• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Nice!

On a serious note, if Pegula doesn't want to relocate, what's the mechanism that allows the NHL to relocate a team? I don't know if one exists.
I think the rest of the owners would have to vote to force a sale, like with the NBA and Donald Sterling

Obviously, that’s not going to happen but they could conceivably offer a financial incentive to sell as they recently did in the desert

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Basically everything has to go right for this team to make it to the playoffs. Not seeing it, but would love to be wrong.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
There are a lot of variables at play, but if the entire team buys into the identity Ruff wants, then they'll have a real shot. I dont think we need Tage and Cozens and Tuch to all be close points wise to what they hit two seasons ago. I want them playing within Ruff's system, and making life easier on the defense.

Teams with less talent than ours have made the playoffs on a strong defensive system + good goaltending. We have a bottom 6 that should be committed to the defensive side of the game. That will do wonders. Now we need the top-6 to buy-in consistently. As Ruff said, players need to play outside their comfort zones. If that happens, we have a good shot at a WC spot.

I like our chances, so I'll say yes. It's likely going to be very close.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
As others have stated, I think they will be more fun to watch, but ultimately I think they fall short. Most teams around us improved and we redecorated. Maybe the redecorating gives our guys some zing, but I bet a solid top 6 W would have given more.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I said no...I don't think we have offensive depth if and when injuries occur
....Also, Cozens and Thompson still have everything to prove for a #1 and #2c....
But the big reason is I just don't see this defense as being a good shut down playoff D....Honestly I like Dahlin but after that you can put question marks on just about everyone...I'm hoping Byram can really up his game and be a top D-man...I don't have faith in Power.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I've got them between 85-95 points. They hit the top of that range, they can snag a wild card. Bottom and they're in the lotto again.

I think the most likely finish is just a few points out.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Nice!

On a serious note, if Pegula doesn't want to relocate, what's the mechanism that allows the NHL to relocate a team? I don't know if one exists.
I don’t believe there is one; after all, every team is sort of a individual contractor and barring sudden death without heir or bankruptcy the league is likely not to have many avenues for this.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
8th seed yes...but if Tage or Dahlin miss significant time, and/or UPL falls off, no

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
200w.gif

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Too many question marks in a tough division.
Unless some luck happens I dont think they are competitive enough.

Or top 2 centers are huge question marks, they just delivered once when they missed they playoffs by 1, but since the league figured them out they werent good enough on both ends of the ice.
(plus they dealt the one guy who could substitute for their shortcomings, Mcload isnt good enough to play 1c/2c, especially given injuries)
They are better at the bottom6 but its not enough.

The D make up is still questionable.

Team is also missing an elite playmaker in their top6.
Quinn needs to stay healthy
Samuelsson& Bryam have to stay healthy.

That being said: 🙏

Last edited:

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Sadly, no.

And it's not so much what the Sabres have done so far this off-season. I really think they'll be a better team.

Will they be better than 8 other Eastern Conference teams though? My head overrules my heart.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Looking at the depth charts of teams in our conference... I really do think that with good coaching we'll be right there. Not a lot of teams that look certainly better than us.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
If there is an overall positive regression from the players that cratered between the two seasons, this team is probably in. Assuming goaltending holds up.

Bet on Detroit and Ottawa missing just like always. Islanders are cooked. Washington is meh, even with their offseason.

Tampa is probably cooked too.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Sadly, no.

And it's not so much what the Sabres have done so far this off-season. I really think they'll be a better team.

Will they be better than 8 other Eastern Conference teams though? My head overrules my heart.
This is closest to where I land it's a coin flip for me. My impression from last season is was the biggest hindrance. We were capable of competing with any team when we felt like it.

For the past several years my biggest complaint was team D, I think they attempted to address that this off-season.

Addressing those three things (mixed in with some bounce back years and further growth from young players) hopefully will make the difference but it won't be easy.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
There has been some divisional improvement which makes it tough.

The 2 biggest things that held us back last year were
  1. bad starts
  2. bad PP
and both of those are hopefully improved with coaching. As it happens, as good as NJ was in 22-23, neither of those were their strengths. While UPL was solid, I noticed he got beaten cleanly on a few of the early-game goals. Maybe another area to clean up.

The bit of anxiety I have with next year's outlook comes from the fact that we did decently at 5v5. For all the talk of our new and improved 4th line, the old one had decent results and skinner did contribute there. My hope is that 5v5 will be an area we go from above average to great, but I really hope we don't take a step back with the amount of turnover, particularly early in the season

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The teams they are competing with got better. The question is were their adds enough to put them into competition for the division? I don't think so. Were their adds enough to be the difference of a wild card? I don't think so.

This season is clearly dependent on if the kids will step up or not.

I want to believe in them but the odds are overwhelmingly stacked against them due to so many variables that need to go right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad