Do the Habs go into the season "Goonless"?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
All 4 were routinely regarded as the worst players on the team and were often healthy scratches. So maybe our press box got softer. On-ice, I don't think we're going to be missing much.

At least we don't have a Kaberle in the press-box anymore. Man, that was a soff press-box we had... :sarcasm:

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Jack Nevins (best LHJMQ fighter):http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=2&ved=0CB4QtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHyng66Wrw-0&ei=K9_GU_KxI8WsyATnroBQ&usg=AFQjCNHVPaUm9O2Lsa2f2TWBq97jtHlw1g&bvm=bv.71126742,d.aWw&cad=rjaHe is 6'2'' and fight against 6'5' and win.....and he had more than 60 points this year....Is he the answer....Time will tell but more than 10 nhl hockey wanted to sign him.He choose the Habs...He fight with his 2 hands ..He is tough...He had 3 fights in AHL (Bulldogs) this year and he won easilly the 3 ...

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
All 4 were routinely regarded as the worst players on the team and were often healthy scratches. So maybe our press box got softer. On-ice, I don't think we're going to be missing much.

I will miss Murray.

All I heard about was how we were losing because of Murray. Even in the playoffs, Murray was killing this team.

And we still did not make it to the SC Finals with Murray press boxed.

He was consistent on the ice for the Habs. It allowed a lot of people to not think about who to scapegoat. The automatic default was "Murray!!!!!!!!!!" Frankie Bou also.

This should be a fun season to determine who will get scapegoat duties.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I will miss Murray.

All I heard about was how we were losing because of Murray. Even in the playoffs, Murray was killing this team.

And we still did not make it to the SC Finals with Murray press boxed.

He was consistent on the ice for the Habs. It allowed a lot of people to not think about who to scapegoat. The automatic default was "Murray!!!!!!!!!!" Frankie Bou also.

This should be a fun season to determine who will get scapegoat duties.

As usual, Desharnais and Therrien :), first out of the box. Then, it might get interesting…..

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Always want a tough guy for this soft bunch... Our top 6 group could be out muscled by most 15 year old girl's teams.

I guess you guys haven't been watching the LA Kings - but size and talent matter.

They have good size and top end talent with good support players, along with lots of team toughness.

We have no size, top end talent with little support, and very little team toughness.

We had Parros and Murray this year, to complement guys like Prust, White, Moen, Tinordi, and Weise... And what happened? We stayed healthier than we've been in years.

The bottom line is that this team is soft and small.... We got rid of some of that, but we also lost a lot of sand paper as well. Our blue line might be the softest in the entire league....

Need to pick up something in my opinion.

68*

Jack Nevins (best LHJMQ fighter):http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=2&ved=0CB4QtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHyng66Wrw-0&ei=K9_GU_KxI8WsyATnroBQ&usg=AFQjCNHVPaUm9O2Lsa2f2TWBq97jtHlw1g&bvm=bv.71126742,d.aWw&cad=rjaHe is 6'2'' and fight against 6'5' and win.....and he had more than 60 points this year....Is he the answer....Time will tell but more than 10 nhl hockey wanted to sign him.He choose the Habs...He fight with his 2 hands ..He is tough...He had 3 fights in AHL (Bulldogs) this year and he won easilly the 3 ...

Tough kid. Reminds me of Chris Nilan the way he fights bigger guys and is not afraid to take damage. A year or two in Hamilton and he will be ready.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Finally someone who is making some sense in this thread of stupidity.

The "we ruined Prust because we made him fight above his weight class!" thing is one of the dumbest myths people on this board cling to.

Especially when two of his three shoulder injuries came from missed checks in the offensive zone. The other, IIRC, was off an icing race.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think they go into the season without, but I wouldn't be opposed to having one as the 13th forward.

I agree that Boston will be a little less threatening than they have been. Thornton is gone. Lucy doesn't fight as much, and won't fight real tough guys. Chara is old, and slowing more and more. When he's gone, they'll be neutered for real.

Still, having a deterrent for the regular season wouldn't bother me in the least. Biznasty hasn't signed. He might fill the bill. He's a heck of a lot younger than Parros. We may have to wait to see how some of the kids look at camp in September though. If mgt doesn't think a guy like Sekac is quite ready to play, maybe he spends part of the year in Hamilton and you use the reserve forward spot for that fighter.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
All we are saying.......is give peace a chance.

Bergevin will sign someone.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
There are 82 games before the playoffs and you sir, need to ''rethink'' about that. You need players answering the bell if you don't want other team to take liberties against the habs.

.../...

When was the last time habs walked into the playoffs THAT healthy ? you go on and try to remember ...

So Parros playing 22 games helped the Habs stay healthy....**** it I say we appoint him Minister of Health and Social Services, god knows we need a good one in the Q.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
No need for goons.
The faster those clowns get out of the game, the better.

Until one of our skilled players takes a pounding, then you'll be crying like the rest of the bleeding hearts out there who can't understand 'toughness', and what it brings to a long gruelling season, road trips etc.

Getting to the post season is a battle, you need toughness , it breeds confidence up and down your bench. Sit them in the playoffs, they did their job getting the team to the destination healthy. If you think this team, or any, will coast into the playoffs without any toughness, you are clearly not watching the same league which slaps you on the wrist for delivering headshots, taking out knees etc.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Until one of our skilled players takes a pounding, then you'll be crying like the rest of the bleeding hearts out there who can't understand 'toughness', and what it brings to a long gruelling season, road trips etc.

Getting to the post season is a battle, you need toughness , it breeds confidence up and down your bench. Sit them in the playoffs, they did their job getting the team to the destination healthy. If you think this team, or any, will coast into the playoffs without any toughness, you are clearly not watching the same league which slaps you on the wrist for delivering headshots, taking out knees etc.

Everyone seems to have forgotten Lucic in the handshake line with Emelin and Weise.

"I am going to ****ing kill you next season."

Granted, no one believes Lucic will commit homicide next season. He will go after Emelin with the intent to injure him. Same for Weise.

But no, the Bruins do not have a goon this season (yet). All is well.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

I'm all for toughness but not interested in a guy that can't contribute in any other way but the goon stuff.

The Parros type is a waste of bench space and contributed next to nothing to a team.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Get a goon for the emotionless, pre-set, goon against goon, right off the face-off, less than a minute long, non-momentum shifting fights.

Or get a tough gritty player that throws them down in the heat of the moment for an emotion filled slug-fest that get's everyone fired up.

Prust is bad for short little emotionless boughts too. Kind of feels more like "wanna go?" "Sure" "K". No real emotion behind it know what I mean.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I don't think anyone would mind a 4th liner that can play hockey and fight. But a pure goon? Pass. Parros was useless, those guys only fight other heavyweights that are doing mostly nothing anyway.

Having a fighter-only on a line makes it completely ineffective at what it should do: bring energy and being at least decent defensively.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I don't think anyone would mind a 4th liner that can play hockey and fight. But a pure goon? Pass. Parros was useless, those guys only fight other heavyweights that are doing mostly nothing anyway.

Having a fighter-only on a line makes it completely ineffective at what it should do: bring energy and being at least decent defensively.

What? I want a 1st or 2nd liner that can do that.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Tough kid. Reminds me of Chris Nilan the way he fights bigger guys and is not afraid to take damage. A year or two in Hamilton and he will be ready.
Was thinking the same regarding Nilan.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Everyone seems to have forgotten Lucic in the handshake line with Emelin and Weise.

"I am going to ****ing kill you next season."

Granted, no one believes Lucic will commit homicide next season. He will go after Emelin with the intent to injure him. Same for Weise.

Because having a goon will prevent that?

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Because having a goon will prevent that?

If he knows that a guy who can fight will come after him after any trouble he makes then yes; it'll make him think twice. Its not like he'll be scared off by a bout with Desharnais and we've seen how yellow he could be when he wouldnt fight Laraque so...

In this day and age a good fighter is there to PROTECT the club's investment in players. And they do appreciate that.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

There's a difference between a goon and toughness. Gorges was tough and could play hockey, he may not have fought, but you'd be hard pressed to find somebody tougher in the league. He will be missed. Emelin, while less effective than Gorges is also tough and can play a decent game. Parros is totally useless and is probably the worst player that has ever donned the CH.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If he knows that a guy who can fight will come after him after any trouble he makes then yes; it'll make him think twice. Its not like he'll be scared off by a bout with Desharnais and we've seen how yellow he could be when he wouldnt fight Laraque so...

In this day and age a good fighter is there to PROTECT the club's investment in players. And they do appreciate that.

You'd think he'd consider more the possible 20 game suspension he'd receive from the League for targeting and injuring a player.

Although Lucic has more than adequately demonstrated he can be thrown off his game by piquing his emotions. All we need is the PP to be better and those aging bears will have to play like koalas and not grizzlies.

NewfoundlandHab

Jul 14, 2014
I'm all for toughness but not interested in a guy that can't contribute in any other way but the goon stuff.

The Parros type is a waste of bench space and contributed next to nothing to a team.

You'd think he'd consider more the possible 20 game suspension he'd receive from the League for targeting and injuring a player.

Although Lucic has more than adequately demonstrated he can be thrown off his game by piquing his emotions. All we need is the PP to be better and those aging bears will have to play like koalas and not grizzlies.

THIS.

Theres a difference between toughness and goons. If we have a good to go out and fight another useless goon, what does that change?

Who's LA's goon? Who's CHI's goon? You dont need these guys to win. If a guy plays 5 mins a game and spends another 5 in the penalty box, how is he helping your team?

Everyone in the hockey world is aware of what Lucic said to Emelin and Weise. If he does anything there will be consequences. Everyone will be watching him in the first Habs-Bruins meeting. Bruins coaching and management have likely already told him NOT to do anything. They can't risk losing such a key player. Charelli and Julien will be all over him if he does anything stupid.

All having a pure "goon" does, is basically bring us down to 11 forwards every game. I'd rather a players who can skate, hit and play the game over someone for pure intimidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad