Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Honest question for Leafs fans:

Do you trust our rookie GM Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

With what's transpired with William Nylander, do you believe he's going to be able to sign both of Matthews and Marner, and if so, to team-friendly deals?

I look at his managerial career thus far and I think he did some good stuff with the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, but they don't pay players to play. They're drafted and/or recruited.

I'm also aware him and his team know how to play with the numbers a bit to capitalize on the Leafs' financial clout.

But in terms of actually negotiating, being tough, and standing-off with professional sports agents who've spent their entire careers on the other side of negotiations with NHL General Managers, do you think he has what it takes? He doesn't believe in using tough players, but does he believe in tough negotiations?

As one of the most defining matters facing this franchise after this season's end, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
How anyone can call what happened with Willy a win for Dubas is laughable. He couldn't get that done at the beginning of the season at that price? Under his watch, Nylander broke a record for holdout in the cap era. And we overpaid him (debatable part of this) But the damage that has done with the 2 more important negotiations around the corner?

Dubas folded. And allowed a player to disrespect the team in the process. AM and Marners agent smell blood. He's gonna get pressed sooo hard. Cause he's already showed he'll fold.

It's bad imho

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
How anyone can call what happened with Willy a win fro Dubas is laughable. He couldn't get that done at the beginning of the season at that price? Under his watch, Nylander broke a record for holdout in the cap era. And we overpaid him (debatable part of this) But the damage that has done with the 2 more important negotiations around the corner?

Dubas folded. And allowed a player to disrespect the team in the process. AM and Marners agent smell blood. He's gonna get pressed sooo hard. Cause he's already showed he'll fold.

It's bad imho

Exactly. Nylander dominated Dubas.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Nylander deal was disgusting. After a holdout that long, it should be a team friendly deal, not a player friendly deal. The term is bad (1 ufa year bought, only thing worse would be a 5 year deal), the salary is bad.

On top of that, dubas promised not to trade him, which is insane considering we gave him a player friendly deal already.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
How anyone can call what happened with Willy a win for Dubas is laughable. He couldn't get that done at the beginning of the season at that price? Under his watch, Nylander broke a record for holdout in the cap era. And we overpaid him (debatable part of this) But the damage that has done with the 2 more important negotiations around the corner?

It's bad imho

If he got it done at that price in September, we'd be looking at a $7.5m per year cap hit.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If he got it done at that price in September, we'd be looking at a $7.5m per year cap hit.
We have to speculate this. Maybe you're right. I just think there's no way he shoud've seen more than Pasta. A: because I don't think he's as good B: It would set a bad precedant with AM and Marner contracts coming up. Nylander is not good enough to risk that with those 2. They should've let him sit and gone after Simmonds. Not looking so crazy now.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

It's bad imho
No. Nylander wanted 8-8.5 per.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nylander deal was disgusting. After a holdout that long, it should be a team friendly deal, not a player friendly deal. The term is bad (1 ufa year bought, only thing worse would be a 5 year deal), the salary is bad.

On top of that, dubas promised not to trade him, which is insane considering we gave him a player friendly deal already.

People are not realistic about what Nylander is worth.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
We have to speculate this. Maybe you're right. I just think there's no way he shoud've seen more than Pasta. A: because I don't think he's as good B: It would set a bad precedant with AM and Marner contracts coming up. Nylander is not good enough to risk that with those 2. They should've let him sit and gone after Simmonds. Not looking so crazy now.

If salaries were tied directly to other salaries without compensating for cap inflation, no one would be making more than $8.7m.

Reactions: bentharbs

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If salaries were tied directly to other salaries without compensating for cap inflation, no one would be making more than $8.7m.
I've always been wishy washy with Willy. Thought he was too soft and lacked that winning drive. So my evaluation will naturally dictate what I think he's worth. Pasta money would've been my ceiling based on reason I explained earlier. Big picture.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The inclusion of "rookie" there is a thinly-veiled attempt to discredit him. It was unnecessary.

You even impressed The Winter Soldier with that one. Great company.

Our rookie GM is a rookie. That's just a fact. Sensitive Kool aid drinkers would take it as an attempt to discredit.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
The inclusion of "rookie" there is a thinly-veiled attempt to discredit him. It was unnecessary.

Don't think agents don't take that into consideration. Most of the agents have far more negotiating experience than the rookie.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

He is in fact a rookie GM...

That fact is pretty much the whole point of why I asked the question to the forum...

I'd say I'm sorry for not taking into account your own personal feelings and sensitivity to it but that'd be pretty insincere of me ;)

Reactions: FraumBallard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad