Did you have an “I’m getting old” moment?

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm over 50 now, and after 5 years of not playing, I decided to come back. My first night back was open hockey where a semi-pro team made up of 18-21 year olds happened to be there. I felt like a pylon on D with these kids whizzing past me! Early on my goal was to just finish the skate, which I did.

The hardest part for me is that I can still think the game at a high level but my timing and body are a step behind... it's like watching an old kung fu movie where the lips are moving and you hear the words a few seconds later!

I've been back at it now for a couple of months and each skate is getting better but I can still feel the drop-off in timing, speed, and stamina.

One thing I noticed is that paying more attention to nuance and equipment will help. For example, I switched from traditional pants to a lighter girdle and shells, which helped my maneuverability and motion. I also switched from a 1/2 hollow sharpen to a 3/4 and it's been night and day different. The 1/2 was digging in way too much, which was fine when I was younger and much better utilizing my edges. Now, I benefit more from the extra glide and less bite.

I also replaced my helmet and cage with the new Bauer Bucket and Bauer II cage. Both are extra lightweight and it has helped. So, I think as we get older, we need to utilize some tricks and better gear to help boost our comfort level on the ice.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I don't know if this counts as getting old moment but this season I keep getting lingering hip discomfort while walking, none while skating. I am also battling neck and shoulder tightness. Assuming this is from hamstrings but no clue where this came from.

I'm still fit and extremely active. Just cannot pinpoint the source of this pain/discomfort

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Last year I made a routine save and my back seized up. I had to ref the game after and that was by far the worst game I've ever officiated. I couldn't physically get around. Thankfully I haven't had a recurrence of the back thing, but I couldn't even sleep without pain for like a week when it happened. I definitely remember thinking that my time in net might be dwindling.

That and we had a new crop of young Canadian kids join the league. I think I have equipment older than some of them.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
The best way I can describe myself, is I feel like a tree with most of the leaves turned orange - I can see the day they are all falling soon. My career is past the hump of life and while I would love to play another 30 years I'll settle for 15 and see what happens.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad