Dishing the Dirt

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
An interesting (if brief) comparison of Bowie and McGee from a Montreal paper in March 1905-

Bowie, in fact, in the opinion of many is the most finished hockey player in the business. He knows all the tricks of the game from A to Z, and as a stick-handler he is a phenom.

There has been a constant wrangle among the fans this year as to whether McGee of Ottawa or Bowie is the better man.

As a matter of fact they can scarcely be compared, as their style of play is entirely different.

McGee depends a good deal upon his great speed, Bowie upon his lightning stick-handling and his wonderful ability to be at the right place at the right time

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Exact reference please!

... There has been a constant wrangle among the fans this year as to whether McGee of Ottawa or Bowie is the better man.

As a matter of fact they can scarcely be compared, as their style of play is entirely different.

McGee depends a good deal upon his great speed, Bowie upon his lightning stick-handling and his wonderful ability to be at the right place at the right time...
Specific newspaper on specific date, please.

We need this @rmartin65

Awesome!

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Exact reference please!

Specific newspaper on specific date, please.

We need this @rmartin65

Awesome!

Montral Herald, September 2, 1904. Bowie was 24. McGee was going on 23.
1717723646780.png

From "Killing Frank McGee". Talking about McGee's first year how he didn't have an accurate shot- but that soon changed in a big way. Other details about his style of play (strong forechecker), could "outmanoeuvre" anyone. Elsewhere said he practiced hard. Was brave, played with injuries.
1717724416498.png

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Gawd, McGee seems like Gilmour on steroids.

Though passing/assists were so underdocumented back then, and yet his lame goal scoring average still led hockey in '03, '04, '05, plus huge goals in huge games, multiple Stanley Cups where fingers pointed at HIM as why. He is him.

Certainly bottom-6 ATD intangible material.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Gawd, McGee seems like Gilmour on steroids.

Though passing/assists were so underdocumented back then, and yet his lame goal scoring average still led hockey in '03, '04, '05, plus huge goals in huge games, multiple Stanley Cups where fingers pointed at HIM as why. He is him.

Certainly bottom-6 ATD intangible material.
I have him as avg defensively so not sure Gilmour fits. No source tho.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Montral Herald, September 2, 1904. Bowie was 24. McGee was going on 23.
View attachment 880173
That's really interesting. I knew the Wanderers had made later attempts to secure Bowie's services, but this was new to me.

The 1905 Wanderers played in the FAHL, which was a pretty weak league (really just the Wanderers and Ottawa HC, who both left the next season). I believe Pud Glass was their primary rover that year, but the position was still a bit in flux (especially as of Fall 1904), as Archie Hooper had been severely injured (and would later succumb to those injuries in I believe October 1904) in the previous season.
From "Killing Frank McGee". Talking about McGee's first year how he didn't have an accurate shot- but that soon changed in a big way. Other details about his style of play (strong forechecker), could "outmanoeuvre" anyone. Elsewhere said he practiced hard. Was brave, played with injuries.
View attachment 880175
This is also very cool. I will probably have to get that book. I wonder what the primary sources were for that one.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Taylor was considered by numerous peers to already be the best hockey player in the world in 1909. Pretty impressive considering he was only about 4 years into a professional career.

Ottawa Citizen Dec 17, 1909.

1720670787226.png

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
One of the cooler finds in doing this research on Imlach.

St. Paul Recorder

Minneapolis, Minnesota · Friday, February 17, 1961

Starting his professional hockey career with Quebec City of Quebec League in 1956-57' O'Ree, who hails from Frederick, New Brunswick, Canada, told of early encouragement he got from the Quebec coach, Punch Imlach.

"Punch Imlach was coaching the team at the time and I'll always remember the advice he gave me. Punch told me that no matter what abuses I had to take, to work hard and I'd make the NHL because I had the ability."
-Willie O'Ree

1722482237037.png

Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My take away...

O'Ree recalls his then-juniors coach Punch Imlach's advice:

"No matter what abuses I had to take, to work hard and I'd make the NHL because I had the ability."

Then later Bruins coach Lynn Patrick cited him top 4 in team speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

Ad

Ad

Ad