong defense with what we got, but we’re out scoring power (Tank, Pie) and this team had habitual issues with scoring. Who replaces their output?
I am confident Krug can replace Petro output (although Petro is stronger defensively). We need Thomas to step up along with increased contributions from at least 1 of Kyrou/Blais/Sanford if Tank isn't back and at his normal level. It is definitely doable.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Thomas needs to start shooting.
I am by no means saying Krug and Faulk are a replacement for Petro but I think we will as a team be fine. We're still a strong team and once the playoffs start anything can happen.
In the last 4 years we have done the following.

3rd round exit
missed the playoffs
won the cup
1st round exit

Are you all going to really be upset if we go 2nd round, 3rd round, 1st round etc?

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I am confident Krug can replace Petro output (although Petro is stronger defensively). We need Thomas to step up along with increased contributions from at least 1 of Kyrou/Blais/Sanford if Tank isn't back and at his normal level. It is definitely doable.

I think it's pretty clear now that while they are nice complementary players, Blais and Sanford are not in a position to drive offense on any line. They are best served as depth scoring in the bottom 6 on a contender. I don't think we should be relying on a rookie like Kyrou to replace most of what Tank brought.

I think the only way that they make it past the 1st round next year, barring some serious overachievement, is to get another top-6 scorer. Tarasenko appears likely to miss most of the season, and may not be 100% for some time after he get back.

Reactions: The Note

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
It would have been strange to get eliminated by Vegas and then have Pietro sign there. This team had no business losing to Vancouver. But Vegas and Colorado were tough enough I could see it. Dallas overachieved, and they would have given the Blues everything they could handle.
The warning signs were there in the Chicago game.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad