Did you have an “I’m getting old” moment?

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm over 50 now, and after 5 years of not playing, I decided to come back. My first night back was open hockey where a semi-pro team made up of 18-21 year olds happened to be there. I felt like a pylon on D with these kids whizzing past me! Early on my goal was to just finish the skate, which I did.

The hardest part for me is that I can still think the game at a high level but my timing and body are a step behind... it's like watching an old kung fu movie where the lips are moving and you hear the words a few seconds later!

I've been back at it now for a couple of months and each skate is getting better but I can still feel the drop-off in timing, speed, and stamina.

One thing I noticed is that paying more attention to nuance and equipment will help. For example, I switched from traditional pants to a lighter girdle and shells, which helped my maneuverability and motion. I also switched from a 1/2 hollow sharpen to a 3/4 and it's been night and day different. The 1/2 was digging in way too much, which was fine when I was younger and much better utilizing my edges. Now, I benefit more from the extra glide and less bite.

I also replaced my helmet and cage with the new Bauer Bucket and Bauer II cage. Both are extra lightweight and it has helped. So, I think as we get older, we need to utilize some tricks and better gear to help boost our comfort level on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad