Do you think the building of the core is done?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do we have our core for the future?

• Yes

Votes: 62 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 108 63.5%

• Total voters

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
G- Fowler, Dobes, Monty, Volokhin
LD- Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Engstrom
RD- Reinbacher,Mailloux, Barron, Konyushkov
C- Suzuki, Dach, Kapanen,Beck, Hage
W- Slaf, Demidov, Caufield, Roy, Newhook
Bunch of other guys like Struble, Mesar, Eriksson, Tuch, Xhekaj can also pan out or be just part of the trade for high end quality.
I would like more depth at RD and Dach's health is the only question mark. 2025 is deep draft for big forwards, so we might fill some holes there as well.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
It's a concern to leave your tanking years without an elite centre or #1 defenceman....
To be frank, the quality of the last three draft/ our position in the draft might be the culprit.

How could this management have drafted a #1D and a #1C? Cooley instead of Slaf? Dickinson instead of Demidov?

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I think we're in pretty good shape, but I'm still a bit skeptical. We have a lot of prospects and young players with high ceilings, but we do need to see them progress into their NHL roles. I think things will be looking pretty nice if some key prospects progress by next year's draft and if calgary's and our picks end up both in the top 20 somewhere.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No it’s not done until I see Dach be healthy and fully take that next step. Also need Caufield to start performing to the level of his contract.

We also need to see someone step up to be the 1D. Who can we play 25 mins in a playoff game? Not sure right now.

And finally, what winger will plug the hole on the 2nd line? I see Slafkovsky and Demidov as 1st line guys, Caufield to make a nice 2nd liner. Who is on the opposite wing? I don’t think it’s Newhook long term. I need to see Roy more.
Newhook produced at about a 50 point pace. Not too many teams can claim that the number 6 guy is a 50 point player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Newhook produced at about a 50 point pace. Not too many teams can claim that the number 6 guy is a 50 point player.
It was more encouraging once he came back from injury. He showed something at centre. Hopefully he can find consistency, then you never know.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I still think we need one more top 6 and a surefire #1 D. But this core can definitely compete if all goes right.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
It was more encouraging once he came back from injury. He showed something at centre. Hopefully he can find consistency, then you never know.

Just did the nerd calculations when I saw this post. The last 5 Stanley Cup winners when you pro rate their no. 6 F's points, it averages out at 50.4 pts with the outliers being Colorado in 2022 with burakovsky at 62 points and Florida in 2024 with Rodrigues at 40 points

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I mean who wouldn’t take more prospects?

That being said we are stacked at every position. Slowly get rid of the anchor vets and let time do its magic.

The way I see it our top 6, center line, D, and goalie are done deal. All assets under team control for many years!!!

Center line

Suzuki
Dach
Newhook
Beck

Wingers
Slaf
Demidov
Caufield
Roy

LD
Guhle
Hutson
Xhekaj

RD
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Barron

G
Fowler
We will get an established winger via trade or FA and push Roy down to the 3rd line where he belongs.

Barron is not a bottom pairing defenseman. If he can't make the top 4, he's not needed here. I see Engstrom or Struble there.

Barron go bye bye soon!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Yes because I believe in Dach.

We have our two top 6 centers (Suzuki & Dach), we have our 3C (Beck & Kapanen), we have our elite offensive talent up front (Demidov) and on the back end (Hutson), we have two defenseman in Guhle/Reinbacher who can match up against any type of forward in the league, we have our big power winger (Slafkovsky), we have our sniper (Caufield) and between Dobes/Fowler/Volokhin I believe we have our goalie.
Pretty much how I feel as well honestly bud, people writing off Dach way too soon (again)

And all that was without mentioning Newhook and Roy who could REALLY round out the Top9 as above average 3rd liners that you can also squeak into top 6 in a pinch
(Hage is insurance at C, could be top9 too)

And all that is without potential trade+free agency in the coming years

These guys are building it RIGHT man, and it was fun and exciting... even before getting Demidov bahaha

Happy days

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
On paper it looks like done but there are too many wild cards and variables that can mess things up

Ideally a contender has 2 top 6 centers and one solid 3C. Suzuki, Dach and Beck looks like it on paper but we have to hope Dach stays healthy and Beck does indeed turn into what we think he will be

Other than that we've got 3 very solid pieces on the wing with Caufield, Slaf and Demidov.

The one thing we are lacking for the rebuild is a solid PMD, ideally RD. While Matheson is one, I'm not sure he'll be here in 2 years

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Pretty much how I feel as well honestly bud, people writing off Dach way too soon (again)

And all that was without mentioning Newhook and Roy who could REALLY round out the Top9 as above average 3rd liners that you can also squeak into top 6 in a pinch
(Hage is insurance at C, could be top9 too)

And all that is without potential trade+free agency in the coming years

These guys are building it RIGHT man, and it was fun and exciting... even before getting Demidov bahaha

Happy days
Getting McGroarty gives you a different vibe for either the 2nd or the 3rd line. I think if we nab him, you can go forward with that group and add in a more conventional manner (UFA, trades or some astute bargainbining).

The rebuild would be complete in my book. Adding the Edmunson or Chiarot of the world at the deadline when you need those types start to make sense in a couple of seasons, depending on who survives the step up from junior/Ahl.

Maybe an Askorov for a 1a/1b tandem with Monty? What do you think needs to happen in nets?

Reactions: Redux91

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
On paper it looks like done but there are too many wild cards and variables that can mess things up

Ideally a contender has 2 top 6 centers and one solid 3C. Suzuki, Dach and Beck looks like it on paper but we have to hope Dach stays healthy and Beck does indeed turn into what we think he will be

Other than that we've got 3 very solid pieces on the wing with Caufield, Slaf and Demidov.

The one thing we are lacking for the rebuild is a solid PMD, ideally RD. While Matheson is one, I'm not sure he'll be here in 2 years

Well, don't care if it's right or left.....Hutson is a hell of a PMD in the making
I also think that regardless of Beck, we have Suzuki, Dach, Newhook

We're not buiklding the perfect paper team, no one does, that's why top teams at TDL are given away tons of asset to complete their puzzle

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
We don’t yet have a true #1 D, but a few hopeful top 4 defensemen at least
Yes. I see two obvious pieces missing

A true #1 defenseman and a true legit #1 goaltender

I also agree that Dach is still a question mark but I would say ideally we would have another top center but that is less of a worry.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know what people are talking about when they say we don't have a future 1D. We have several dman with 1D potential.

Hutson, Guhle, Mailloux, and Reinbacher all have 1D potential.
Our own GM sees Reinbacher as a #2 dman, Guhle's offensive game isn't good enough for a 1D on a cup contender, and Hutson/Mailloux defensive game needs to be exponentially better to be that type of player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Just did the nerd calculations when I saw this post. The last 5 Stanley Cup winners when you pro rate their no. 6 F's points, it averages out at 50.4 pts with the outliers being Colorado in 2022 with burakovsky at 62 points and Florida in 2024 with Rodrigues at 40 points
Yeah but they also have 100+ point players. The Habs don’t have that, so they need the 2nd and 3rd lines to be better.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Maybe an Askorov for a 1a/1b tandem with Monty? What do you think needs to happen in nets?
I agree on your D thinking btw
its actually why all of a sudden I want to hold onto Savard incredibly lol

Askarov could definitely be an option *now after* actually picking our #5+#21 kids this year, I just didn't want to trade them honestly

But our *entire* 2025 ammunition is up for grabs now as far as I'm concerned

Monitor Fowler and Volokhin next 2 years carefully too
See if any 'star' goalies are on the upcoming draft horizons maybe too

Getting Demidov has literally changed everything, it's wild.

Reactions: Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I agree on your D thinking btw
its actually why all of a sudden I want to hold onto Savard incredibly lol

Askarov could definitely be an option *now after* actually picking our #5+#21 kids this year, I just didn't want to trade them honestly

But our *entire* 2025 ammunition is up for grabs now as far as I'm concerned

Monitor Fowler and Volokhin next 2 years carefully too
See if any 'star' goalies are on the upcoming draft horizons maybe too

Getting Demidov has literally changed everything, it's wild.
I want to make sure we don’t end up like Oilers or Avs or Leafs, and have a juggernaut without a credible G option :laugh:

Nothing more depressing than watching David Aebischer leak goals and cut the legs from the team hahaha

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Yeah but they also have 100+ point players. The Habs don’t have that, so they need the 2nd and 3rd lines to be better.

The Habs biggest problem as seen during the season is depth. Their 3rd and 4th lines were absolute trash. The 2nd was not good enough. Needed Dach back badly. And high end defenceman which they're getting soon. Demidov will probably be able to be the best forward on your team for a cup winner. Slaf is an excellent no.2. Suzuki is a great no.3. There's no reason to assume he won't progress again this year and up his point totals to PPG. I'm hoping Dach bounces back and shows his preseason form from last year and if he can, could be a 70ish point player. That's good enough on the top end. The only SC winners recently to have 100+ point players were Colorado and Tampa.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Habs biggest problem as seen during the season is depth. Their 3rd and 4th lines were absolute trash. The 2nd was not good enough. Needed Dach back badly. And high end defenceman which they're getting soon. Demidov will probably be able to be the best forward on your team for a cup winner. Slaf is an excellent no.2. Suzuki is a great no.3. There's no reason to assume he won't progress again this year and up his point totals to PPG. I'm hoping Dach bounces back and shows his preseason form from last year and if he can, could be a 70ish point player. That's good enough on the top end. The only SC winners recently to have 100+ point players were Colorado and Tampa.
Well Florida have Tkachuk who got over 100 points the season before so to me he’s that type of talent. But you’re right about Vegas and I think that would be the model that Kent and Gorton will have to follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad