Do you think the building of the core is done?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do we have our core for the future?

• Yes

Votes: 62 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 108 63.5%

• Total voters

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
Quite obvious from the draft the value of a RD. If you think levshenkov at #2 is good, I have no doubt reinbacher is a similar player. And then you got guys like yak and parekh going way higher than buium and dickinson. Even last year with shishev.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Quite obvious from the draft the value of a RD. If you think levshenkov at #2 is good, I have no doubt reinbacher is a similar player. And then you got guys like yak and parekh going way higher than buium and dickinson. Even last year with shishev.
This isn’t news. RD with size and skating come at a premium on par with Cs with the same attributes, maybe even more so.

It’s why a guy like Barron who has underwhelmed every step of the way so far is still around.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Nope. No stud #1D and no elite 1C. And nobody who looks like they can become those pieces. And before anyone gets up in arms, Suzuki is a fine player and a 1C, but I don’t see him as the type of C that Cup contenders have on their top line. We’d need him to become a 100 point C or a guy who wins Selkes while simultaneously providing his current offense. There’s a slim chance it could happen because he’s still only 24, but I’d say the odds it does aren’t good.

Suzuki has been dragging a piano or even 2 on his line half the time in the past 2 years and when he actually had two real top 6 quality wingers he produce as top C while facing top opponents......he still had to drag a 2nd line that couldn't carry the load during that time.

I can't wait for the day Suzuki will have a full season qith actual top 6 quality wingers and a 2nd line center able to carry the load. Probably be next year, but surely the next after that.

Mackinnon needed Rantanen to become who he is....not saying Suzuki is as good but he also need to play with top quality skill to get there,

Reactions: Habs7631

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Some of the components people are penicilling as core players are less than 24 hours into their NHL journey. Let's relax a little and see if they pan out or not.

Also, there's still room to improve on. Still a slew of draft picks next off-season plus whatever we can acquire from deadline trades later this coming season. We aren't there yet. Close, maybe

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
It’s a matter of preference.

It’s complete if you want to be a mid team.

If you want to be a cup contender that can beat Florida or Dallas you need another top pairing D. Probably another top6 forward too.

Reactions: Habs7631

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
It’s a matter of preference.

It’s complete if you want to be a mid team.

If you want to be a cup contender that can beat Florida or Dallas you need another top pairing D. Probably another top6 forward too.

I'm sorry but Reinbacher, Guhle, Hutson, Mailloux, Matheson, Xhekaj, etc is a much better core than either of the SC final teams. When you have ekblad on your top pair, you're in trouble and they still won. Edmonton had Ceci and kulak. Enough said

• Haha
Reactions: Kent Nilsson

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No it’s not done until I see Dach be healthy and fully take that next step. Also need Caufield to start performing to the level of his contract.

We also need to see someone step up to be the 1D. Who can we play 25 mins in a playoff game? Not sure right now.

And finally, what winger will plug the hole on the 2nd line? I see Slafkovsky and Demidov as 1st line guys, Caufield to make a nice 2nd liner. Who is on the opposite wing? I don’t think it’s Newhook long term. I need to see Roy more.

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
There are always busts and injuries and trades.

And regardless, next year (2025), the Habs are probably getting a 10-15 pick from themselves and a 24-32 pick from Florida via Calgary. For all we know, those might be great players, who will add even more to the core.

There may also be another late 1st from trading Savard at the deadline.

Then Armia and Dvorak will be UFAs and off the books.

I think that's when the rebuild ends. One more year.
I agree with one more year. They need to get a Jake DeBrusk in FA to compete better. I expect a bottom ten draft in 2025

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
I think we have atleast one more season of growing pains, with some flashes of potential, and pick up one more piece in the top 15… and that’s that. Demidov comes over. Trade for established players to patch any holes up front.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I'm sorry but Reinbacher, Guhle, Hutson, Mailloux, Matheson, Xhekaj, etc is a much better core than either of the SC final teams. When you have ekblad on your top pair, you're in trouble and they still won. Edmonton had Ceci and kulak. Enough said

I wonder if Nurse-Ceci works without McDrai. Maybe we should try.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
The young core is there but we're still one year away from Demi getting here so I think we're at least 3 years from being an actual top 10 team in the league

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
With Demidov in the system I truly believe we have a core that can compete for the Cup. We really ain't that far.

Next year's pick will probably a good one too, especially if we use both picks to trade up.

I love the way Hughes built this team, I believe in it.
we just finished 28 worst in a 32 team league where 3 of the four teams below us were trying to lose

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Suzuki
Slafkovsky
Dach
Caufield
Newhook

Demidov
Roy
Hage
Beck
Mesar

---

Guhle
Barron
Xhekaj
Harris
Struble

Hutson
Mailloux
Reinbacher
Engstrom

That's an astonishing number of young players to draw from to build the core over the next 5 years.

Maybe we're still sellers at next year's deadline, but I personally have no desire to pick top 10 again next year.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
The rebuild depend on Dach being healthy top 6 player.He is the Key to a successful rebuild. If he become a injure prone player. We will probably need another top 10 first round forward to complete it.

We will need another good top 6 forward to finish the rebuild (via draft, trade or UFA in the summer.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
? -Dach(?)-Domidov

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The rebuild depend on Dach being healthy top 6 player.He is the Key to a successful rebuild. If he become a injure prone player. We will probably need another top 10 first round forward to complete it.

We will need another good top 6 forward to finish the rebuild (via draft, trade or UFA in the summer.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
? -Dach(?)-Domidov

I have no doubt that if Kirby Dach stay healthy, the forward group will be fun to watch for many years to come.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
? -Dach(?)-Domidov
Even if Dach doesn't pan out, adding 2nd liners is something that even cup contenders look to do. I'm comfortable finding a replacement through a trade/signing, but I can't say the same for guys like Slaf/Suzuki/Demidov. That being said, we don't have a dman in the system that you'd think would be an all-situation stud #1. Reinbacher/Guhle are likely #2s as their ceiling, and Hutson/Mailloux defensive game is not something we can be comfortable with as of right now. It will be hard to find that stud #1 dman.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
we just finished 28 worst in a 32 team league where 3 of the four teams below us were trying to lose

I'm aware. It's why I said next year is also gonna be a good pick, I expect around 7-15.

Still, the team is going in the right direction and I'm absolutely 200% behind Hughes way of building this team.

I believe, man. I believe.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Even if Dach doesn't pan out, adding 2nd liners is something that even cup contenders look to do.

We're not counting on Dach to be "a 2nd liner". We need him to be a 1B center, because Suzuki likely won't top out as a top-10 center in the league.

Now, that is not a reason to hunt for another bottom 5 finish, but it's something to keep in mind. We need to stockpile enough assets and cap flexibility to address this need if Dach doesn't pan out.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The core is all set upfront. They can add depth and make lateral trades, but the foundation is there.

On the blueline, our chances of obtaining a great #1D is slim at this point, so we'll have to rely on depth. We're in great shape to do just that with our numerous defensemen prospects. Best chance at a true #1D is probably Engstrom actualizing his full potential.

Goalie is a question mark, hopefully our luck in that department continues. Montreal always find great goalies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don't know what people are talking about when they say we don't have a future 1D. We have several dman with 1D potential.

Hutson, Guhle, Mailloux, and Reinbacher all have 1D potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad