Rumor: Dhaliwal- Lots of Teams calling the Canucks on Nils Hoglander

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I think this says less about Höglander as an individual player and more about Vancouver’s mindset.

It would seem that the only players not for sale in Vancouver are Hughes, Demko, and Pettersson.

Offers for anyone else will be listened too.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If they deal Nils, there better be a comparable dman coming back.

And f*** no to trading him if it means attaching a Dick or Poolman just to create cap.

It’s OEL or he stays.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Trading Hoglander would be epically stupid. Could definitely see it happening.

This new big brain regime headed up by Jim Rutherford seems to think they have an all encompassing grasp on every player in the Canucks entire system after 2 months. Sure Hoglander hasn’t been great this season, but who cares. His potential is huge and he will at worst become an awesome 3rd line winger. More likely he’ll be a 50+ point top 6 winger who brings tons of skill and grit. Also, it turns out him and Petey are very close. So again I think trading him unless you’re getting a stupid overpayment is the wrong move.

Reactions: bh53

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
While I'm certainly not disputing the Hoglander can still improve and develop, realistically what do people think his ceiling is?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
This has to be Canuck reporters just tossing out ideas until they can get their hands on a legitimate source within the new managemnt setup.
Why trade Hoglander? Doesn’t make sense to me

Reactions: Bubbles and LTIR

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The rumor is other teams have been calling us about hoglander. There’s zero fact to us shopping him. Can’t imagine we’d even entertain a deal unless we were getting a D back, cost controlled salary. Nils has been a main stay on a line with Pettersson.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This makes no sense for Canucks.

Is the new GM setting a minimum player height requirement?

Garland, Halak, Hog, what's next? Hughes?

Reactions: bh53

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The rumor is other teams have been calling us about hoglander. There’s zero fact to us shopping him. Can’t imagine we’d even entertain a deal unless we were getting a D back, cost controlled salary. Nils has been a main stay on a line with Pettersson.
How does that happen though.. why aren't GMs inquiring about Hughes and Demko? Theres gotta be something from VAN side for talks to really take place.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
How does that happen though.. why aren't GMs inquiring about Hughes and Demko? Theres gotta be something from VAN side for talks to really take place.
It’s like asking why are teams not calling about McDavid…

but in all seriousness, maybe teams see that Hoglander’s ice time has gone down under boudreau so feel they have a shot to pry him away. I don’t know. But sounds like he’s good buddies with petey so can’t imagine he gets moved barring some crazy offer.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It’s like asking why are teams not calling about McDavid…

but in all seriousness, maybe teams see that Hoglander’s ice time has gone down under boudreau so feel they have a shot to pry him away. I don’t know. But sounds like he’s good buddies with petey so can’t imagine he gets moved barring some crazy offer.
Exactly. Talks of teams calling about McDavid, Demko etc aren't heard by anyone because they either never happen or get shut down right away.
Maybe something around Chychrun and Hoglander ..

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
While I'm certainly not disputing the Hoglander can still improve and develop, realistically what do people think his ceiling is?
This is an interesting question even for myself who has watched him since he was drafted back in Sweden and every game as a Canuck.

I always try to envision comps and best and worst case scenarios and it's still a fairly wide open book that crosses between 2/3 line 35-50 pt player and a top6 staple but not front line player that produces 45-65pts.

To get to the upper levels he will like almost every 21 yr old need to get consistent (which isn't saying much and should be easy for such a dedicated athlete) Need to be better at transitioning pucks through the defensive and neutral zones (again should come with experience) and most importantly show a better finishing rate and have more poise.

The last part is tough to say but his hands are extremely quick and he does things at alarmingly quick speeds he just may or may not slow the game down enough and develop the swagger that comes with being a prolific scorer.

In saying all that above i like to think his ceiling is a Mats Zuccarello type player maybe not as good a passer but i wouldn't put it past him. If you've watched him at the World Juniors or last year at times when he was confident he could be absolutely dynamic and make passes out of nowhere. Its when he has time he needs to be a better finisher. As far as low end he's already a pretty good comp with Viktor Arvidsson.

The notion that Boudreau doesn't like him is ridiculous. He's trying to teach him that before his offensive game he needs to make smart transitions and decisions with the puck and get more engaged defensively. defenseman know more of what to expect this year and are backing off and containing if they cant get the knock on him quick and he lost his confidence for awhile and has needed to build up from the 4th line.

he's currently on a scoring kid line with Podkolzin and Pettersson and would be an absolutely idiotic player to trade without a wicked and painful offer coming the other way. Were hearing his name because of course teams are gonna ask for him when he might be had for less than top6 value while they are checking in on Canuck players for this deadline.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Don't really want to trade him, but if they can offload capspace in a deal, then sure.
This is the opposite of logical.
I can't imagine them trading an ELC given their cap situation.
Correct.
I just created a thread trade proposal for Hague. Same draft.
No thanks, and they're not from the same draft (not sure why this even matters..), Hoglander is 2 years younger
Senators could offer up Jacob Bernard Docker.

Similar age RHD that is about to break though but is seen as expendable by some Sens fans?
Not terrible but Ottawa would have to add
I had a thought of Brannstrom/JBD + Zaitsev + TB 2nd for Hollander + Myers. Probably doesnt make sense but fun to think about.
No thanks.
Teams can be calling but it doesn't mean JR wants to move him. Can't imagine why he would unless the package is significant.

Or am I off base here Canucks fans? Seems like he's part of the future.
No, you basically hit the nail on the head.
Rangers in a Kravtsov deal please
Kravtsov+Schneider maybe
Trading Hoglander would be epically stupid. Could definitely see it happening.

This new big brain regime headed up by Jim Rutherford seems to think they have an all encompassing grasp on every player in the Canucks entire system after 2 months. Sure Hoglander hasn’t been great this season, but who cares. His potential is huge and he will at worst become an awesome 3rd line winger. More likely he’ll be a 50+ point top 6 winger who brings tons of skill and grit. Also, it turns out him and Petey are very close. So again I think trading him unless you’re getting a stupid overpayment is the wrong move.
This is based off absolutely nothing.
How about a Nils swap? Hoglander for Lundkvist
Comedy.
Braanstrom
Hilarious.
JT Miller @50%
Hoglander

for

Liljegren
Amirov
Engvall
2022 1st
2023 3rd
Probably the worst offer in the thread by far. Take out Hoglander and the retention on Miller. And you're still not even close.

Reactions: SEALBound

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
This is the opposite of logical.

Correct.

No thanks, and they're not from the same draft (not sure why this even matters..), Hoglander is 2 years younger

Not terrible but Ottawa would have to add

No thanks.

No, you basically hit the nail on the head.

Kravtsov+Schneider maybe

This is based off absolutely nothing.

Comedy.

Hilarious.

Probably the worst offer in the thread by far. Take out Hoglander and the retention on Miller. And you're still not even close.
I don’t know what else it would take with Bernard Docker, shouldn’t be a massive add, maybe Ottawa sends Vancouver back their 3rd or maybe Tampa’s 2nd?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This is an interesting question even for myself who has watched him since he was drafted back in Sweden and every game as a Canuck.

I always try to envision comps and best and worst case scenarios and it's still a fairly wide open book that crosses between 2/3 line 35-50 pt player and a top6 staple but not front line player that produces 45-65pts.

To get to the upper levels he will like almost every 21 yr old need to get consistent (which isn't saying much and should be easy for such a dedicated athlete) Need to be better at transitioning pucks through the defensive and neutral zones (again should come with experience) and most importantly show a better finishing rate and have more poise.

The last part is tough to say but his hands are extremely quick and he does things at alarmingly quick speeds he just may or may not slow the game down enough and develop the swagger that comes with being a prolific scorer.

In saying all that above i like to think his ceiling is a Mats Zuccarello type player maybe not as good a passer but i wouldn't put it past him. If you've watched him at the World Juniors or last year at times when he was confident he could be absolutely dynamic and make passes out of nowhere. Its when he has time he needs to be a better finisher. As far as low end he's already a pretty good comp with Viktor Arvidsson.

The notion that Boudreau doesn't like him is ridiculous. He's trying to teach him that before his offensive game he needs to make smart transitions and decisions with the puck and get more engaged defensively. defenseman know more of what to expect this year and are backing off and containing if they cant get the knock on him quick and he lost his confidence for awhile and has needed to build up from the 4th line for awhile.

he's currently on a scoring kid line with Podkolzin and Pettersson and would be an absolutely idiotic player to trade without a wicked and painful offer coming the other way. Were hearing his name because of course teams are gonna ask for him when he might be had for less than top6 value while they are checking in on Canuck players for this deadline.
I feel like his upside is being the guy who can carry the puck through the neutral zone and inside the attacking zone as well, and also win board battles on as part of a strong 5v5 line.

His lack of finishing ability limits his upside but I’d pair him with a couple of guys who can finish and at least one other guy who can drive play through the neutral zone and then sit back and enjoy them go to work.

I’d expect him to become a solid 5v5 2nd line caliber player

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Hoping for swiss army knife 2nd liner. I don't know if his brain will ever catch up enough to his hands/feet for him to become a 1st liner.

Would be disappointing if he was just a 3rd liner.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm not sure how trading away Hoglander to offload a bad contract is illogical. I wouldn't think twice if you could package OEL and Hoglander for a young defenseman.
Because Hoglander himself is on an ELC and is cost controlled. He saves us money by being underpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad