Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

devilsfan950003

Jul 3, 2023
Nemec needs to either be sent down or played nightly; this is not good for his development.*

A week isnt the end of the world but we are as healthy as we likely will be all season. If he hasn't gone down yet, when will he?

A 20 year old should be playing
*see Alexander Holtz

Reactions: Deviled

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Because of the schedule, this team with a new coach, system, and a bunch of new players (And a shortened preseason to boot) hasn't been able to practice much at all.

Despite that, we're beating bad teams and staying competitive-ish with good teams. (Goaltending aside?) We've got the talent, just need the structure.

I'm bullish once they get some more practices in.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Because of the schedule, this team with a new coach, system, and a bunch of new players (And a shortened preseason to boot) hasn't been able to practice much at all.

Despite that, we're beating bad teams and staying competitive-ish with good teams. (Goaltending aside?) We've got the talent, just need the structure.

I'm bullish once they get some more practices in.

I'd argue we have not been very competitive with good teams. But the schedule has been coocoo bananas and sometimes I forget that when assessing this team.

I think the Lazar loss is going to sting more than we are anticipating though.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
“Don’t we any better pics of Nico?”
“Nope, there aren’t any”
IMG_4484.jpeg

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I think consistency has been the main issue. There’s really only a handful of players right now playing consistely playing to their capabilities

Nico,timo,Siegs,cotter and noesen have probably been the most consistent so far

Jack and Bratt can’t get to another level they aren’t playing up to their abilities at the moment. Dougie as well and Mercer

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'd argue we have not been very competitive with good teams. But the schedule has been coocoo bananas and sometimes I forget that when assessing this team.

I think the Lazar loss is going to sting more than we are anticipating though.
We also haven’t played a good team with probably our best defensive pairing clicking at all. Luke and Pesce at the top of their game transforms the team. Jack being right does too.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We also haven’t played a good team with probably our best defensive pairing clicking at all. Luke and Pesce at the top of their game transforms the team. Jack being right does too.

Fair, but how much of that pair looking dynamic and Jack being "right" is attributed to the last few games being against mediocre (Isles) or straight up bad (Ducks, Wings) teams? I just don't think we know yet.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So now you're blaming Markstrom giving up a floater on the second or whatever shot of the game tonight on the fact he gave up a bunch of goals in his last two games - a few of them also on him? Then he's too mentally fragile to ever do the job. You always make the Devil defense sound like it's the worst in the league year after year by a mile to where it's such a unique challenge for any goalie in the league and it's just not the case.

Yes the Devils have generally had below average or worse defenses in the last several years (but not always). Plenty of other goalies in the league get that and make more saves than our guys do, and plenty of goalies get better defenses and don't make the saves. Goalies aren't an entirely dependent position the way you've made it sound from the minute Cory Schnieder stopped playing in the pipes, he's the only guy you ever held accountable for anything and everything in goal, since then it's all the D's/coaching fault. Neither is true, but when you only see our breakdowns on a nightly basis you lack context that other teams allow similar or worse breakdowns on a nightly basis as well, in games we aren't watching.

Also historically, when Markstrom struggles, he really really struggles.

I don’t care about Calgary even a little and it was noticeable:

IMG_9903.jpeg
IMG_9904.jpeg
IMG_9902.jpeg

He carried Calgary at times but also single handedly killed them other times.

Hopefully God Mode Markstrom is in our future lol.

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
i feel as though Bowers will get the call up for this western canada trip. would love to see them go outside the Org for someone though.

not sure who’s available this early in the year

Reactions: devilsfan950003

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
For the most recent, it sounds like Keefe had specific things he felt he finally got to address in practice after not having many practices. They may have felt it was important to have him there for those moments.

Also, Luke and Pesce just came back from injuries so there is always the chance they wake up on game day and feel too sore to play that night. It wouldn’t surprise me if he travels for the same reason.

I don’t think they will have him not playing long term and I don’t think he’s hit unreasonably not playing yet.
Really good reasons I hadn't thought about. Thanks for pointing those out

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's been a long time since I've compared numbers, so maybe I'm wrong. I think I compared them about 6 or 8 months ago, when it became apparent we were getting Markstrom one way or another. Be it at the trade deadline last year or the offseason.

From what I remember, his underlying numbers in 22-23 weren't quite as bad as his overall numbers that year. They weren't good, but I don't think he broke far below even. Perhaps pointing to the idea that the team didn't play for Sutter anymore and couldn't stand him, and that made things much more difficult for Markstrom.

And his 21-22 season also wasn't quite as good as his overall numbers that year. Conversely, the team was completely buying in for Sutter and firmly backing him and playing a very strong and tight overall game.

And if I'm remembering this right, last year may have been his true career year. I can't remember if I ran those numbers once the season had ended or not, but either by the end of the season or towards the end of the season that's how it looked.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Apologies for the degenerate fantasy question but do you guys think Dougie's spot on the top PP is safe or does Luke have a chance to replace him?

I have both on my team right now and probably need to drop one lol.
No indication that Luke will take Dougie’s spot. I think it’s safe to say it will be dougies spot for the majority of the year

Reactions: kanucks25

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
i feel as though Bowers will get the call up for this western canada trip. would love to see them go outside the Org for someone though.

not sure who’s available this early in the year
You know, I heard theres a pretty good fourth line center who was recently released from the KHL...

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Not that it really matters, but so far for the Comets:

Willman - 6 games, 1G, 1A, -11!
Bowers - 6 games, 0G, 2A, -4
Dowling - 6 games, 2G 2A, -6
Schmelzer - 6 games, 0G 0A, -7
Beckman - 1 game, 1G 1A, +1
Hardman - 4 games, 1G 0A, -4
Stillman - 5 games, 0G 1A, -4
Halonen - 6 games, 2G 0A, -4
Foote - 5 games, 2G 4A, -2

How's that waiver wire looking?
Bring up Beckman

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Also historically, when Markstrom struggles, he really really struggles.

I don’t care about Calgary even a little and it was noticeable:

View attachment 922889
View attachment 922890
View attachment 922888

He carried Calgary at times but also single handedly killed them other times.

Hopefully God Mode Markstrom is in our future lol.

Yep, well said, he's a head case in net for lack of a better term. This is where Marty stepping in and talking to Markstrom on the side about his mental game would do wonders. Marty used to give up some bad goals and then make an amazing 3-4 saves. That's basically goaltending, you just can't let it spiral and in Markstrom's case, he has a bad history of doing that. I almost thought last night would go off the rails after that McGinn goal but the Devils picked him up back and he rewarded with them with a few saves here and there to win that game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad