Confirmed with Link: Devils Trade Henrique, Blandisi, 3rd Round Pick to Anaheim for Sami Vatanen/Conditional 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
A little confused by some of those saying its a bad deal. Devils needed a defenseman badly. Devils traded away a player where we could afford to to obtain said defenseman. Emotional ties to Henrique aside, this was a great trade by both teams.

Can someone explain to me how this is bad?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
First reaction is bad trade for us.
Gave up two skilled forwards for a 2nd pairing defenseman.

One forward who's proven to score in the playoffs and another who's young and very talented.

A) You want a D upgrade you gotta overpay
B) I don't even really think it's that much of an overpay. Henrique was a limited, streaky player and Blandisi has had chances to make an impression and hasn't.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Ehh, not the biggest fan, but that's what it takes to get solid defensemen these days. For better or for worse, we probably just acquired our best defenseman.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Not sure how to feel. I like Vatanen and I like Rico. I think it's a fair trade all things considered (i don't think Blandisi was going to get a chance here) and we do need help on defense. But the left side still looks bad.

Lets see how Vatanen does though! Going to miss ya Rico, thanks for everything

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
A little confused by some of those saying its a bad deal. Devils needed a defenseman badly. Devils traded away a player where we could afford to to obtain said defenseman. Emotional ties to Henrique aside, this was a great trade by both teams.

Can someone explain to me how this is bad?
it's not. rico's contract is done after next season, and vatanen's isn't until the following year. rico was expendable on our team, and D like vatanen are hard to find and sign

heart hurts though. i just took a picture with rico on monday

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Told you Adam Henriques shtick got old, people got on me for calling that out. We need players who compete every day. Not someone who disappears for 10-15 games but 'it is ok' because he will hit his career averages. We have the offensive depth where we can move on from players like that. I am actually more bummed about losing Blandisi, BUT this a much needed pickup. Vatanen makes our D much better.

Thanks to Henrique for the lifelong memories and being a great teammate, person and for doing good work outside the team in New Jersey.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Losing Henrique hurts but you have to give to get. Blandisi wasn’t in our future.

We get a young Dman that will be a big part of the rebuild.

Henrique will always be a Devil he had some great moments as a Devil.

Reactions: glenwo2 and Dialamo

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
based on the trade announcement on the ducks twitter, fans aren't happy with the trade, which means we "won" perhaps?

it should be eye opening to fans that this isn't unbalanced at all. some people are screaming bloody murder though

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Told you Adam Henriques shtick got old, people got on me for calling that out. We need players who compete every day. Not someone who disappears for 10-15 games but 'it is ok' because he will hit his career averages. We have the offensive depth where we can move on from players like that. I am actually more bummed about losing Blandisi, BUT this a much needed pickup. Vatanen makes our D much better.
But he was playing at his career averages!

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Visiting Duck fan that wanted to give you some info on Vatanen:

Was beastly two years ago under Bruce. Completely ignore the other teams fans on the trade board who described Vatanen as simply an offensive defenseman. That's far from the truth. Vatanen was actually one of our better penalty killers. He's no defensive juggernaut, but he's solid. Had a really poor year last year. There were reports that he didn't train much, if at all, before last season started. He picked it up during the playoffs though. He's kind of struggled this year too. Not bad or anything, just not where we thought he'd be.

Obviously we made the move because of our injury situation, but I don't like it. I would rather have weathered the storm and traded Vatanen for a bigger return in the offseason.

Montour's emergence made him expendable though.

A few questions I saw when glancing at the thread:
Is he recovered from shoulder surgery? Yes
Can he play the left side? Yes, but he's not as effective there. Has done it quite a bit this year though.

Can you fill me in on the players coming our way though.

let me know if you have any questions about him. Take care of Vats. You'll love his personality.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
based on the trade announcement on the ducks twitter, fans aren't happy with the trade, which means we "won" perhaps?

it should be eye opening to fans that this isn't unbalanced at all. some people are screaming bloody murder though

Vatanen is a fan favorite in Anaheim. I think the hesitance by both fanbases kind of illustrate that it's a pretty fair deal.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Gonna miss Rico. But I suppose with him getting pushed to the 4th line some games this isn't surprising.

I also am a bit concerned that this makes our defense somewhat... unbalanaced?

LHD: Greene, Moore, Butcher, Mueller
RHD: Severson, Vatanen, Santini, Lovejoy, Prout

Is it just me or is that a lot of offensive guys with questionable defense?
There's nothing to question about Vatanen's defensive ability. He is solid.

Reactions: Dialamo

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
The need to upgrade on defense aside, can't help but wonder how and if this impacts the locker room. Henrique was one of the more significant pieces we've had in the locker room in quite a bit of time and that isn't just some small trait to brush off.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I finally have a legit critique of Shero now. Stop trading away picks for garbage dmen like Prout and Mueller. Those guys are dead in the water after this trade...

Minor blip on an otherwise stellar performance as GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad