Blue Jays Discussion: Dioner Navarro: The Anti-JP.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Likely to get stretched out for when Mcgowan's spot in the rotation comes up.

He can't be called up for that game unless an injury happens.

My guess is Hendriks gets the start and if he falters, Stroman gets the next one, or the one after that when he's stretched out.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
They won 4 of the last 6 can't be all that bad :) Two series wins in a row and a huge one against Boston coming up. I agree though, winning baseball is small ball. If you can't do the basic fundamentals of bunting guys over, sacrificing you won't win in this game. Give me a team of small ballers over a bunch of mashers everyday of the week.

Well I wouldn't go that far, but I get your point. Having 6-7 guys who can tie a game up with one swing is pretty unique and valuable.

He can't be called up for that game unless an injury happens.

My guess is Hendriks gets the start and if he falters, Stroman gets the next one, or the one after that when he's stretched out.

Good call, didn't realize that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
They won 4 of the last 6 can't be all that bad :) Two series wins in a row and a huge one against Boston coming up. I agree though, winning baseball is small ball. If you can't do the basic fundamentals of bunting guys over, sacrificing you won't win in this game. Give me a team of small ballers over a bunch of mashers everyday of the week.

Agreed! It's tough to watch this team try to come back late in the game knowing that they rely on the long ball so much ... If they could just rally around singles and doubles more often, shorten up the stroke and go the opposite field when they're down in the count, that would give me a little more faith

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
So I came across an article and some twitter comments about how much Arencibia sucks. I take it the change of scenery hasn't kicked in yet? :laugh:

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
The New York Yankees will be without CC Sabathia until at least July with a knee injury. The starting pitcher received a stem cell injection in his right knee last week which typically takes a month and half to recover

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

AA has a bullpen fetish. He is playing fantasy baseball just making moves for the sake of making moves...you know that guy in your fantasy league who has made 1000 waiver wire moves in the first 2 months.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
He is slugging .233

Not too long ago people said he was our catcher of the future and Romero our ace. I miss Romero though. Had great stuff and really hoped he'd succeed. I keep hoping he'll come back but I doubt he magically finds his game again

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
AA has a bullpen fetish. He is playing fantasy baseball just making moves for the sake of making moves...you know that guy in your fantasy league who has made 1000 waiver wire moves in the first 2 months.

Considering the bullpen isn't necessarily a strength right now, do you propose that he should not try to find extra arms whether it'd be for Buffalo (due to call ups) or up here? Baseball has necessary movement. You'll see teams going through AAAA players all the time in order to try and find bandaid solutions because no team is built to survive an entire season at an elite level with no substitutions. The bullpen is the one place where you live off lower tiered players in small sample sizes due to the short bursts of effectiveness and overall volatility of the players.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Considering the bullpen isn't necessarily a strength right now, do you propose that he should not try to find extra arms whether it'd be for Buffalo (due to call ups) or up here? Baseball has necessary movement. You'll see teams going through AAAA players all the time in order to try and find bandaid solutions because no team is built to survive an entire season at an elite level with no substitutions. The bullpen is the one place where you live off lower tiered players in small sample sizes due to the short bursts of effectiveness and overall volatility of the players.

well said

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Not too long ago people said he was our catcher of the future and Romero our ace. I miss Romero though. Had great stuff and really hoped he'd succeed. I keep hoping he'll come back but I doubt he magically finds his game again

Trip down memory lane..

Not to mention lefty relievers are always in demand. Get one that can be effective at the mlb level, even in a small sample size, and you've got yourself an asset. Either to pawn off, or to use yourself.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Tomorrow should be a barn burner. Doubront vs Happ, you know there will be some runs scored.

maybe, or maybe not... I have no idea what to expect from this team anymore. Not even just that game, or the series... but the whole year. In 3 months they could be in the playoffs or they could blow up the entire team I have no idea. I'm kinda just hanging around.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

Yeah I get that but its just a revolving door of players brought in. Where is the farm system to bring in their own developed players? Teams routinely bring up guys who started in the minors but now move to the pen to get them in the Majors to help the big club. AA instead deals players away to bring in guys.

Now not saying Snider and Thames are great players but 2 guys who shouldn't have been dealt away if the farm system was able to produce some relief pitching. Those players could have been used in other deals for something else if need be.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Yeah I get that but its just a revolving door of players brought in. Where is the farm system to bring in their own developed players? Teams routinely bring up guys who started in the minors but now move to the pen to get them in the Majors to help the big club. AA instead deals players away to bring in guys.

Now not saying Snider and Thames are great players but 2 guys who shouldn't have been dealt away if the farm system was able to produce some relief pitching. Those players could have been used in other deals for something else if need be.

Janssen, Loup, Cecil, Mcgowan are all in house developed players that are in the pen.

Thames hasn't done much and as such doesn't really hold all that much value yet he got us Delabar.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Janssen, Loup, Cecil, Mcgowan are all in house developed players that are in the pen.

Thames hasn't done much and as such doesn't really hold all that much value yet he got us Delabar.

Not but dealing for Frank Fransico cost us Napoli. Aviles and Gomes were dealt for Esmil Rogers.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Clinton Hollon ‏@ClintonHollon 40m
Welppp Tommy John surgery in the near future... Just gada get after this rehab and stay positive #roadtorecovery

That's too bad. Hopefully he comes back just as good because Jays 2013 draft was not a good one to begin with.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Not but dealing for Frank Fransico cost us Napoli. Aviles and Gomes were dealt for Esmil Rogers.

I was talking specifically about Snider and Thames. Both of which haven't amounted to anything. The Jays sold as high as they could. What deal would you have seen them in that could of improved the team further than Delabar?

The jays have used their farm system effectively in terms of supplying the bullpen.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Teams generally don't groom players into relievers. Relievers are usually vets that attempt to revitalize their careers by pitching max effort for an inning or two, or they're ex-starters that have had injury concerns early on in their careers that result in limited stamina (there's also failed positional players). Jays have a few younger(ish) guys in Buffalo like Jenkins, Stilson, Rasmussen, Tepera and Infante, not to mention Drabek that will likely need to be moved into the pen at some point in time. Then you got Ybarra, Sikula and Murphy in the lower levels that have the potential to come out of the pen in the majors.

It's the most volatile aspect of a team so it's really hard to groom an arm for the pen. I mean someone as mediocre as Janssen was at starting has become elite in the pen, and someone with great potential can struggle mightily like Trevor Rosenthal. Remember that David Carpenter guy? Look at what he's done since Atlanta picked him up. Danny Farquhar in Seattle too. Then there's even weirder cases where guys are better suited to start than come out of the bullpen like Samardzija and recently Jesse Chavez (I don't know how that happened).

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009

It's actually for a PTBNL or cash. So he likely just bought the guy. But still, don't see the need there. Buffalo has a deep pen. For the cost though, cant hurt to have another asset, maybe catch lightning in a bottle

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Clinton Hollon ‏@ClintonHollon 40m
Welppp Tommy John surgery in the near future... Just gada get after this rehab and stay positive �� #roadtorecovery

That's too bad. Hopefully he comes back just as good because Jays 2013 draft was not a good one to begin with.

Wasn't that expected when we drafted him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad