Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I think it depends on your fantasy scoring. I had both in a league that rewards goals 2x to assists so I had to drop Luke. If it's a keeper League, keep Luke. I don't know if they'd ever go so far as to replace Dougie on PP1 bc of his shot, but Keefe is a wildcard too. Did he give players a long leash in Toronto, bc Luke is going to need a long leash with his turnovers.

Thanks.

Not a keeper league and goals are slightly worth more so Dougie is likely the answer.

In Toronto they never had an actual PP D-man (lol) and they almost never took their big forwards off the top unit for any significant period AFAIK.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
It’s been three games. He’ll most likely go on the road trip and be sent down then is my guess. If he doesn’t play at any level for longer I’ll be pretty upset.
Could be the case; just wondering why theyd wait any games at all, if he can be sent up and down freely?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Could be the case; just wondering why theyd wait any games at all, if he can be sent up and down freely?
For the most recent, it sounds like Keefe had specific things he felt he finally got to address in practice after not having many practices. They may have felt it was important to have him there for those moments.

Also, Luke and Pesce just came back from injuries so there is always the chance they wake up on game day and feel too sore to play that night. It wouldn’t surprise me if he travels for the same reason.

I don’t think they will have him not playing long term and I don’t think he’s hit unreasonably not playing yet.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It's interesting to watch how Keefe has the same idea as he had with the leafs to over load the top line every once in a while to shake things up. I always assumed it was down a couple desperation move, but he seems to do it more randomly than that, don't hate it.
In games where there aren’t a lot of PPs or PKs I think it makes a lot of sense, since those guys aren’t racking up extra minutes on special teams those games.

For the Devils especially, getting Nico an offensive zone draw while also getting Hughes and Bratt on the ice gives that shift an extra shot at instant impact.

Also, at home you get the added advantage of doing it already knowing the opponents line.

As long as they can manage ice time while doing it, I think it’s good.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's interesting to watch how Keefe has the same idea as he had with the leafs to over load the top line every once in a while to shake things up. I always assumed it was down a couple desperation move, but he seems to do it more randomly than that, don't hate it.

He clearly sees the value in Nico's faceoff prowess with how he has deployed him for key draws throughout a game. Depending on the situations, if you can get him out to win the draw and maintain possession in the zone for Jack and Bratt to do their thing, I definitely see the logic in it.

I can't recall a coach in my lifetime who will tinker lines in this manner throughout a game based on different situations. Could just be something I never truly focused on when I was younger, but it's kind of refreshing.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I can't recall a coach in my lifetime who will tinker lines in this manner throughout a game based on different situations. Could just be something I never truly focused on when I was younger, but it's kind of refreshing.
One off the top of my head is the Penguins with Malkin and Crosby. They’d usually be on different lines but would end up taking shifts together sometimes if the situation called for it.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I do wonder how the Devils are going to handle Lazar’s absence.

The center depth in this organization is not particularly pretty after the NHL team. Schmelzer, Bowers, and Dowling have seemed painfully mediocre in their limited NHL minutes or preseason. I guess they could give you 7-8 minutes a night, but can’t really expect much except to hope they don’t hurt you.

Wonder if the Devils try moving Cotter or Bastian to 4C so they could call up Halonen or Foote who may actually be able to contribute.
I think it'll be Bastian for a short term with lots of minutes for the top 3 centers, but if Lazar is out as long as we think he will be it might force us to trade for a center

Reactions: My3Sons

Owenay

Feb 9, 2008
Poinciana, FL
It’s going to be Willman or Bowers.
Not that it really matters, but so far for the Comets:

Willman - 6 games, 1G, 1A, -11!
Bowers - 6 games, 0G, 2A, -4
Dowling - 6 games, 2G 2A, -6
Schmelzer - 6 games, 0G 0A, -7
Beckman - 1 game, 1G 1A, +1
Hardman - 4 games, 1G 0A, -4
Stillman - 5 games, 0G 1A, -4
Halonen - 6 games, 2G 0A, -4
Foote - 5 games, 2G 4A, -2

How's that waiver wire looking?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It’s crazy how boned we got with the schedule to start the season. The Rags don’t have a b2b until the end of November, by which point we’ll have already had four of them. Not to mention multiple other instances of three in four/four in six days.

Shortened preseason, back to back in a foreign country, followed by 10 games in 18 days. It's certainly no wonder there's been a lot of moments of disarray out there given the lack of practice time the team has been able to put in.

It'll be good for them to have some games spread out for a change in the next week and a half, even if it's the Western Canada road trip.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think it'll be Bastian for a short term with lots of minutes for the top 3 centers, but if Lazar is out as long as we think he will be it might force us to trade for a center
I would imagine the Devils keep tabs on the waiver wire for the next couple weeks.

There’s no free agent centers available either aside from Tyler Johnson, Johansen, and Rem Pitlick. None of which would be a viable 4C option.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada

Willman is -11 ?? Put him with Palat. They will make beautiful music together

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007

The goaltenders' stats are really alarming

Screenshot 2024-10-28 at 9.09.49 AM.png

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Devils have to play b2b 11 times in the season now, they will play 5 until the end of November. It’s good to have only 6 b2b’s for December, Jan, Feb and March. It will make their live easier.

I hope they will continue to play the way they are playing and will develop their quality of the system. Nemec was quite good outside Casey and even when he played with him he cleaned a lot of plays. And still he isn’t roster player for obvious reasons - mistakes, hard roster competition. I would like to see more cleaner game from Dougie, Dillon and Luke, but Luke at least just returned from injury. For his happiness he isn’t in position to compete with as hard competition as Nemec. It’s good to have so great depth. Nemec is obviously good and nhl level defenseman now, Casey would play for some teams too. Misyul is nhl level player.
Devils had really one bad game against tampa and may be one or a couple of bad periods. But they were really good structurly overall. Keefe system looks good for now. They need to score more often - they lost to islanders and Detroit because they couldn’t score even with moments. I still like that they tried hard to return in every game, even in Tampa game.

Not great result, not perfect on ice play, but they are doing different things and they know what they are doing. They will clean it up.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad