Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How many of you guys out there have actually had a goaltending coach? Anyone? I never had any one who said anything other than basic stuff. Like, a head coach who knows nothing about goaltending stuff.Wtf could he possibly be doing to actually influence the goaltenders more than what the team defense is doing right now, in not playing defense?
I'm curious about his possible impacts and is they could be different than Luke putting it on DeBrincats stick or Dougie passing it to noone at all every time he has it.
They MAKE a HUGE difference. Look at the teams that actually have a good goalie coach. Look what Allaire did for Quick, who changed his style of play.

And look at the teams with bad goalie coaches/bad goalies. They don’t last there very long.

I know you won’t hardly ever blame the goalie, but you won’t even blame the goalie coach? How is keeping the goalie coach any different from if we kept Recchi still this many years, despite a horrible power play for 3 of 4 and now 4 going on 5 years?

I don’t blame Rogalski for everything. Jon Gillies absolutely sucks. And I honestly think Jake Allen is cooked, and he’s performed poorly with other teams. So I don’t think a new goalie coach would help him at all.

We fired the last goalie coach, who got fewer years than Rogalski has now had and he got some better performances (Kinkaid’s career year, the only 2 good seasons of Blackwood’s NHL career) even if there were some bad ones under him as well.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Safest job in the NHL apparently.
The team hired Manny Legace in the offseason. His title is “head amateur goaltending scout and goalie development coach”. I don’t think we had anyone with that title who Legace replaced.

Legace had been the goalie coach for Columbus for several years, as well as their AHL affiliate for several years before that. He didn’t work anywhere last year. It looks like Elvis’s astronomically bad 22-23 season probably got him ganked. Even though a historically poor performing goalie in Korpisalo had a career year that same season under him.

He was the goalie coach for NHL Columbus between 18-19 and 22-23. So he only had one year with Bobrovsky.

He was the goalie coach for that really good season Elvis had in 19-20 and Elvis played decently for the next two seasons he was there.

Korpisalo also had 2 of his only 3 decent to good NHL seasons while Legace was the Columbus goalie coach.

What does all of this mean? Normally I wouldn’t think a guy brought in to be head of goalie scouting had a chance to be new goalie coach, but where he also has the development coach title, he has prior experience as an NHL goalie coach AND combined with Rogalski PROBABLY being on the hot seat this year, this feels like when a team hires a former head coach as assistant or associate when the head coach is very clearly on the hot seat. Think Brunette a couple of years ago.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m not sure I believe the Ian Clark stuff. From what it sounded like he stepped into a new role for health reasons?

Of course it’s easy for people to try and connect him to us. Because Rogalski is no-count and it would appear he’s on the hot seat, and Clark is a very experienced goalie coach in the NHL. Has about 20+ years experience.

But saying we’re connected to him is almost like saying in January of last year “Reports are that Lindy Ruff is on the hot seat”. You don’t need inside info to know that.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Bratt on the 3rd line is heresy.

I agree with the rest of what you said for the most part. But Bratt would be better suited on the 1st line and swap Mercer to the 3rd. Mercer is basically producing like a 3rd liner or worse at this moment.
Bratt wouldn’t be on the third line by way of a demotion but more so he can carry his own line and spread the offense out. He’s still going to be on PP1 and the second/third PK group.

If I’m an opposing team, I need to decide whether I want my third pairing/line out against Hischier, Hughes, or Bratt. If the Devils need to stack the lines, you throw Bratt with Hughes/Hischier in the top six.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
How many of you guys out there have actually had a goaltending coach? Anyone? I never had any one who said anything other than basic stuff. Like, a head coach who knows nothing about goaltending stuff.Wtf could he possibly be doing to actually influence the goaltenders more than what the team defense is doing right now, in not playing defense?
I'm curious about his possible impacts and is they could be different than Luke putting it on DeBrincats stick or Dougie passing it to noone at all every time he has it.

watching the last 3 games and sticking up for the goaltending is an absolutely RIDICULOUS take lol jfc man

Reactions: Bleedred

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Bratt wouldn’t be on the third line by way of a demotion but more so he can carry his own line and spread the offense out. He’s still going to be on PP1 and the second/third PK group.

If I’m an opposing team, I need to decide whether I want my third pairing/line out against Hischier, Hughes, or Bratt. If the Devils need to stack the lines, you throw Bratt with Hughes/Hischier in the top six.

I understand you, I thought we had that depth in 22-23 to pull that off, we do now too, but it really depends on how Keefe sees ice time distribution. Id rather not short change Bratts ice time on third line (if Keefe goes traditional top 2 get the large ratio).

Given how Mercer is playing so far, is rather see him on the 3rd instead of and overload Bratt with Nico.

In a perfect world, your lines cause a lot of teams headaches.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
watching the last 3 games and sticking up for the goaltending is an absolutely RIDICULOUS take lol jfc man
I don't think goaltending was the difference in the Tampa game, though Allen gave up his fair share of poor goals. The team was horrible that night.

But it was absolutely the difference in the last two. We were by far the better team in the Detroit game, and the game winner with just minutes left in regulation was horrible.

Last game the teams were about even, but that horrible second rebound and goal on Allen was basically the difference in that one.

If that was Cory Schneider who gave up that rebound in 2014 he definitely would have shredded him for that one, and probably even talked about it for a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad