Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I still want to give Dougie more time before I go to DEFCON 1, he is still getting the rust off from a long term injury and learning a new system. Then again I have a little more patience with guys who weren’t actively involved in last year’s shitshow in general than the ones who were (Mercer, Hughes to a degree).
I’m also going to give some leeway to Luke and Pesce. These guys have to learn everything and it should take a few games to a few weeks for them to get to their top form.

Reactions: Darkauron

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I’m also going to give some leeway to Luke and Pesce. These guys have to learn everything and it should take a few games to a few weeks for them to get to their top form.

Part of me thinks Pesce will end up being the dman version of Palat but it is what it is, they had to try to get a partner for Luke in some fashion. Just annoying they went for the dude with the hip injury lmao. I think we'll see great things from Luke this year, you can see he's a bit rusty right now. If/when Pesce don't work, I wanna see Luke with Dougie

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I still want to give Dougie more time before I go to DEFCON 1, he is still getting the rust off from a long term injury and learning a new system. Then again I have a little more patience with guys who weren’t actively involved in last year’s shitshow in general than the ones who were (Mercer, Hughes to a degree).

Luke last night had at least 2 majorly idiotic plays that almost led to a goal against. They boiled down to, him in his own zone with time galore, with the puck on his stick, and the one play he makes was the one that is most dangerous and right to opposition forecheckers. He (we) got extremely lucky that they didn't end up in the back of the net.

Same Luke from last season so far. I'm going to give him another 6-10 games but still seems very frustrating player.

Absolute brain fart or low IQ plays from him. Last year I cooked it up as rookie year, learning, but I'm sorta getting the impression now maybe he just not (yet?) a high hockey IQ player (but has lots of raw talent/skill). Same for taking the shots from the point hitting shinpads almost every time.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Part of me thinks Pesce will end up being the dman version of Palat but it is what it is, they had to try to get a partner for Luke in some fashion. Just annoying they went for the dude with the hip injury lmao. I think we'll see great things from Luke this year, you can see he's a bit rusty right now. If/when Pesce don't work, I wanna see Luke with Dougie
I’m pretty confident in Pesce being a solid defensive player for us, but UFA signings are always tricky. He’s made some solid plays so far from what I’ve seen.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Luke last night had at least 2 majorly idiotic plays that almost led to a goal against. They boiled down to, him in his own zone with time galore, with the puck on his stick, and the one play he makes was the one that is most dangerous and right to opposition forecheckers. He (we) got extremely lucky that they didn't end up in the back of the net.

Same Luke from last season so far. I'm going to give him another 6-10 games but still seems very frustrating player.

Absolute brain fart or low IQ plays from him. Last year I cooked it up as rookie year, learning, but I'm sorta getting the impression now maybe he just not (yet?) a high hockey IQ (but lots of raw talent/skill). Same for taking the shots from the point hitting shinpads almost every time.
He’s a young offensive minded D-man who is in his second season, hasn’t had a lot of practice time and learning a new system. He’ll learn and lower some of those plays, but he’ll never be super solid defensively imo, he’ll balance it out with the offense though, which is what you want, and which was his game from the start. I do think he can be at least average defensively, especially with his skating/transition abilities. Very excited for him moving forward.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
He’s a young offensive minded D-man who is in his second season, hasn’t had a lot of practice time and learning a new system. He’ll learn and lower some of those plays, but he’ll never be super solid defensively imo, he’ll balance it out with the offense though, which is what you want, and which was his game from the start. I do think he can be at least average defensively, especially with his skating/transition abilities. Very excited for him moving forward.

Not sure I agree with this, yeah he can cut down on the boneheaded plays but all you have to do is as a coach there is tell him to rely on his instincts and not throw pizzas up the ice and rely on your skating when you feel pressure and if there's truly no outlet, just bank it off the glass. Or you could just put him a dark room with water/food and just watch Cale Makar/Roman Josi/Drew Doughty prime clips lol

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Yeah. I'm not chalking him up forever, but it's raising my antenna for now. He is young but I hope he can truly figure out how to improve the D side because he would be a very impressive force if he could play both.

I hope to see a more mature defensive game this season and he has less excuses than last year. I'm certain the offensive stuff will be there, but I hope it doesn't come at large cost to his defensive play. Maybe Pesce will be a goon season partner to help him.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I said it in the GDT to some extent, but I really don't see the aversion to having Luke and Nemec spend more time in the AHL. Granted, that was the plan last season before injuries forced Nemec up, but Luke was never penciled there and I feel like he should have been.

It's a lot harder to hide young defensemen, especially two of them, than it is to hide a young forward. Bottom pairing guys to replace them in the interim can be found on waivers or for like a 6th round pick.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I thought about it I’m going to give the guys a pass this season they are still young new coach guys back from injuries an even year going to odd year is always tough. Next year for sure compete for 8th place

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I said it in the GDT to some extent, but I really don't see the aversion to having Luke and Nemec spend more time in the AHL. Granted, that was the plan last season before injuries forced Nemec up, but Luke was never penciled there and I feel like he should have been.

It's a lot harder to hide young defensemen, especially two of them, than it is to hide a young forward. Bottom pairing guys to replace them in the interim can be found on waivers or for like a 6th round pick.

Luke was never going to spend time in the AHL. D men drafted in the top 10 who go to college just don't go to the AHL unless something goes wrong. Luke very obviously had the ability to jump into the NHL right away and so he did - it doesn't mean there won't be difficulties, obviously there will be, but the AHL wasn't going to teach him a whole lot.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Tatar-Hischier-Meier
Bratt-Hughes-Noesen
Cotter-Haula-Mercer
Palat-Lazar-Bastian

is what I'd run and probably go 11-7 some nights with either Palat or Bastian coming out because they should put Nemec back in. And Palat especially isn't adding much to the lineup and there's really no one the Devils have in the AHL either forward wise so it's probably worth it to double shift some guys with Lazar. Some days I kinda wanna see Casey as a winger lol to see if he could help with forward depth

When running 11-7 they could do something like this at times:
Siegenthaler-Kovacevic
Dillon/Pesce-Hamilton
Hughes-Pesce/Nemec
Dillon/Nemec

I'd like to see if a Pesce-Hamilton pairing could work in the long run even though its R-R because then you should be able to create two pairings that eat a bunch of minutes (and hopefully a better pairing for Dougie as well) that could create some easier minutes for Hughes-Nemec to succeed as a pairing. Doubt they'd try it though

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Tatar-Hischier-Meier
Bratt-Hughes-Noesen
Cotter-Haula-Mercer
Palat-Lazar-Bastian

is what I'd run and probably go 11-7 some nights with either Palat or Bastian coming out because they should put Nemec back in. And Palat especially isn't adding much to the lineup and there's really no one the Devils have in the AHL either forward wise so it's probably worth it to double shift some guys with Lazar. Some days I kinda wanna see Casey as a winger lol to see if he could help with forward depth

When running 11-7 they could do something like this at times:
Siegenthaler-Kovacevic
Dillon/Pesce-Hamilton
Hughes-Pesce/Nemec
Dillon/Nemec

I'd like to see if a Pesce-Hamilton pairing could work in the long run even though its R-R because then you should be able to create two pairings that eat a bunch of minutes (and hopefully a better pairing for Dougie as well) that could create some easier minutes for Hughes-Nemec to succeed as a pairing. Doubt they'd try it though

Been screaming for 11-7 because it'll create competition for the true 6 dmen who should play nightly while also getting Jack/studs more ice time since the 4th line is a black hole

Reactions: R8Devs

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I think Pesce looks really good for just getting back into the lineup, he's been solid. Luke on the other hand is a mess back there, it has nothing to do with learning systems, this is shit you learn what not to do with the puck when you're 10 years old. He really needs to clean it up and just make the simple play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whaddagoal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad