Do You Consider Ovechkin Generational?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I didn't read this thread. I will admit that. The fact that there is 15 pages means someone didn't just say "yes. /thread" so I have to respond.

OV is 14th in league history in goals scored. He's 240 goals from Gretzky at age 33. He's 151 from Gordie Howe. He's almost certainly going to end his career as the second leading goal scorer of all time. He has an outside shot of passing Gretzky. He's the active goals leader by 99 goals, over a guy who is 6 years his senior. He has 200 more goals than Sidney Crosby.

WTF else does someone need to do to be called a generational player? We're talking about OV here.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Just realized this thread was made over a year ago - he was generational then and he is generational now. I'm a Pens fan, so have watched his career closely - as it's been intertwined with Crosby's from day 1. How some people still try to knock OV down is beyond me.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I mean, he's literally the best goalscorer of his generation. One of the best ever even.

If you don't consider Ovechkin generational im sorry but you've no clue what the word means.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
As always it depends on what your version of generational is. If you mean elite than yes, if you mean is he the level of Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux than it's an easy no.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
the term generational was not used much 10 years ago... its something millennials came up with to 1up their arguments in these boards, therefore its irrelevant it has no trophy bound to it. when people look back at players they see the real accomplishments black on white and not if he was called generational... a lot of posters confuse this, maybe even on purpose, like spreading fake news.

Reactions: ybnvs

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
the term generational was not used much 10 years ago... its something millennials came up with to 1up their arguments in these boards, therefore its irrelevant it has no trophy bound to it. when people look back at players they see the real accomplishments black on white and not if he was called generational... a lot of posters confuse this, maybe even on purpose, like spreading fake news.

Quoted for posterity!

The term was not used at all 10 years ago. Coined by fans with fragile egos, as you put it. The media caught on because hot takes provide clicks and viewers.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
McDavid 2016-
Crosby 2006-2015
Lidstrom 2000-2005
Hasek 1993-1999
Mario 1987-1992
Gretzky 1979-1986
Lafleur 1975-1978
Orr 1969-1974

Crosby and OV were neck in neck since breaking into the league. With the astonishing number of goals OV has put up, widely considered as the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time, and by winning the Stanley Cup & Conn Smythe, the edge has shifted to Ovechkin for having a better career between the two.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd say he is. I don't see how you could be the best goal-scorer of all time (which he is) and not be a "once in a generation"-type talent.

Reactions: pezpunk

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
He’s allowed to be the best in the world at scoring goals and not generational.

That is if you can only consider one guy generational. If you are allowed more, than yes, he’s definitely generational.

But if you can only name one, then Sidney Crosby is simply just a better overall hockey player than him.

Flame away. But I believe more than one can be generational which is why I’d put him with Crosby.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
He’s allowed to be the best in the world at scoring goals and not generational.

That is if you can only consider one guy generational. If you are allowed more, than yes, he’s definitely generational.

But if you can only name one, then Sidney Crosby is simply just a better overall hockey player than him.

In this case, who is the generational? Gretzky or Lemieux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad