Do Marleau and Brown belong?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We are set up to be a top 6/bottom 6 team by the nature of salary distribution.
The best way to move forward is to solidify the top 4 D with money.
A poor man's Nashville top 4.

LW(Choose your LW)...Matthews...Nylander
Hyman...Tavares...Marner
Rielly...RD
Muzzin...RD
Goalie

There is your money.
Marlies + Ennis deals recycle around. You keep drafting and hope the kids you bring in give you 5 million dollar skill at 700K every once in a while for a few runs.

Cap wise, the sad reality is we are now not competitive against a team like NSH or Tampa or WPG.

That means, we need to win not with the paper roster but with our brains. Tactics set by coaching and riding the tender. It's just the reality of other teams getting better contracts over top 6 or 8 players. You save 1m each and suddenly you can afford a bonus Nylander or extra Muzzin on the roster. That extra makes all the difference or the more popular choice, skilled hard hitting depth forwards that cost a bit more on avg.

Dubas basically said...

80% of the cap into 40% of the team. Fill the rest with small players we can find cheap because they are less desirable by teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotel Mario

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
No, neither Marleau and Brown fit in with the club after this year. And Kadri probably doesn't, either.

The big three didn't take team-friendly deals. They're the one driving the bus. They each wanted to get paid, and soak up all of the cap cash from the depth around them.

It is what it is. The quality of the players around them is going to necessarily decline because of their prioritisation of money their kids will never spend over icing a better hockey team. And that also means there is zero room for other players to be paid for more production than they actually generate -- for whatever reason.

This is a Pittsburgh/Chicago situation, except all of our stars are very young, and our depth is older. We'll make do -- but we'll never have the chance to put up this year's Tampa numbers. (But they won't again, either.)

Marleau is by far the worst contract in this regard, but his NMC probably means a better player will be out first. Brown and Kadri are probably going byebye. This team *can't* afford to lose Gardiner (or get a similar player via UFA, which probably doesn't exist), as we can precisely see how bad this team plays without him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Cap wise, the sad reality is we are now not competitive against a team like NSH or Tampa or WPG.

That means, we need to win not with the paper roster but with our brains. Tactics set by coaching and riding the tender. It's just the reality of other teams getting better contracts over top 6 or 8 players. You save 1m each and suddenly you can afford a bonus Nylander or extra Muzzin on the roster. That extra makes all the difference or the more popular choice, skilled hard hitting depth forwards that cost a bit more on avg.

Dubas said...

80% of the cap into 40% of the team. Fill the rest with small players we can find cheap because they are less desirable by teams.
And we are still waiting to see if that 80% of the cap is the right players.
Because if you can't win in the playoffs...
And we don't know yet.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
If you really respect someone, you'll lie about them
Lol and I can still respect what he’s done in the NHL AND recognize he’s nowhere near the player he used to be. They aren’t mutually exclusive. The Avs are my second team, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they started improving a ton once Iggy’s contract was done. He was constantly getting top 6 time and PP time and plays just died on his stick. And it’s sucks that I have to witness it again with Marleau

Reactions: SAMCRO44

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Dubas said...

Did Dubas actually say this?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Dubas said...

Agreed, and the reality is that Leafs are removing much of their 3rd line just to be able to afford the contracts of AM + JT+ MM + WN.

They're not moving out players like Marleau, Brown, Kadri etc to build up the Dcore, but to remain cap compliant for the most part.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The Leafs have been pushing hard to change the playoff format. As I understand it even Tavares is forcing NHLPA to question the rationale. People are asking Bettman to provide proof that divisional rivalries are working with increased attendance and increased TV ratings. And nothing is coming from Bettman. Likely because there are no numbers to back up anything he is saying. Seems like a little stand off is coming down. It may come to nothing but Leafs position is teams should be seeded based on regular season performance. We will see where the NHLPA comes out. They will likely poll their members.

Tampa is in bad shape on CAP too. This summer they will be forced to jetison 2 players for Point. Next summer 2 more for Vasi. Tampa has a 2 year Cup window.

Boston will be fighting hard against its players this summer to keep everyone under the CAP. 3 RFA's and resigning Chara. I think they can do it but they will have no room next season to fart. Any injuries and they are in trouble.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Agreed, and the reality is that Leafs are removing much of their 3rd line just to be able to afford the contracts of AM + JT+ MM + WN.

They're not moving out players like Marleau, Brown, Kadri etc to build up the Dcore, but to remain cap compliant for the most part.

Precisely. We gotta play smart and work hard now. This championship dream is not even close to a shoe in now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

RFA estimate salaries.
Start cutting...there is only so much Brown you can remove.
Left WingSalaryCenterSalaryRight WingSalary
Johnsson3Matthews11.634Nylander6.9
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner10
Marleau6.25Kadri 4.5Kapanen3
Moore0.7Gauthier0.675Brown2.1
Petan0.775xxKessel1.2
ForwardTotalxxx63.984
Left DefenseSalaryRight DefenseSalaryxx
Rielly5Zaitsev4.5xx
Muzzin4Liljegren1.325xx
Dermott0.863Holl0.675xx
Rosen0.7xxxx
DefenseTotalxxx17.063
GoalSalaryxxxx
Andersen5xxxx
Sparks0.7xxxx
GoalieTotalxxx5.7
TeamCapTotal86.747
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sep 18, 2009
These guys are anchors now. Sad turn of events. I remember the Marleau thread where everyone has dumping on the Leafs. Looks like they were right. Bad contract. Off to the island for him soon. Brown hopefully trade down. And Xaitsev and Gardiner gone will save some sweet cash.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I still think Brown has a role. He does well defensively and still works hard. He's really good on the PK as well. I'm pretty shocked at how badly his offensive game has fallen though because he was always a super talented player with the puck. He seems to be fighting the puck so much this season.

As for Marleau, his decline was expected. Sometimes he'll show flashes but he's been struggling mightly more often than not.

Reactions: ACC1224

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I still think Brown has a role. He does well defensively and still works hard. He's really good on the PK as well. I'm pretty shocked at how badly his offensive game has fallen though because he was always a super talented player with the puck. He seems to be fighting the puck so much this season.

As for Marleau, his decline was expected. Sometimes he'll show flashes but he's been struggling mightly more often than not.

He's a good 3rd liner who is paid a tad too much for what he brings. If the Leafs weren't so up against the cap next year he wouldn't get this much vitriol IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's a good 3rd liner who is paid a tad too much for what he brings. If the Leafs weren't so up against the cap next year he wouldn't get this much vitriol IMO.

For the Leafs he's paid a little too much for his role but plenty of teams would love to have him at his price. I really do believe he'll get back to ~40 points with better minutes. Maybe a fresh start is what he needs, I'm not sure.

But I don't disagree with how badly he's been offensively this year. He's been fighting it quite a bit and it's really unlike him if you look at his career since Junior.

Plenty of players have bad years but bounce back. This is important to understand. Paths aren't linear.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
RFA estimate salaries.
Start cutting...there is only so much Brown you can remove.
Left WingSalaryCenterSalaryRight WingSalary
Johnsson3Matthews11.634Nylander6.9
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner10
Marleau6.25Kadri 4.5Kapanen3
Moore0.7Gauthier0.675Brown2.1
Petan0.775xxKessel1.2
ForwardTotalxxx63.984
Left DefenseSalaryRight DefenseSalaryxx
Rielly5Zaitsev4.5xx
Muzzin4Liljegren1.325xx
Dermott0.863Holl0.675xx
Rosen0.7xxxx
DefenseTotalxxx17.063
GoalSalaryxxxx
Andersen5xxxx
Sparks0.7xxxx
GoalieTotalxxx5.7
TeamCapTotal86.747
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That D is brutal which is why one of Nylander or Kadri will go for a RHD. In addition Brown will be gone, Gardiner will be gone, Ennis will be gone, and one of Kappy or Johnsson will be gone.

This team will take a step back next year unless Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly, and Freddy carry them on their backs.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
For the Leafs he's paid a little too much for his role but plenty of teams would love to have him at his price. I really do believe he'll get back to ~40 points with better minutes. Maybe a fresh start is what he needs, I'm not sure.

But I don't disagree with how badly he's been offensively this year. He's been fighting it quite a bit and it's really unlike him if you look at his career since Junior.

Plenty of players have bad years but bounce back. This is important to understand. Paths aren't linear.

Yup. They're not going to get great value for him this summer and as you said, wouldn't shock me if on a new team he puts up similar numbers (maybe not goal wise though) to his rookie year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Asked Babcock about Connor Brown (6G in 75 games), he said of course Brown would like more goals, but, "he’s an elite penalty killer, elite without the puck, drive-train guy, does it right every day. Hard to complain about Brownie if you’re the coach, he does so many things."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad