Do you like this team?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I dont mind it. But think we need to upgrade Holl and/or expect Rielly/Brodie to carry and pretty heavy load.

Unless Bogosian can act as a calming pair with Mo.

I dont think Holl should be relied on for any more than 3rd pairing mins. And I like the guy....but we live and die on finding the right mix for our top4.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
We're certainly moving in the right direction. Dubas should try for a balanced skilled/grit forward group. Kerfoot & Engvall are redundant.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
"Do you like this team?"

Not to be championship quality.

But there are some elements improving on the team last season. Brodie's better than either of Barrie and Ceci. Bogosian will bring in Polak-like jam to the 3rd pairing. Simmonds might outperform Clifford. Boyd and Vesey are higher quality bottom 6 support guys than previous years.

I suspect there are still moves that are going to happen. Another quality right side defender would make a huge difference IMO. Maybe something with the goaltending could still happen through trade. And I don't think Dermott is staying.

It was another off season where our GM was forced to deal functional contributing NHL players, this time younger than ever, due to cap pressures. I find it impossible to be psyched that the team lost Kapanen and Johnsson for a bucket of maybes.

It'll all still come down to how competitive will the stars choose to be against defensively stifling opponents. And whether the goalie isn't in decline.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I believe the Leafs will have to trade one of the 4 to get the cap flexibility to make this team better, like getting Schmidt for a 3rd rounder.

Reactions: ToneDog

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
This team looks much more likeable than last year.

With the core being Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, and Rielly I am not sure if tweaking the secondary and tertiary pieces make enough of a difference imo.

Having said that,

Hyman
Spezza
Rielly
Tavares
Simmonds
Brodie
Andersen
Campbell
Dermott
Muzzin
Mikheyev

^^^ all are pretty likeable. Thinking about it, I am not even sure if Nylander erks me anymore. Its basically just Matthews who I think is a complete Douch

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I believe the Leafs will have to trade one of the 4 to get the cap flexibility to make this team better, like getting Schmidt for a 3rd rounder.
Not this season.

Dubas is too smart to make a dumb signing and trade like that.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Right now it's like Xmas with all the new gifts, but let's see how far down the line the euphoria carries over.
Still needs overall balance, with some more sand paper.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Development isn't linear, so it's hard to like a team that disappoints and underperforms. Let's hope for a more honest effort moving forward.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
With the core being Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, and Rielly I am not sure if tweaking the secondary and tertiary pieces make enough of a difference imo.

Having said that,

Hyman
Spezza
Rielly
Tavares
Simmonds
Brodie
Andersen
Campbell
Dermott
Muzzin
Mikheyev

^^^ all are pretty likeable. Thinking about it, I am not even sure if Nylander erks me anymore. Its basically just Matthews who I think is a complete Douch

The guy who took the biggest steps this season personally and professionally after being embarrassed last summer?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
The guy who took the biggest steps this season personally and professionally after being embarrassed last summer?

It is my impression. I am not in the room so I cannot speak to the accuracy. On ice contribution is not the same as likeable. I would love for him to prove my impression wrong given that he is our franchise player. I guess time will tell.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'm a big fan of most of the acquisitions, BUT the Simmonds one. I legit think he's done, but if the organization says they're gonna help him feel healthier than who knows.

As it stands now this is my breakdown of the line-up, but I still expect more movement, Dubas seems like he's up to something because there is a bit of a log jam in the bottom six.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Kerfoot-Simmonds(really stretching here)
Barabanov-Engvall-Spezza
Anderson/Vesey(legit forgot about him)

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Lethonen-Dermot(going off of what Dubas said)
Bogo

OR wildcard

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Lethonen
Dermott-Holl
Bogo

I think Anderson plays though on the forward group because he is that type of jerk player, but we'll see.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I like it a lot more than the lineup that started last year.

Feeling excited for the season

New coach, new players, reshaped defense.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Last year we had Kerfoot, Kappy and Soup that we could move up when one of our top 6 was out. At the moment we have Kerfoot and a bunch of bargain bin pickups.

Robertson will likely be in the lineup, Spezza showed he can play the 3rd line if absolutely necessary, Vesey is gonna be sliding into the bottom 6. Obviously you can't compare any of them to Marner/Nylander, but for a few games i think Robertson/Vesey can contribute playing bigger minutes. Engvall can slide up the line up as well. I like the depth/balance better than i have at any point since we drafted Marner/Matthews.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Not this season.

Dubas is too smart to make a dumb signing and trade like that.
obviously the team we have is what it is at this point. Just saying that at some point we'll have to trade away one of the 4 before we will see this team progress.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
obviously the team we have is what it is at this point. Just saying that at some point we'll have to trade away one of the 4 before we will see this team progress.
Dubas is betting on the core 4 so we will see what happens. Any progress will buy more time but another straight up fail and something will have to be considered.

Half our cap occupies the same space in time. The top 6. They will have to show that as a sum of the parts they can provide the skill with hard to play, 2 way and engaged. Because they might always have to do it with an offensive challenged support staff.
If that’s too much, then yes, something needs to change.

Instead of not much to support 4, one may need to go to improve the support of 3.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Our defense has improved. So that is good.

But it is still behind Tampa's and Boston's assuming Cernak, Sergachev and Chara resign with Rask and Vasi. And Habs top 5 is now better than ours after adding Edmundson and Romanov with Price.

I see us getting 4th spot and wildcard though in tough battle with CBJ's and Canes.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think Anderson plays though on the forward group because he is that type of jerk player, but we'll see.

Yeah I wouldn't be suprised if the Leafs view him as an ideal 4th line guy that can still be developed into a solid 3rd line player in the mold of a Blake Coleman or Barclay Goodrow.

Run with Engvall as the 13th forward. Let Vesey & Mikheyev battle it out for a top 6 role, with the other playing on the 3rd line. Robertson on the 4th line and 2nd PP unit with Spezza and Anderson to get him out there against less skilled opposition.

The Leafs have to get away from holding Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares to a different standard than anyone else -- and IMO; roll 4 lines, especially in the regular season. They have the skill to do it with depth pieces like Mikheyev, Spezza, Robertson, Vesey, Kerfoot -- even Simmonds.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Our defense has improved. So that is good.

But it is still behind Tampa's and Boston's assuming Cernak, Sergachev and Chara resign with Rask and Vasi. And Habs top 5 is now better than ours after adding Edmundson and Romanov with Price.

I see us getting 4th spot and wildcard though in tough battle with CBJ's and Canes.

How many top 4 d-men does Boston have now? 1?

These guys will be fighting for their lives next year if they do nothing.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Possibly. This is most likely their last chance as a complete unit. But Dubas will wait until he gets value that he can't turn down before moving anyone.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How many top 4 d-men does Boston have now? 1?

These guys will be fighting for their lives next year if they do nothing.
Yes agreed they have biggest chance to really drop off to 4th spot. McAvoy Carlo and Chara-aging fast and then nothing. But i think they will add a cheaper puck moving UFA guy still like Vatanen. and Millar will be back in 5th hole next season to play with a kid.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Feels like we are looking at a half-finished painting.

More changes / additions to come yet, I feel. It's not done yet.

If that's the roster we start next season with, then no, I'm not happy - the blueline needs more work, and the bottom 6 is still very much up in the air.

Reactions: CelticDruid

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Taylor Hall wasn't a big name on the market because his offense isn't elite like Patrick Kane which can overcome any defensive short comings. You can add a player like Luc Robitaille, Phil Kessel, John Tavares, but don't expect them to be your core. At best, they're secondary scoring that you hope exploits the other team's lack of defensive depth. It takes Yzerman, Crosby, Matthews to be unstoppable two-way forces.

I honestly don't expect Robertson to be able to outscore his problems. I don't expect him to be up against someone like Brad Marchand and win that exchange in any capacity. He's an exciting player, but excitement doesn't always equate into winning or the Leafs might have a Cup by now. I think the Leafs capability to close out a lead has greatly improved. If the Leafs are up 2-0, think they're in much better position to keep it that way if not make it 3-0 as the opposition has to open up even more to try to tie the game up. Expect to see fans complaining that Jimmy Vesey or Zach Bogosian are ahead of Robertson and Sandin in the depth-chart.

I like this team because they're going to be able to play exciting OR dull hockey when they need to.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

Having said that,

Hyman
Spezza
Rielly
Tavares
Simmonds
Brodie
Andersen
Campbell
Dermott
Muzzin
Mikheyev

Well....i guess...that's an opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad