Do the Habs go into the season "Goonless"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Why not? Big kid, threatening, big reach.

Prefer if Tinner played a more rounded game and didn't not take on goons but if he's okay doing that I guess it's up to him and the team. Don't want the likes of Orr beating him up and possibly setting him back mentally.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
What should he take away from that experiment? It wasn't that bad was it? I'm sure he could've gotten a little better if he could've played more and didn't get derailed by injuries twice, the first of which was a pretty unlucky injury. And it's not like the Habs had a horrible year last season due to carrying a 'goon'

You might have missed the part where anytime we put him on the ice we were effectively playing on the PK. He was atrocious. Designated goons who can't play are going the way of the dodo.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Ottawa : no goon
Boston : Lucic and Chara, but no real goons
Toronto : Orr, he's a liability on the ice, better take advantage of him instead of trying to find a player who can figth him
TB : no goon
Buffalo : Cody McCormick, not really a goon, Tinordi or Prust can take him
Detroit : no goon
Florida : Shawn Thornton, Prust and Tinordi can fight him, he's done
We don't need one this year

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013
ok no goon seems to be the concensus, I however would like to at least another non-goon good fighter a la Prust at least then :nod:

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Presuming everyone who was using the 'everyone else in the division has got/is getting a goon, so we need one too' will be staying consistent and saying everyone else is getting rid of them we should too this off season....

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
We beat Boston, thet best team in the east, in the playoffs, goonless. Enough to have Lucic want to kill people next year.

And they're not pushovers physically.

I think we're good.

NewfoundlandHab

Jul 14, 2014
The NHL is moving away from these types of guys. Guys that do nothing but fight. I'd much rather have guys like Prust, Moen, Tinordi, etc, that can take a regular shift and drop the gloves when needed. Whats the point in having a guy who spends more time in the box than he does on the ice? You're basically limiting yourself to 11 forwards. Every 4th line shift is like a PK.

The best way to neutralize these goons on other teams is to just not fight them. Take advantage of them being a liability on the ice. We need tough players that can skate and hit, not face punchers that cant play the game. I have no interest in a "goon."

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
To paraphrase noted Hockey expert Quentin Tarantino...

"Better to have a goon and not need him, than to need a goon and not have him."

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Watch non-Montreal games, in many markets the fans expect to see fights. That's not going to change this season.

PricePkPatch*

To paraphrase noted Hockey expert Quentin Tarantino...

"Better to have a goon and not need him, than to need a goon and not have him."

I heard the same idiom from Sean Connery, only it was about condoms :naughty:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I really liked the teensy weensy sample size of Parros playing 2 periods against the Leafs in the opener last year. That 4th line looked good for the 2 minutes and change it was out. Seeing him best Orr would have been icing on the cake if he didn't do a face plant.

That said, Weise-Prust-Moen was a fantastic line.

Anyway, it's going to be the same crap as every other year. 50% of you are going to be crying for a goon 1 week into the season, the other 50% are just plain going to cry. Same old, same old. Post all the Bruins lineups you want, they have McQuaid, Lucic, Chara, Miller and they'll probably get some new goof for their 4th line that can fight - and you can be sure they'll pull their usual garbage.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tinordi needs to play at least 50 games with the Habs next season. This D corps is soft as ****.

Beaulieu can play with some physicality. However, both Beaulieu and Tinordi will not likely be in the lineup at the same time.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
This is a very soft team moving into next season, hope he adds some grit/size up the middle. I'm more worried this team can't handle the physical pounding... yet again.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Do available UFA enforcers indicate the beginning of a culture change in the NHL?

AVAILABLE: Krys Barch, Paul Bissonnette, Sheldon Brookbank, Daniel Carcillo, Mark Fraser, Ryan Jones, Zenon Konopka (currently suspended), Ryan Malone (legal issues), Shane O'Brien, George Parros, Aaron Rome, Mike Rupp, Jordin Tootoo, Kevin Westgarth, and Ryan White.

read more : https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...of-a-culture-change-in-the-nhl-021239586.html

:teach:

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
This is a very soft team moving into next season, hope he adds some grit/size up the middle. I'm more worried this team can't handle the physical pounding... yet again.

You said it man! Lets just hope some guys like DD can fight more often and get some respect...

:sarcasm:

Oct 22, 2012
Do available UFA enforcers indicate the beginning of a culture change in the NHL?

AVAILABLE: Krys Barch, Paul Bissonnette, Sheldon Brookbank, Daniel Carcillo, Mark Fraser, Ryan Jones, Zenon Konopka (currently suspended), Ryan Malone (legal issues), Shane O'Brien, George Parros, Aaron Rome, Mike Rupp, Jordin Tootoo, Kevin Westgarth, and Ryan White.

read more : https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...of-a-culture-change-in-the-nhl-021239586.html

:teach:

Themoreyouknow.jpg

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i honestly think Bergevin is waiting to see if kids like Crisp and Nevins are ready for spot duty next year

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Right, right... You mean like the strategy where the bruins out hit and intimidated the habs to the point where... The habs eliminated them?

Or no you must mean the Rangers series when the Rangers destroyed the habs with... Speed?

Hmmm you may want to rethink that one

There are 82 games before the playoffs and you sir, need to ''rethink'' about that. You need players answering the bell if you don't want other team to take liberties against the habs. There will never be a stat on ''how many fights having murray in the lineup prevented'' ... but it did, it doesn't matter what people think... its the truth. I can give an example : when orr tried to take out plek's knee, went after gionta then concussed bourque on the same play. Remember that game. Ask yourself if having murray or parros in the lineup helped this year. Sure parros got clocked ... but he kept orr busy all night.

Now you can go on and say Parros and laraque type of players are useless and I can really see where you are coming from, and given that you have an heavyweight somewhere who can drop them somewhere in the roster, I agree completely. But if you don't ... there is a need to grab one as an insurance policy and rotate him for 12th spot imho.

When was the last time habs walked into the playoffs THAT healthy ? you go on and try to remember ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad