Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G, Northeastern University (obtained in Reinhart deal) - Signed 3/17/23, Assigned 4/3/24

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
It will be interesting how they approach his development. If he performs well the rest of this season and is the best goalie in training camp next year can they really put him in the AHL? What message does that send to the rest of the team about icing the best roster and trying to win?

A good solution to this conundrum would be to bring in a legit NHL starter in the off-season, so Levi isn’t the obvious best goalie in the org. Then they can send him down, and bring him up when he is 100% ready.
Sounds good, but is there even a legit starter available?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It will be interesting how they approach his development. If he performs well the rest of this season and is the best goalie in training camp next year can they really put him in the AHL? What message does that send to the rest of the team about icing the best roster and trying to win?

I mean....the same thing they have been saying. The team left 18M in cap space on the table and told everyone to 'trust the process' and we are likely going to miss the playoffs by a couple of points. If the team has bought in that not utilizing resources to improve the team is part of the process, getting them to buy that a goalie needs a developmental year should be easy.

A good solution to this conundrum would be to bring in a legit NHL starter in the off-season, so Levi isn’t the obvious best goalie in the org. Then they can send him down, and bring him up when he is 100% ready.

That is the obvious solution here. Will they do it? That is going to be the question of the off season.

MGIII

Legendary
Jun 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If Levi is clearly the best goalie on the roster, play him. Not ifs or buts. If he's in contention for best goalie and clearly the second best goalie on the team, roster him. This team is no longer about potential, time to produce wins and playoff runs. Play your best players.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
If Levi is clearly the best goalie on the roster, play him. Not ifs or buts. If he's in contention for best goalie and clearly the second best goalie on the team, roster him. This team is no longer about potential, time to produce wins and playoff runs. Play your best players.
The issue is conventional wisdom is against him. The safe thing to do is to protect him the last few games here, and send him to Rochester next year. No one will doubt that strategy.

The concern is playing him short term this year as a starter and whether that would do any damage to his development, the team confience in him, or their playoff chances. If you believe it will, then you don't play him. If you believe it wont, then you play him in that starter role.

The x factor to all of this is what is motivating the Sabres if they play him this year like a number 1 and who's best interested they have in mind.

Granato and Adams are in a tough spot, but also, this is a 'good problems to have' discussion. Big picture, this team is on the precipice to big things.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

If Varlamov or Andersen would take a 1 or 2 year deal.....they might be the perfect non-trade bridge to Levi.

I'd love for us to bring in a legit starter via UFA or trade so there's zero temptation to have Levi anointed our starter next year. Let him develop in Rochester for a year or two. Let's not rush the best goalie prospect we've had since Miller..............

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
There are some interesting FAs. We could also target some players in a trade.

For example, maybe we ship out UPL and sign Varlamov. He could split with Comrie. Levi gets the starter net in Rochester. My #1 target would be Swayman through offersheet or trade. Bruins might not be on board with letting a team in the division get him though.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
We all should absolutely pump the breaks.

Plenty of goalies have had outstanding rookie seasons and dropped off the face of the earth. Whether it's the pro lifestyle, the long season, or simply the fact that shooters get the book on goalies after a season or so and adjust.

I like Levi, I think he has a strong future. But....

#1. He should get a full AHL year.
#2. Absolutely nothing is guaranteed at this point.

Eichel was the answer...until he wasn't. Risto/Zadorov were going to be our elite shutdown d-men...until they weren't. Myers was going to awkwardly skate us to a cup. Hell, I have a 40th anniversary Cody Hodgson jersey in a closet somewhere.

At this point, we should have some sort of miracles requirement before anointing anyone a Sabres Savior. We've seen far too many false prophets.
So much this. One good game doesn't make (or break) a career. The amount of savior anointing about Levi is so very strange. We should hope he has a long, successful career, and putting undue pressure on him after one pro game isn't the best way to build a foundation. Take a look at Hart, Knight, and a few others. Too much early pressure can lead to careers going out of control way too early.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
If Varlamov or Andersen would take a 1 or 2 year deal.....they might be the perfect non-trade bridge to Levi.

I'd love for us to bring in a legit starter via UFA or trade so there's zero temptation to have Levi anointed our starter next year. Let him develop in Rochester for a year or two. Let's not rush the best goalie prospect we've had since Miller..............

You're not getting a Varlamov level goalie to sign for a year and you must know that
I agree with you in general but Levi wins in Florida tomorrow, it's too late. He will indeed be anointed.

Reactions: start winnin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
You're not getting a Varlamov level goalie to sign for a year and you must know that
I agree with you in general but Levi wins in Florida tomorrow, it's too late. He will indeed be anointed.

He'll be anointed by the fanbase......not necessarily the staff, I hope.

As far as Varlamov or Andersen -- all depends on how long they want to continue their careers. Varly is 35. Freddie is 33. They may not WANT to sign long-term deals at their ages. And it doesn't have to be one year....I did say "one or two".

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Isn't Varlamov 35 in a few weeks? No one is giving him more than a 2 year contract. That being said I don't see us needing someone like that. I think its UPL and Comrie next year with Levi having the ability to play himself into the lineup and skipping the AHL all together if he shows he can stick.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Isn't Varlamov 35 in a few weeks? No one is giving him more than a 2 year contract. That being said I don't see us needing someone like that. I think its UPL and Comrie next year with Levi having the ability to play himself into the lineup and skipping the AHL all together if he shows he can stick.
You're ok with UPL and Comrie again?

Yikes

Reactions: thomas vanek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad