Would you be happy if Stan Bowman was hired as Oiler GM? Reinstated by the NHL

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your reaction if Stan Bowman is hired as GM?

• Not Happy

Votes: 61 43.6%
  • He was never convicted of a crime

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Happy

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • He should never work again in the NHL

Votes: 53 37.9%
  • unsure

Votes: 12 8.6%

• Total voters

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Keep that bum away. Sign even a Brian Burke type to be a figure head, JJ and the rest of the staff did a good job on their first July 1.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
This is so far a great offseason, Stan Bowman would absolutely deflate that

Wether he deserves a second shot or not is not up to me, but I don't want it to be on this team lol

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Hawks fans hated this guy before the scandal.

Rumor is that he messed up submitting the qualifying offers that were late and ended up making two players UFA then pinned it on a staffer.

Made bad trades too. Hjalmarrson and Panarin for example. Inherited a cup team from his predecessor and didn’t do the best job surrounding stars with players and not getting enough back for the guys who had to go due to financial reasons. Which is the exact job we’re hiring a GM for.

Heck no, look elsewhere.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
1). Bowman is a person of poor character. Demonstrably poor character. If you are choosing a guy to be the face of your organization to other GMs, players, and agents, you seriously want this guy?? Nope.

2). He’s not a very good GM. Most of the groundwork for the Blackhawks Cup runs was done before he got there. The best you can say is that he didn’t mangle it before it succeeded like Chiarelli did to us. So again, nope.

I would be highly disappointed if this was the Oilers choice.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Love how JJ said he’s been too busy with FA and hasn’t even thought about Bowman. Hopefully no fire where there is smoke on this one
It's a bit of a deflection of a statement considering part of the rumors involve JJ having Bowman in mind to replace Holland as far back as a year back when he was hired.

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
If the voting on this board is any indication of the general feeling, and I would assume it is, the choice would not be roundly welcomed. Even if he was off the charts as brilliant, which I don't think is the case, it would still be met with questions. Why would the organization invite this kind of unnecessary backlash. It's not worth it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Hawks fans hated this guy before the scandal.

Rumor is that he messed up submitting the qualifying offers that were late and ended up making two players UFA then pinned it on a staffer.

Made bad trades too. Hjalmarrson and Panarin for example. Inherited a cup team from his predecessor and didn’t do the best job surrounding stars with players and not getting enough back for the guys who had to go due to financial reasons. Which is the exact job we’re hiring a GM for.

Heck no, look elsewhere.

Don't want to defend him too much, but it was Tallon that screwed up the RFA situation and got fired over it

https://thehockeynews.com/news/top-shelf-why-did-tallon-lose-his-gm-grip

Bowman wasn't exactly an amazing GM, but he did retool the teams between each Cup run after 2010

All that said, they do not need to / should not give him the second chance here

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
No. Not at all.

A) All three of those guys are clowns or worse. They can all kick rocks.
A1) He wasn't even a good GM. Not only is this added bullshit stain a giant circus distraction but his ineptitude wholly makes it unjustifiable.

Not hard to retool when you have Keith, Kane, toews. That we haven't found a blind mouse who could do that for our team doesn't mean this blind mouse is any good.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I was proud of Rob Brown today on Got Yer Back saying why bother bringing in someone toxic when other qualified guys are out there. Strudwick was less against it but also equated it to the Babcock hire by CBJ and the PR disaster it was.

This team is full of good vibes right now. Why ruin it? I know Bowman has talked to Beech and Sheldon Kennedy and has apparently done a lot to try and learn from sex assault survivors and atone for his inaction but I just don't want him here and the Oilers don't need the headache hanging over them.

But part of me thinks he's coming here. For retooling and for what happens after the McDavid and Leon era whether that's two years or ten years away. And Katz doesn't care. If he wants it and Jackson and McDavid and people around the team are ok with it, it's happening.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
The GM is just insulating Jackson, who is making hockey decisions. I hope people don't melt. Biz called Bowman the day after the cup loss and it sure looks like it. People that want to stop supporting the Oilers need some context

tldr

Power dynamics are complex, and a PWF being raped is difficult to approach without a cultural lens. Hind sighting a complex event like this is easy, it's literally what I do fwiw, but in real time, they had two people, telling two stories. Bowman acted, without being sure of what happened, which was the ethical path

This guy had Q fooled so hard, he wrote him a recommendation letter post-disclosure ffs. Was Q recommending a rapist teach kids, or did some combination of Q's relationship with the abuser, Beach's scouting report, or Q's belief he would have killed the rapist in Beach's situation, create the necessary bias for a belief to form?

The mistakes made in the Beach situation just shouldn't be a factor. It was a rarer type of sexual assault, in a non trauma-informed sports organization, they were f***ed from the onset, and now nobody in hockey is more prepared to handle it than Bowman is imo

Last edited:

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I cannot see JJ doing this - but the clicks and s***storm this generated on X over the weekend was enough to hopefully fully sway him away from even considering that.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It may as well be cheech Marin considering the moves seem to be done and no picks to trade really....plus the oilers markup that always seems to happen in trades.

Stan Bowman ....I mean it's quite possible those guys looked at how that blew up in their face and took a hard look in the mirror and are now better prepared than anyone to handle abuse within an organization.

That said you could also hire anyone else and use them as Consultants. It's also quite likely there are better qualified Consultants outside of hockey.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The GM is just insulating Jackson, who is making hockey decisions. I hope people don't melt. Biz called Bowman the day after the cup loss and it sure looks like it. People that want to stop supporting the Oilers need some context

tldr

Power dynamics are complex, and a PWF being raped is difficult to approach without a cultural lens. Hind sighting a complex event like this is easy, it's literally what I do fwiw, but in real time, they had two people, telling two stories. Bowman acted, without being sure of what happened, which was the ethical path

This guy had Q fooled so hard, he wrote him a recommendation letter post-disclosure ffs. Was Q recommending a rapist teach kids, or did some combination of Q's relationship with the abuser, Beach's scouting report, or Q's belief he would have killed the rapist in Beach's situation, create the necessary bias for a belief to form?

The mistakes made in the Beach situation just shouldn't be a factor. It was a rarer type of sexual assault, in a non trauma-informed sports organization, they were f***ed from the onset, and now nobody in hockey is more prepared to handle it than Bowman is imo

Nope sorry can’t get on board with this. More than mistakes were made. A deliberate cover up occurred and he even gave him a recommendation after the fact. In no way does this POS deserve another chance especially in Edmonton. I love this team more than anything but if they hire this bozo I will no longer support them

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What the f*** do we need that bozo for. Jackson has shown he can run the ship himself for the time being.

Go hire Ducharme from Tampa or Sean Burke from Vegas or if you really must have an "old school" type in the interim then let Brian Burke be like an honorary GM while JJ and his staff actually make the big calls.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
All the effort to rebuild the team, to establish a desirable destination for players, and to sustain a favourable environment for hockey tickets buyers and fans would be lost in a flash by bringing Bowman aboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad