Did Lombardi do enough for this team at the trade deadline?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I don't think we can hang this one on Lambardi. A couple of heartbreaking losses on the road deosn't mean this team isn't still capable of going deep this year.

I'd say let's take a look at this question after the season is over.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I think we needed another piece to our defense. He should have assumed Greene wasn't coming back like he did with Mitchell. Also a player like Iginla would have been a nice pick up, not for his skill, just as a respected locker room player that the team has extra motivation to win again for.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
In the end, the lock out really screwed over the Kings for the following reasons:

1) Greene's injury--and whatever is up with Martinez--would not be for the full season and maybe Mitchell's doesn't even happen.

2) Result of the lock out with the CAP going down limited what Lombardi could do at the deadline as it relates to next season.

I would have made a run at Bouwmeester and let Scuderi walk in the off-season but I'm still not quite sure what that would mean for the CAP next season.

I'm not upset with Lombardi one bit. The only thing I would criticize is the Drewiske trade because, while Drewiske isn't great, it would be nice to have another healthy option on the blueline.

I'm not overly optimistic since I'm a Kings fan and one magical run does not make me completely forget what "Kings fan" used to mean, but this series isn't over. If Quick doesn't give away Game 1 and they score on that 4 minute PP, this thread doesn't exist.

Just hold down the fort these next two games and put it all out on the line for Game 5.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
No it looks like he didn't do enough to answer the question. If it had been a full 82 game season this year I think he probably would have made some different moves. This damn half season has screwed us...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The Kings biggest need at the deadline was a left shooting goal scoring LW. The problem is, there really were none available. They could have also looked at a C but its hard to blame DL, no way he could imagine his two current centers would perform so poorly. I like what RR has brought to the team. Especially if Scuds and Mitchell are done as Kings.

DL will need to address the need for a top 6 LW and a #2 defenseman (if WM is done). I don't anticipate any drastic trades but if the Kings limp out of this round in 4 or 5 perhaps DL shakes things up a little, wouldn't be unheard of in sports.

Sydor25

LA Kings
I thought DL should have brought in Bouwmeester before the deadline, but what's done is done and I didn't complain about it when he didn't.

I'm curious how you would have acquired Bouwmeester without a first round pick in 2013 and how would you fit him in with the cap for next season?

No 1st round pick in 2013 limited Dean's ability with trades this season. I don't think anyone would want that pick back instead of Carter, so I think it was spent wisely.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Should've signed Doan :sarcasm: But srsly.. We could've used his tenacity, guy had a 10 shot 10 hit game at the age of 36.

Jaybo would be tremendous, but that move would put us straight to cap hell unless Calgary had eaten some salary.

Don't forget that Doan's a media darling too, so he could throw the controversial checks and not get crap for it like Brown does. :)

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Im glad he didn't do more. We overpaid for RR44 as it is, anymore overspending would have been brutal

KingKopitar11*

Just out of curiosity. What's the absolute soonest Forbort would be ready or close to join our line up?

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Just out of curiosity. What's the absolute soonest Forbort would be ready or close to join our line up?
Not next season but the following one I'd say.

As far as Lombardi not doing enough, yeah I think he should've landed us a LW but the problem is there weren't any available for a good price.

I would've moved a few guys in packages for upgrades but that's just me.

I sincerely hope that at the draft DL is a busy man. I'd move King, Bernier, let Penner, Scuds and Richardson walk and maybe try and bring Moller and Holloway back as cheap winger options.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If the Kings are eliminated from the playoffs, no, he didn't do enough.

That's not to say he did a bad job, but for playoff teams and cup champs, the goal is to win the cup. If they don't win it, he didn't do enough to reach his goal.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Or STL is just playing us very well by neutralizing our top 6. Bringing back the same roster as last season was seen as a blessing, but familiarity works both ways. Now, opponents had a whole season to adjust and it shows.

But what really disturbs me is still that 1st period of game 1. Seems like STL is still riding that momentum till now, and the Kings are still trying to shake off the shock. That was pure dominance

Yet for all that dominance, they were only able to score 1 goal in regulation.A better team should've put up a few more goals. Carter was a 1/2 inch from tying the game up in the first when his shot hit the post. Once the game got to OT, it was like watching a different Kings team. They had a 4 min pp and a ton of momentum, but got an unlucky result.

Keeping the same roster really has nothing to do with the result . This isnt like baseball where teams know when a pitcher gets behind in the count, he throws a fastball. Our guys just are scoring, especially Kopitar.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Lombardi didn't have too many options at the deadline. The only problem the Kings have had the 1st two games of this series is that the offensive catalysts for this team have not put up any offense, and those two are Kopitar and Carter. They need those guys going. Without those two rolling, the Kings are one and done. It's that simple. With that, I expect a offensive breakout Saturday.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Sometimes I don't know what's actually worse ...

LOSING THE GAMES ...

or the OVER-reaction of SOME of the FANBASE around these parts. :shakehead

Seriously WHAT were you going to Give-Up to get MORE ?
Give up on Toffoli already ? yeah NO !
Give up yet another 1st rounder in 2014, 2015 ? yeah NO !
Give up Scrap's ? Yeah NO ... because that's getting you NOTHING BACK !

GEEBUZ :facepalm:

Sydor25 said it very well ... Dean made his move last season and the Kings won the Cup !!! WE DIDN'T HAVE THE ASSESTs this year, without giving up on the future to make a bigger splash than what we did, however Dean actually got us some good pieces going forward. Regehr and Ellerby and the extra draft picks were pretty good pick ups not only for the HERE AND NOW, but also GOING FORWARD.

And as KINGS17 points out ... Ellerby IS progressing a little every game, despite being COOL to use him as our WHIPPING BOY EXCUSE, Dean has plans for the Kid long term, and I think it was a wise low risk, high reward type of deal that will pay off and give us more flexibility in other areas going forward.

LOOK ...
Pittsburgh couldn't repeat, but have retooled and look to be making a serious run again.
Chicago couldn't repeat, but retooled and look to be making a serious run again.
Boston couldn't repeat, but retooled and look to be making a serious run again.
I expect US to be the same ...

We may not get as far THIS season as we hoped, who knows if it had been a normal season without the Lock-out what would have happened ? But it's NOT over just yet, we MAY get past St. Louis still, and then what ? But if we don't we retool a bit, and make a good run again next year, we see what these guys CAN DO when they put the effort and emotion in it to win, THEY DO. Have a little more faith, we will win another cup or 2 before this train ends and we got to blow it up and rebuild again, that is IF we go that path, IF Deans still in charge we may take the Red Wings path and be around in the Playoffs and win a few cups over the next 22 years ! ;)

LAX attack*

Not to knock D. King, but when you see him on the 2nd line, it's a pretty clear demonstration that the team is missing a top-6 winger.

bobafettish*

he was fine this trade deadline not, he didnt have the assets to do anything significant. still mind boggling that he let hickey go. hickey would be a lot better option then ellerby.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
King sucks, wouldn't mind him gone at some point soon, along with Penner. I'd like to see Scuds back at a cheaper price. Its pretty clear the workload he had to bear has fatigued him to the point where he's not what he used to be. Out of all the teams, it looks like the Islanders would make the best trade partners. I'd love to raid some of their deep prospect pool...

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
he was fine this trade deadline not, he didnt have the assets to do anything significant. still mind boggling that he let hickey go. hickey would be a lot better option then ellerby.

Didn't have much of a choice, and still... Hickey was a rookie with ZERO nhl games and quite small by NHL standards. Ellerby had 130 games under his belt when acquired, and I really don't see him being anymore effective, if not being more of a liability.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
King sucks, wouldn't mind him gone at some point soon, along with Penner. I'd like to see Scuds back at a cheaper price. Its pretty clear the workload he had to bear has fatigued him to the point where he's not what he used to be. Out of all the teams, it looks like the Islanders would make the best trade partners. I'd love to raid some of their deep prospect pool...

King is the least of the Kings problems right now. Look to Kopitar and Carter. Those are the guys that should be scoring and leading this team.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
King is the least of the Kings problems right now. Look to Kopitar and Carter. Those are the guys that should be scoring and leading this team.

No argument here. Kopitar has been infuriating for awhile now. I compared him to Martin Hanzal awhile back and got blasted, but right now he even looks worse than Hanzal. Simply no drive or physicality, sans that big hit he made in game 1. And he's not even the type to play a physical game when not scoring, which everyone should start doing to at least gain some momentum. All of our top players need to be way better or we're done...

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
DL did fine with what was available and what we were willing to give up. You have to take into consideration most cup champs don't make it past the first round the following year. Hard for players to get the intensity back when they aren't even a calendar year removed from winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad