Do you think the building of the core is done?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do we have our core for the future?

• Yes

Votes: 62 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 108 63.5%

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I mean the core as in : top 2 lines, top 4 defenseman, #1 goaltender.

Obviously not saying there is no adjustements/trades/UFA signings in the next couple of years needed to build a contender: I'm strictly speaking about the core of the team for the next 10 years.

On offense we are pretty set with Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Demidov, Dach, Newhook, Roy, Hage, Beck and co. Our captain being the oldest of the bunch at 24 years old.

On defense with have a large group of young potential top 4 defenseman (IMO this is where we might still be missing a piece, such as a true #1 two-way beast). But most here seem comfortable with the Ghule, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Hutson, Xhekaj/Harris/Barron.

I don't know much about our goaltender situation, but I have read here that we have a good prospect pool on that front.

We are obviously picking top 10 next season barring some major surprise, meaning we will still add by default a possibly important piece to the core, but IMO, we are getting closer to have fully build the foundation of the team.

Agree or disagree? And if so, what in your opinion are the missing pieces for the future?

No, I think we'll need trades and UFA's to get the right mix.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
I mean the core as in : top 2 lines, top 4 defenseman, #1 goaltender.

Obviously not saying there is no adjustements/trades/UFA signings in the next couple of years needed to build a contender: I'm strictly speaking about the core of the team for the next 10 years.

On offense we are pretty set with Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Demidov, Dach, Newhook, Roy, Hage, Beck and co. Our captain being the oldest of the bunch at 24 years old.

On defense with have a large group of young potential top 4 defenseman (IMO this is where we might still be missing a piece, such as a true #1 two-way beast). But most here seem comfortable with the Ghule, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Hutson, Xhekaj/Harris/Barron.

I don't know much about our goaltender situation, but I have read here that we have a good prospect pool on that front.

We are obviously picking top 10 next season barring some major surprise, meaning we will still add by default a possibly important piece to the core, but IMO, we are getting closer to have fully build the foundation of the team.

Agree or disagree? And if so, what in your opinion are the missing pieces for the future?
I’d go all out for Askarov then yes

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The foundation is in place, but it has two obvious question marks:

1) Dach - if he can't stay healthy, we're going to need a good top 6 center to support Suzuki.

2) Our defense lacks a clear-cut #1. Guhle and Reinbacher probably won't be able to carry a pairing offensively and Hutson might not be able to play lots of tough minutes 5 on 5. Guhle has also not been the healthiest of players so far.

I think we should take first steps to making this team more competitive this offseason but be deliberate about it. We must make sure we have a stockpile of assets good enough to address at least one of the above-mentioned contingencies.

The rest will be solved by patience. Prospects will graduate and bad contracts will be cleared off the books. 2025 is the earliest when we can be really aggressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats and Andrei79

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I think next season we will miss the playoffs but be close and will therefore get a top 15 pick which will bring in a quality piece that will fit the core, but I believe the rebuild is over and it is time to start climbing up.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
With Demidov in the system I truly believe we have a core that can compete for the Cup. We really ain't that far.

Next year's pick will probably a good one too, especially if we use both picks to trade up.

I love the way Hughes built this team, I believe in it.

Reactions: Skala24 and jaffy27

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As for whether the core is now in place, I would suggest that we wait a few season to determine whether the many prospects that some are counting on even make the NHL as impactful players. The gap between potential and reality is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

2x 2nd line centers, 25-30 goal scoring top wingers, defensemen that can barely grow a beard with concussions and broken shoulders…

Let’s hope all the good prospects turn out as good as their hype in jr/college because “meh”.

Team needs veteran game breakers. UFA’s probably.
There's a lot to be excited about, however – as you've both noted – our team's success rides on a bunch of kids who haven't even started their NHL careers yet. Not all our young players need to become stars... but some of them do. In particular, our offence has been incredibly weak. Suzuki needs another two/three forwards equal or above him in order for the Habs to become a contender. Caufield, Dach, Slafkovsky, Demidov have that potential... but we'll need to see it in the next two/three years.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
2nd line centers don't have near-ppg seasons on teams that can barely score.
Sure. I might be greedy, but that’s only half the production of the league top scorers (although about 15th in centers). I obviously love his game, just middle of the pack right now compared to the elite, and he’s hab best player.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes. Demidov is all we needed. Hage and Beck are insurance for Dach + 3C.

Demidov, Slaf, Suzuki, Guhle, Reinbacher, Dach and potentially Hutson is a cup winning core. It's lacking a gamebreaking D, if Hutson doesn't pan out, but so were FLA, EDM.

Add to that depth like CC, Joshua, Newhook, Hage, Beck, Mailloux and Emgstrom and we're in business.

Of course the team isn't "done" building, we need to develop, learn to compete and add pieces but the foundation is there. It's slightly weaker than the 2012 core but only because we don't have that Hart++ level player, it's also a lot more stable because the talent is spread out a lot more.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Sure. I might be greedy, but that’s only half the production of the league top scorers (although about 15th in centers). I obviously love his game, just middle of the pack right now compared to the elite, and he’s hab best player.

I think you're just underselling Suzuki a bit, he may not have the profile of a 1st line C in the league, but I'd say he's doing very fine so far being one. Also think he's doing very fine as captain, Slaf once said that Nick was always encouraging him, pointing things here and there, and we all saw how Slaf developed as the season progressed. Of course it's on him and the training staff, but Suzuki definitely helped.

Still, that's just my opinion, and I understand your restraint, and I kind of agree with the rest of what you said, we're not there yet, IMO we're not that far, but we're not there, we still have pieces to add.

Let's just say I like where Hughes/Gorton are going thus far, and I'm cautiously optimist, but optimist nonetheless, first time I really am since 2012... I obviously hope things will get better this time.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We are one piece away. I'd prefer that piece to be a high end veteran that can bridge the gap before our young guns fully realize their potential. Make a play for Stamkos.

Slaf - man on man. We are very happy with our Demigod. But Slaf to me is still a unicorn. Sky high potential.

Demidov - elite playmaker and goalscorer. He is more Kucherov and Kaprizov then he is Zegras. This guy looks like he is going to fit right in with the boys.

Suzuki, Caufield - Suzuki is our slightly lesser version of Patrice Bergeron. Unless he steps it up this year. Caufield moves to at best our fourth best forward. That is insane.

Dach - So much unknown here. But zero doubts he is at worst a 2nd line centre. he has size, grit and skill. need to stay healthy. Could be as high as third on our list of talent up front.

Roy, Newhook - advanced relative to our really young guys. lol. still young and developing. one of these guys could easily step up to top 6.

Beck, Kapanen, Hage - nothing certain with these 3....but all have potential. At worst, a third line centre comes out of three. At best one of them elevates to a 2nd line guy.

Draft capital two 1sts next year. This can be used to further stock the cupboard. One more young RD or more forwards. Or....used in a trade for another piece

Our forwards corps if finally stupid deep.

I won't even get into our defencemen.

As I said above....make a pitch to Stamkos for 4 years or something. Or do that for Crosby next summer instead. bridge the development gap.

2024/25

Stamkos - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Caufield
Roy - Dvorak - Armia

Stamkos - Suzuki - Slaf
Demigod - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Beck/Kapanen - Roy

waiting to come up is Hage

f*** me I'm in love with this team

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For the most part, yes.

Slaf,Cc,Nick,Demidov,Dach,Roy is a good top six. Beck and Newhook form the start of a good third line. D looks good and we’ve got two solid goalies.

We’re on our way.

Not going to make the playoffs this year but that’s okay. The future looks great.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Voted yes but another top 10 pick to draft a big #1 C or D man would be great. Look at New Jersey drafting the 6'7" Russian for their last piece of the puzzle.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We are one piece away. I'd prefer that piece to be a high end veteran that can bridge the gap before our young guns fully realize their potential. Make a play for Stamkos.

Slaf - man on man. We are very happy with our Demigod. But Slaf to me is still a unicorn. Sky high potential.

Demidov - elite playmaker and goalscorer. He is more Kucherov and Kaprizov then he is Zegras. This guy looks like he is going to fit right in with the boys.

Suzuki, Caufield - Suzuki is our slightly lesser version of Patrice Bergeron. Unless he steps it up this year. Caufield moves to at best our fourth best forward. That is insane.

Dach - So much unknown here. But zero doubts he is at worst a 2nd line centre. he has size, grit and skill. need to stay healthy. Could be as high as third on our list of talent up front.

Roy, Newhook - advanced relative to our really young guys. lol. still young and developing. one of these guys could easily step up to top 6.

Beck, Kapanen, Hage - nothing certain with these 3....but all have potential. At worst, a third line centre comes out of three. At best one of them elevates to a 2nd line guy.

Draft capital two 1sts next year. This can be used to further stock the cupboard. One more young RD or more forwards. Or....used in a trade for another piece

Our forwards corps if finally stupid deep.

I won't even get into our defencemen.

As I said above....make a pitch to Stamkos for 4 years or something. Or do that for Crosby next summer instead. bridge the development gap.

2024/25

Stamkos - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Caufield
Roy - Dvorak - Armia

Stamkos - Suzuki - Slaf
Demigod - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Beck/Kapanen - Roy

waiting to come up is Hage

f*** me I'm in love with this team
Cc it’s about health. If he can return to form he’ll be one of the best wingers in the league. I really hope that shoulder improves because if it does, we’ll suddenly become a great offensive club. Still think he’s got superstar potential but we have to see on that shoulder.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I voted no only because I think we'll pick in the top 6-10 range next year still
oufff....I hope not, like it'll be disappointing if we picking 8 down.....As long as we have a healthy roster, we should be in the 10-13 range.

With Hutson and Roy arriving on the scene, a healthy Xhekaj, Dach and Newhook, probably adding a top 6 through trade or UFA....I'm expecting and hoping to see this team make some progress as a team and in the standings.

Plus we have the goalie situation figured out now, Mailloux coming at seasons end, same with Demidov as he finishes his season in Russia, maybe Kapanen, good times ahead I predict, no more bottom 5 finishes

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
It is and it isn't. It is relative to drafting players. That's over. Demidov was the last draft piece. That doesn't mean HuGo can't sign a player or trade massive assets for another player. But they have their entire future D core. They have their goalie of the future. And now they have Demidov, Slafkovsky, Suzuki, Dach, Caufield all as legit top 6 players. Newhook is a maybe but he's better on a 3rd line unless they decide to stick him with Suzuki and demidov.

At most, Habs need a 6th forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad