Do the Sens even have an Identity?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, as Eugene's Team
I think this is the real answer, but it also includes his disaster of a GM during that tenure.

They finally have a chance to shake that label this summer and next year.

I don't think it can be overstated just how huge it is for the franchise to shake that nightmare and be viewed positively around the league.

In a bubble, lately, I think they'd be seen as a team that tried to expedite the rebuild 3 years in a row and failed because of poor decision making, but I don't think they've truly shaken the Melnyk salvation army franchise label quite yet.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I think this is the real answer, but it also includes his disaster of a GM during that tenure.

They finally have a chance to shake that label this summer and next year.

I don't think it can be overstated just how huge it is for the franchise to shake that nightmare and be viewed positively around the league.

In a bubble, lately, I think they'd be seen as a team that tried to expedite the rebuild 3 years in a row and failed because of poor decision making, but I don't think they've truly shaken the Melnyk salvation army franchise label quite yet.
People care about results. The Hurricanes are owned by an odd duck, and so are the Canucks. The difference is that those teams are good. Shit, the Oilers' owner isn't exactly squeaky clean.

Other fans and people around the league view the Sens as an underperforming team that finished 5 places worse than the prior year, despite their young core having an extra season under their belts. The change in ownership is meaningless if the measurable results aren't improved upon. Honestly, if the team is going to continue to be godawful, at least under Melnyk was hilarious and entertaining.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
People care about results. The Hurricanes are owned by an odd duck, and so are the Canucks. The difference is that those teams are good. Shit, the Oilers' owner isn't exactly squeaky clean.

Other fans and people around the league view the Sens as an underperforming team that finished 5 places worse than the prior year, despite their young core having an extra season under their belts. The change in ownership is meaningless if the measurable results aren't improved upon. Honestly, if the team is going to continue to be godawful, at least under Melnyk was hilarious and entertaining.
I don't think you can compare those situations to how bad it got under Melnyk. I also don't think you could craft a consistent winning team under his ownership philosophy at that stage anyways, so it kind of applies to both in that you were always going to spin your wheels.

It was entertaining I guess, but it also sucked cheering for a team you didn't really believe in the direction of or the hollow shell of the FYOUS plan. It was time to move on to it being about hockey and becoming a competitive hockey team that operates professionally in all areas.

The franchise was obviously a train wreck from top to bottom and spending the absolute minimum in every corner. That started to change after he passed, but I think a house cleaning and a stamp from the new guys is needed before the page can really be turned. We got the house cleaning but it was mid season and the new regime made basically zero moves of consequence, so last year felt like a EM/PD/DJ year still.

This summer is it. The page turner. The real restart. Imo. I'm excited.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Aren't all identities self declared?

I think you’re partially right because management and coaching has to set the blueprint for identity.

Ultimately whether the players are able to follow through or whether the results flow from that identity depends on a lot of other factors.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not at the moment, but that could change in a hurry under a new coaching staff.

For better or worse (honestly both) this team had an identity under Boucher despite having a ton of roster holes.
Shouldn't the players themselves have an identity that contributes to the teams?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think a more important question is what will our identity be under Staios and whoever is hired as HC and what changes need to happen to achieve it

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hard Working Team - they just need certain players to mature faster, stay relatively healthy & eliminate bonehead decisions & mistakes.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
yea they do..

It even has a name, Kirk Cousins.

Make millions, win nothing.

Once Kirk is released from the Atlanta Falcons, he will be our New President. His first act will be to acquire Mitch Marner for 10 consecutive #1 picks. And give Tavares an FA contract. I figure 7 x 12 is reasonable.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The cynicism is strong, and deserved, but man…. We have some gamer pieces on this roster.

We need a strong direction from top down, and I think we may have that now.

You all know I’ve always tried to be positive and a silver lining type who has defended the team regardless…. But…. Having an actually solid NHL hockey player as the GM, along with a legit experienced NHL team owner as our new direction is something else entirely.

For me it’s reaching for silver linings to genuine excitement for what could be. Even for player acquisitions, both these guys are well respected around the league, which is new.

Staios was a tough defensive defender, which is exactly what this team needs more of on the ice.

Andlauer was part owner of the friggin Montreal Canadians and has been their representative on the board of governors.

Our leadership pinnacle has never looked better for this franchise.

Now we may not win it all, but damn does it ever feel good to be an organization that has hockey guys at the top who other teams and players respect due to their accomplishments.

That’s my ramble leading into the draft lottery and off season proper. Heck, I’m even watching other teams play in the playoffs this year because I feel like we’re actually going to be I the mix next year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With Travis Green named the head coach, odds are the identity they are going to work towards is going to be "hard to play against". I expect we will be pressuring guys all over the ice if what Corrado talked about is accurate,

Hopefully we can succeed in developing that identity, because right now all we have is words, and we need to see action.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hard Working Team - they just need certain players to mature faster, stay relatively healthy & eliminate bonehead decisions & mistakes.
We need to add offensive skill to that in order to out-score our opponents.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
With Travis Green named the head coach, odds are the identity they are going to work towards is going to be "hard to play against". I expect we will be pressuring guys all over the ice if what Corrado talked about is accurate,

Hopefully we can succeed in developing that identity, because right now all we have is words, and we need to see action.
"Hard to play against" requires more definition than "pressuring guys all over the ice".

I see it as including some of the following attributes:
- Fast skating team (on attack with the puck and on defense back-checking)
- Commitment to playing a strong defensive game without the puck (well positioned, blocking shots, covering a man, blocking passing lanes, challenging opposition players at the blue-line)
- Players who body-check consistently
- Big defensemen who can keep opposing players away from the net front and high-scoring positions
- defensemen who can get to puck before opposing forwards and then make smart passes to the forwards to exit the D zone, or skate the puck out of the D zone.
- takes few penalties to avoid the other teams PP.
- etc.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I’ll take it a step further and say they will be known as “hard to win against”

I think Green is a rat, he’s obsessed, he’s intense and he’s got a chip on his shoulder and a desire to win and that is Exactly what this team needs.

Great hire.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

So DJ Smith all over again? Look at the reviews of DJ Smith the first little bit here.

It was all about how he has the sens playing hard and fast competitive hockey. Up the pace. Raw Raw let's go type of hockey. The reviews were that Ottawa is young and not a playoff team, but they're hard to play against.

Sounds just like DJ Smith.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So DJ Smith all over again? Look at the reviews of DJ Smith the first little bit here.

It was all about how he has the sens playing hard and fast competitive hockey. Up the pace. Raw Raw let's go type of hockey. The reviews were that Ottawa is young and not a playoff team, but they're hard to play against.

Sounds just like DJ Smith.
It's clear you re looking for things to complain about at this point if that's takeaway you got from my post.

Florida is the prototype for a hard to play against, aggressive team, they pressure the opposition in all three zones and are physical. In terms of what they are likely going to target as an identity, that's what I would expect.

Now, maybe that's what DJ was going for too and just couldn't get them there, but I wasn't saying we would be Florida under Green, I am saying that's the type of identity they will likely want to achieve. But if you want to find a negative spin on being hard to play against, saying it's DJ all over again is certainly one way to go about it

As for Green vs DJ, one guy wants to be your buddy to have players want to play for him, the other is more known for holding players accountable. Both guys are players coaches but do it in very different ways. Let's hope Green's way is more successful than DJ's,

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Whats the difference between a moquito and the Ottawa Senators?

A mosquito stops sucking.

C’mon dude. You and lots of fans are uncomfortable because the team has made a commitment to be winners and there’s a chance we fall flat on our faces, and that’s scary. But that’s what winning is, accepting the weight of you’re own dreams and not being afraid to fail at them.

Sens fans are comfortable with being bad because there’s no heartache, you won’t be disappointed because you have no expectations.

As a franchise lets Buck-up. The fan reactions around here are weak - feels like Leafs crying TBH

Reactions: Ice-Tray

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We need to add offensive skill to that in order to out-score our opponents.
We have plenty of skill IMO .... two skilled lines & two defensive pairings are all skilled guys , it's reducing the goals against that I think is a priority for them.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux/Greig/Joseph

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Chychrun/Guennette

If they move Chychrun they should replace him with a skilled RD. I also think they will add another skilled player at this yr's draft although when he will be NHL ready is another question depending on who they draft. What they need is a better bottom six & bottom pair who can also contribute more than the past bottom six offensively & be much harder to play against reducing the goals against, but that also includes the top six & top pairings playing better defensively. But what they really need is a legitimate NHL #1 goalie who can keep them in games & not give up so many soft weak goals at the worse of times in games. Too much skill usually means softer players & we know that we need tough players for the playoffs. Ostapchuk & Kleven should help next season, Halliday looks like he could be a player soon for the bottom six as well. And let's not forget that this continues to be a very young team although some of these guys are now entering their prime.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
At this moment I don't think they do.

I think this team needs guys that will inherently play hard without question. Brady is one of them. If we are to play this way, we need more guys who will enforce this style of play. Giroux has been great but we need guys like Ross Colton, Scott Laughton and etc that can play hockey but that don't take a shift off. We need guys on that bottom 6 that can make the top 6 guys worried about their role on the team. We need to reinforce Brady's style of play and tenacity around the lineup. We need guys that will look other players in the face and tell them they are the reason we are losing games.

I see two guys who play with tenacity, speed and truculence on this team. Tkachuk and Joseph, maybe Kelly. We need more of those players whether they are forwards or defensemen.

I strongly believe that having 3 more guys like this on this team would give us a chance to make the playoffs. We badly need players that will open up the play. This team has 0 forechecing ability. We are always behing the play.

I hope Green can instill some sense of urgency on this team. If you have to bench Stutzle so be it. This is the type of coach this team needs. One that will take all possible measures to make sure guys don't feel comfortable. I don't care who you are. If you don't play like it's playoffs every night you're out of the lineup. Period. You don't get to the playoffs by luck. You need to work for it when you are a bottom feeder. Look at Philly. They came close by playing hard. That team had no business being even close to the playoffs.

I'm tired of watching this clown show. It's inconceivable that on many nights the guy who puts the most efforts is in his mid 30's. It's embarrassing to say the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn and DrEasy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I’ll take it a step further and say they will be known as “hard to win against”

I think Green is a rat, he’s obsessed, he’s intense and he’s got a chip on his shoulder and a desire to win and that is Exactly what this team needs.

Great hire.

What’s done is done…. Hopefully he can improve on his .478 Head coaching record…. and more importantly the rookie gm makes to the proper roster changes that enables the new coach to implement his system asap.

However, perhaps SS is also looking for a GM, and plans to drop back to his POHO position?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad