Did the Oilers make the right draft picks in the last 5 years?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Perron-Seguin-Nichuskin
Landeskog-Galchenyuk-Eberle

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov

Nurse

I'm not sure.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
2010. Yes Marincin looks like the real thing. First time in years that a non-first round draftee is able to play a significant role at the NHL level. I wouldn't count Pitlick out yet. He's at the point in development where he should be ready to be given a chance at the NHL level, if only he can avoid the injury bug.

2011. Klefbom looks less like a question mark. He played fairly well in the last big of 2013/14 season. Gernat and Dillon Simpson seems to be progressing well. Not yet ready for NHL but they will need at least another season of the AHL, if not two more.

2012 - Of course there's more questions than answers, its too early to tell. Next year will be Moroz and Khaira's first year in professional hockey. So its really too early.

2013 - Chase took a big step forward and it will be Yakimov's first profressional year in North America next year. Way too early to tell, but shows promise.

Until Simpson plays a pro game we know nothing about how his play will translate to pro hockey--Both Simpson and Garnet will need 2 to 3 seasons in the farm before they are ready

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Seguin/Landeskog/Murray are more complete players than Hall/RNH/Yakupov.

So what? That doesn't mean they're better than the Oilers players. You draft for the long-term, not for who can make an immediate impact.

RNH and Yakupov were well-known projects at the draft. Hall was NHL ready and he's better than Seguin.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
What injury are you talking about? I'm referring to the shoulder injury he suffered in junior that bothered him for his first two seasons.

Uh. I'm not the one claiming his size was to blame, so I'm afraid the burden of proof is on you here.
OK, go to youtube and type in RNH faceplant. Done.

Regardless, lots of players suffer shoulder injuries and not all of them are twigs. As I said, Hall had tha same injury and has missed almost as many games to injury in the past two seasons as RNH. Clearly, he must be a weakling as well.

What are you even talking about? He missed two games this season, both right at the start.

What are you even talking about? His shoulder was surgically repaired, a common procedure that often leave sthe shoulder in better shape than it was before. Again: the same surgery Hall had prior to last year's campaign.

Loses an entire off season of training to surgery, comes back and still puts up 56 points in 80 games. Yup, must be a real dud.:shakehead
Say what you want but he still isn't out of the woods yet.

You try to act like an intelligent guy but you refuse to believe that his small frame and significant injury history are any concern at all. Must be nice to have the naivete of a grade school kid.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
First round picks - absolutely.

Pick 31 and on is where it's a travesty. And picking 1st-7th isn't exactly a scouts merit.

2010 - 2nd round Tyler Pitlick over Justin Faulk
2011 - 2nd round David Musil over Boone Jenner (which many many of us saw coming), Brandon Saad...
2012 - 2nd round Mitch Moroz over basically anyone. He's an Edmonton Oil King though!!

Moroz is a beauty in my opinion. A guy that will take time but i love that pick personally. Watching this series against Portland he is responsible and tenacious every shift. If he keeps that drive he will be a very good third liner for us:handclap:

Not everyone plays in the NHL at 19 or 20. We have been spoiled with high first rounders that have been forced to play at 19. Its like if a guy doesn't score 40 he's a bust around here. A second rounder should play top 9 minutes and i think he will, just not tomorrow

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Outsider here.

Hall is a franchise player, absolutely the right pick.
Personally I think Landeskog is slightly better than RNH, but considering the lack of C depth in the organization it was a fine pick.
In hindsight it's quite easy to say pick Murray and Nichushkin over Yakupov and Nurse, but IMO Yakupov was easily the BPA in 12.

As much as I like Draisaitl, I think you should pick Bennett this year, he's the perfect centre to compliment RNH.

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
Outsider here.

Hall is a franchise player, absolutely the right pick.
Personally I think Landeskog is slightly better than RNH, but considering the lack of C depth in the organization it was a fine pick.
In hindsight it's quite easy to say pick Murray and Nichushkin over Yakupov and Nurse, but IMO Yakupov was easily the BPA in 12.

As much as I like Draisaitl, I think you should pick Bennett this year, he's the perfect centre to compliment RNH.

Agreed, I'd be most pleased with the Oilers drafting Bennett, although I don't think you can go wrong with picking Ekblad or Reinhart.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
OK, go to youtube and type in RNH faceplant. Done.

No results. How lazy are you that you can't provide a link?

Say what you want but he still isn't out of the woods yet.

Is that your opinion as a medical doctor who has examined him or just taht of a guy on the Internet? In other words: what are your credentials?

You try to act like an intelligent guy but you refuse to believe that his small frame and significant injury history are any concern at all. Must be nice to have the naivete of a grade school kid.

And your reading comprehension skills would shame a kindergartner. The claim to which I was responding was that his small frame was to blame for his injury, even though no evidence has been provided to support that.

Now if you want to make general comments about "concerns" I would say that's valid, but more from a "can he compete with guys like Joe Thornton" standpoint and not "he's skinny so he'll get hurt" angle since I've seen no evidence slightly built players are any more likely to get hurt than anyone else. In short, yeah, I'm no more concerned for him based on his injury history than I am about Hall based on his equally injury-plagued track record and hell-for-leather playing style.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
No results. How lazy are you that you can't provide a link?
You seriously had to look? Everyone else here knows exactly what I'm talking about. Next question.

Is that your opinion as a medical doctor who has examined him or just taht of a guy on the Internet? In other words: what are your credentials?
You have to be a doctor to diagnose rare medical conditions or prescribe medicine, not to have an opinion on whether or not a 170 lb guy with shoulder problems can hack it in the nhl.

And your reading comprehension skills would shame a kindergartner. The claim to which I was responding was that his small frame was to blame for his injury, even though no evidence has been provided to support that.

Now if you want to make general comments about "concerns" I would say that's valid, but more from a "can he compete with guys like Joe Thornton" standpoint and not "he's skinny so he'll get hurt" angle since I've seen no evidence slightly built players are any more likely to get hurt than anyone else. In short, yeah, I'm no more concerned for him based on his injury history than I am about Hall based on his equally injury-plagued track record and hell-for-leather playing style.
Do I have to explain the physics of 210 lb body crashes into 170 lb body, or bangs surgically repaired shoulder with only 3 ounces of muscle on it into the boards?

How many players of RNH's stature had a long, healthy nhl career? Gretzky and Gilmour, that's about it. P Kane has a good chance but I don't recall any of those three guys having this level of medical history either.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
You seriously had to look? Everyone else here knows exactly what I'm talking about. Next question.

Lol. Keep dodging.

You have to be a doctor to diagnose rare medical conditions or prescribe medicine, not to have an opinion on whether or not a 170 lb guy with shoulder problems can hack it in the nhl.

You can have an opinion, sure. How valid that opinion is is another issue, especially when it comes to making predictions about his future health, as you have done.

Do I have to explain the physics of 210 lb body crashes into 170 lb body, or bangs surgically repaired shoulder with only 3 ounces of muscle on it into the boards?

Sure. Go ahead. I'm all ears. Illuminate me with your extensive knowledge of medicine and physics.

How many players of RNH's stature had a long, healthy nhl career? Gretzky and Gilmour, that's about it. P Kane has a good chance but I don't recall any of those three guys having this level of medical history either

Off the top of my head: Stevie Y, Derek Roy, Ray Whitney, Briant Gionta, Scott Gomez, Danny Briere, Pavel Datsyuk, Steve Sullivan, Doug Weight, Ales Hemsky... geez, the list goes on and on and those are just some of the bigger names. So yeah, 6', 175 lbs is probably on the undersized side, but there's no reason to think it's a crippling impediment.

Beatle17

Jan 14, 2009
Lol. Keep dodging.

Off the top of my head: Stevie Y, Derek Roy, Ray Whitney, Briant Gionta, Scott Gomez, Danny Briere, Pavel Datsyuk, Steve Sullivan, Doug Weight, Ales Hemsky... geez, the list goes on and on and those are just some of the bigger names. So yeah, 6', 175 lbs is probably on the undersized side, but there's no reason to think it's a crippling impediment.

Interesting discussion and the only issue I have is when people doing comparisons use guys like these to compare players of today. When most of these guys played they weren't undersized compared to the competition. In today's game most, I would venture a guess, of these guys would not have had the stats they ended up with.

And Ales Hemsky please, the guy was hurt pretty well every year he played.

Last edited:

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Lol. Keep dodging.
No reason to dodge, you know what I'm talking about and you are playing stupid.

You can have an opinion, sure. How valid that opinion is is another issue, especially when it comes to making predictions about his future health, as you have done.

Sure. Go ahead. I'm all ears. Illuminate me with your extensive knowledge of medicine and physics.
Once again, your counter is "I don't know what you are talking about".

Don't worry, I believe you.

Even Hemsky is bigger than RNH and still fragile, that list is garbage. Danny Briere and Doug Weight are terrible comps, they are stocky by comparison.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
No reason to dodge, you know what I'm talking about and you are playing stupid.

Nope. Only video of RNH getting hurt I've found is a knee on knee hit by Clifford. The fact you can't provide a link or even describe what the injury was and when it took place is pretty telling though. Not surprising, though.

Once again, your counter is "I don't know what you are talking about".

Don't worry, I believe you.

Look, you asked if you needed to "explain the physics of 210 lb body crashes into 170 lb body, or bangs surgically repaired shoulder with only 3 ounces of muscle on it into the boards?" I'm simply asking you to do so. Now, I don't think you can, which is fine, since it's clear you have no particular expertise or knowledge. But you shouldn't really pretend that you know what you're talking about when you so obviously do not.

Even Hemsky is bigger than RNH and still fragile, that list is garbage. Danny Briere and Doug Weight are terrible comps, they are stocky by comparison.

LOL. So in your world, a player who is 5'9" and 175 lbs is less likely to be injured than a 6', 175lb player. Why's that? Lower centre of gravity? Tell me more, Doctor! :laugh:

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
I think the Oilers did well as far as drafting BPA, but the whole philosophy of drafting BPA over team need requires a willingness to trade that BPA to address team needs.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
I think the Oilers did well as far as drafting BPA, but the whole philosophy of drafting BPA over team need requires a willingness to trade that BPA to address team needs.

This is where our hands are tied though. If we trade any of the kids, we end up with a glaring need where they used to be.

Trade Yak or Ebs for defence.......now you have a hole on the RW that won't be filled anytime soon.

Trade Gagner for whatever........unless you replace him with another C, you'll have Boyd Gordon or Anton Lander as the #2 C.

We're in a terrible position unless we sign free agents or have a prospect step up. It's great that we're getting a C (I believe FLA will pick Ekblad at the draft) this summer because it gives us some flexibility.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Lol. Keep dodging.

In regard to the phsyics part... Newtons third law states equal and opposite forces so technically the 175 lb player exerts the same amount of force on the 210lb player as the 210lb player exerts on him

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think the Oilers have done well in the draft.

Think of the pit they had to climb out of. Look at the team five years ago. How many guys aren't even in the NHL anymore? How many of their best prospects, five years ago, play in the NHL?

RNH and Yakupov are two guys...who...if you saw them play among their peers you would look at them and want them on your team to give you the best chance to win.

Obviously work needs to be done to develop the players and the coaching to get this team to put together a winning season and management needs to bring in guys who can help carry the load.

Rayden

May 8, 2013
I was disapointed when i heard the Oilers had won the 2012 lottery. You can use a 2nd overall on a Dman with questionable offence, or on a center who played 2 games in his draft year, but that's a huge risk when you pass over the guy who has been consensus for 2 years with the first pick. I don't blame the scouts one bit for that one.

And to all the Landeskog fans, it must be nice to be a winger on a team with great forward depth. Talk about being put in a position to succeed, as compared to a center paying 20 minutes a game on an awful team.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

thank you. what I've been saying for forever.

This is where our hands are tied though. If we trade any of the kids, we end up with a glaring need where they used to be.

Trade Yak or Ebs for defence.......now you have a hole on the RW that won't be filled anytime soon.

Trade Gagner for whatever........unless you replace him with another C, you'll have Boyd Gordon or Anton Lander as the #2 C.

We're in a terrible position unless we sign free agents or have a prospect step up. It's great that we're getting a C (I believe FLA will pick Ekblad at the draft) this summer because it gives us some flexibility.

RW is far easier to fill than D. bottom line is they have been stockpiling prospects for far too long and neglecting the actually building part for just as long. Now, with their players approaching their mid twenties the lightbulb goes on in KLowe's head: "duuuh, hey, maybe it's time to actually fill the lineup, eeyuk, eeyuk, eeyuk'

you can pick BPA even if he isn't what you need if you want, by at some point you've got to build the team, and that point actually passed two years ago. they are playing catch up, and they look like the biggest idiots in the business (just ask Hextall). Looks good 'em.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Nope. Only video of RNH getting hurt I've found is a knee on knee hit by Clifford. The fact you can't provide a link or even describe what the injury was and when it took place is pretty telling though. Not surprising, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adq5KYBEokA

So you've honestly never seen this? How long have you been an Oiler fan?

Look, you asked if you needed to "explain the physics of 210 lb body crashes into 170 lb body, or bangs surgically repaired shoulder with only 3 ounces of muscle on it into the boards?" I'm simply asking you to do so. Now, I don't think you can, which is fine, since it's clear you have no particular expertise or knowledge. But you shouldn't really pretend that you know what you're talking about when you so obviously do not.
Either you're playing stupid again, or there's no real reason for me to explain this to you.

Short version - shoulder heavily muscled with thick connective tissue takes a lot of force to dislocate. Weaker shoulder, like that of an infant or a small girl, takes a small amount of force to become dislocated.

See the incredible collision with the boards that caused his injury? Would that have hurt my 95 yr old grandma?

LOL. So in your world, a player who is 5'9" and 175 lbs is less likely to be injured than a 6', 175lb player. Why's that? Lower centre of gravity? Tell me more, Doctor! :laugh:
I didn't say they were shorter and stockier, I just said stocky.

For your edification:

stock·y
ˈstäkē/Submit
adjective
(of a person) broad and sturdily built.

If you didn't know what it meant you could have just googled it. You need to make less sarcastic comments and do less laughing moose, and do a lot more learning.

A wise old Owl sat on an oak,
the more he saw the less he spoke,
the less he spoke the more he heard,
why aren't you like that wise old bird?

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Parise is over 190 lbs...

Now, but not at RNH's age.

Sure, add st louis to the list. Does it make a difference if there are 3, or 4?

No, not really. I was just playing the trivia game...those guys came to mind immediately. I'm sure there are others - Giroux, Fleury - but of course that doesn't mean that you aren't right about RNH.

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Until Simpson plays a pro game we know nothing about how his play will translate to pro hockey--Both Simpson and Garnet will need 2 to 3 seasons in the farm before they are ready

I like the way Simpson takes control on the ice. That said, he was pushed around quite a bit this year in big games. His biggest concern is his strength. It's as simple as that with him. He's a good prospect. I'm not holding my breath though for anything more than a bottom pairing guy in two plus years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad