Do you consider Auston Matthews a Top-5 Center heading into next year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Auston Matthews, Top-5C?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
There are too many centers who pass better and defend better. When you have fewer assists than Patrick Laine and Max Pcioretty while playing on a top-scoring team, you know it's bad

Reactions: Paul4587

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Voted yes. 3 are above him in McDavid, Mack, and Drai.

Matthews is in the next group with Eichel/Crosby/Bergeron etc. I'd put him at 4 or 5 personally.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There are too many centers who pass better and defend better. When you have fewer assists than Patrick Laine and Max Pcioretty while playing on a top-scoring team, you know it's bad
This past season was the first time Laine had more assists then Matthews. The previous 3 seasons Matthews had more assists then him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No.

MacKinnon
McDavid
Crosby
Draistatl

are all clearly ahead.

Going into next year I still take Bergeron over him. I probably take Eichel, Pettersson, Barkov and O’Reilly over him too.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Easily in the conversation. Dont think he has cemented himself there just yet, but after McDavid and MacKinnon, I think there is about 5-8 Cs that can slot in to those last 3 spots (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Matthews, Eichel, Draisaitl, EP, Bergeron)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
For those who consider Leon Draisatil to be a Center, he lead the Oilers in goals scored the last 2 seasons and this past season he also lead them in total points. So why couldn't Matthews keep playing the way he is scoring goals and etc.

I've been watching Draisaitl since juniors... how he scored 50 goals I don't know the f**k how. He's a center. He's an elite playmaker. His backhand (since junior even) is HHOF worthy. He's basically Getzlaf 2.0 IMO. The only reason Draisaitl has 50 goals is everybody else sucks at scoring except McDavid. He ends up shooting because other players won't shoot or are terrible at it.

Matthews is more of a 60G 40A type of player. Draisaitl should be a 25A 75A type player.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Youre not going to convince me hes better than McDavid, Mackinnon or Crosby, 0 chance. After the year he had, Draisatl is definitely ahead right now as well.

Then you have Malkin who I think takes the 5th spot. Pretty hard to argue him over any of those 5, he could be as high as 6 but theres others who could also be there over him like Eichel and Bergeron.

Reactions: BertMcDrai

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I've been watching Draisaitl since juniors... how he scored 50 goals I don't know the f**k how. He's a center. He's an elite playmaker. His backhand (since junior even) is HHOF worthy. He's basically Getzlaf 2.0 IMO. The only reason Draisaitl has 50 goals is everybody else sucks at scoring except McDavid. He ends up shooting because other players won't shoot or are terrible at it.

Matthews is more of a 60G 40A type of player. Draisaitl should be a 25A 75A type player.
Since Matthews was at 47 goals in 70 games played when the season was suspended, he was going to get at least 50+ goals this season and it sucks that was not able to happen.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Well I got

Malkin/Crosby/Mack/Mcdavid/Draisatl as for sure better than Matthews.

Then you have

Barkov/Eichel/Bergeron/Stamkos/Mika/Tavares/ who could be argued as better.

I'd say 7th best C

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
if not top 5, he's hovering around 5-8 range. Hes as good as they get at goal scoring.

By what metric is Eichel clearly better? I would say most evidence shows Matthews to be the better player. Matthews scores more efficiently, Matthews is the better point producer and goal scorer at 5v5, Matthews is the better possession player by rel and by raw numbers, etc. To state its clear is just ridiculous.
dont even look at faceoffs either

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Drai has had back to back seasons that could end up being better than anything Matthews ever does in his career.

When he has at least one season that matches either of those, maybe he can be discussed at the number 5 spot.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Drai has had back to back seasons that could end up being better than anything Matthews ever does in his career.

When he has at least one season that matches either of those, maybe he can be discussed at the number 5 spot.
To be fair Matthews had a legit chance at winning the Rocket Richard Trophy this season and it sucks he was 1 goal short of winning it based on the circumstances of the global pandemic ending the regular season early. So if he wins it next season that won't come as a surprise to anyone.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
In no particular order

1. Draisaitl
2. Crosby
3. McDavid
4.Mackinnon
5.Malkin

6 Eichel
7.Scheifele

8.Point
9.Bergeron
10.Aho
11. Barkov
12. O'Reilly
13. Petterson

It's hard to rate Matthews, is he a top goal scoring Center, absolutely. But is he a complete Center. For instance Point, Bergeron, Barkov, O'Rielly are elite defensively. Also all the players above are better playmakers, and I am not convinced 2 videos in a career show that he is. I would say he is closer to top 10, top 5? No, not yet.

How can you question if he's a complete center and than list Eichel at 6 and Bergeron all the way down at 9? ROR at 12? My brain hurts looking at this list. Its also quite clear you don't actually watch Matthews.

Bergeron is one of, if not the hardest players to play against in the NHL along with ROR. All you have to do is watch them play

"complete player" - Eichel at 6

im done

Reactions: LeafsNation75

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I value centers not only based on scoring but also how well they play defensively too

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Bergeron
4. Mack
5. Draisaitl/Malkin

I expect Crosby/Bergeron/Malkin positions are gonna open up soon for one of these to slot in the near future

Aho, EP, Matthews, Barkov, Stamkos, Point, ROR, Scheifele

Matthews is good but is not there yet IMO and I am a Leafs fan. Matthews is definitely a top 10-15 center in the league though

EDIT: Slotting Eichel ahead of Matthews? Really? LMAO :laugh:

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
To be fair Matthews had a legit chance at winning the Rocket Richard Trophy this season and it sucks he was 1 goal short of winning it based on the circumstances of the global pandemic ending the regular season early. So if he wins it next season that won't come as a surprise to anyone.

I hear you. I don’t think much of pace, but once we hit 70 games played in a season, I can roll with it. Matthews worst goal scoring stretch of the season was 3 goals in 13 games, so I have no problem thinking he contends for the Rocket the rest of the way and hits 50 at a minimum.

The thing is, Drai is getting those 50 goal seasons or close to it, 105-110 points or more, and likely collecting significant hardware like the Hart and Lindsay as well as already pocketing the Art Ross.

I can’t picture Matthews ever winning an Art Ross to be honest.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I mean, why wouldn't he shoot at this point if he's scoring as much as he is? He's developed a very good shot. Players who can both score and pass at an elite level are always going to be harder to stop than those who only do one or the other.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I hear you. I don’t think much of pace, but once we hit 70 games played in a season, I can roll with it. Matthews worst goal scoring stretch of the season was 3 goals in 13 games, so I have no problem thinking he contends for the Rocket the rest of the way and hits 50 at a minimum.

The thing is, Drai is getting those 50 goal seasons or close to it, 105-110 points or more, and likely collecting significant hardware like the Hart and Lindsay as well as already pocketing the Art Ross.

I can’t picture Matthews ever winning an Art Ross to be honest.
If Matthews ever gets the amount of assists Draisaitl has been getting along with his goal scoring, maybe he could one day contend for the Art Ross. However I think he's more likely to win the Rocket Richard Trophy before that happens.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How can you question if he's a complete center and than list Eichel at 6 and Bergeron all the way down at 9? ROR at 12? My brain hurts looking at this list. Its also quite clear you don't actually watch Matthews.

Bergeron is one of, if not the hardest players to play against in the NHL along with ROR. All you have to do is watch them play

"complete player" - Eichel at 6

im done
Did you see the in no particular order in the post you replied to?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think it’s a clear top 3, then a bunch of guys in the 4-10 range that are all pretty close. Sniper, yes AM is in the top 5, defence, Barkov, Bergeron are up there, playmaking, EP has to be in there. Aho, Crosby, Malkin, Aho, ROR are all up there as well.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I have him 6th.

Mcdavid
Mack
Crosby
Drai
Malkin
Matthews
Eichel

I don't understand the rave for pettersson, I think he's just the shiny toy. He's not on the level of the names listed above. He's closer to 10 then he is to 5. Like I'm not even sure he's ahead of Couturier/Scheifele/Barkov/Point/Bergeron/ROR .
You forgot Matthews, but otherwise I agree. He's in that group where you could pick a ton of different combinations to fill out the ranking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad