Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Siegenthaler Hamilton
Luke Pesce
Dillon Kovacevic/Nemec

Could also see them going with a shutdown pair but unsure of how they would handle it after that.

Siegenthaler Pesce
Luke (Hamilton or Kovacevic/Nemec)
Dillon (Hamilton or Kovacevic/Nemec)

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
my definitive player rankings so far this season

THE GOOD

Hischier
Meier
Noesen
Cotter
Kovacevic
Siegenthaler
Bastian (shockingly)

THE MEH
Jack
Bratt
Hamilton
Mercer
Tatar

THE BAD

Palat
Nemec
Dillon
Haula
Lazar
Only a matter of time before 86 63 start taking charge of games

We need the D group to be better organized. Luke and Pesce will help

I have faith Keefe will get this group playing good hockey

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
my definitive player rankings so far this season

THE GOOD

Hischier
Meier
Noesen
Cotter
Kovacevic
Siegenthaler
Bastian (shockingly)

THE MEH
Jack
Bratt
Hamilton
Mercer
Tatar

THE BAD

Palat
Nemec
Dillon
Haula
Lazar
I feel like Hamilton definitely deserves to be in the bad given his contract and what his standard should be.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Siegenthaler Hamilton
Luke Pesce
Dillon Kovacevic/Nemec

Could also see them going with a shutdown pair but unsure of how they would handle it after that.

Siegenthaler Pesce
Luke (Hamilton or Kovacevic/Nemec)
Dillon (Hamilton or Kovacevic/Nemec)
Nemec has no business playing ahead of Kovacevic at this point. Send him down to sharpen up his defensive game.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Now if this was a Lindy Ruff team, I am onboard the Doom train.

But too early for me. As I said, this group has until 12/1 for me. It will be very difficult for them not to be contending for a playoff spot by then due to the mediocrity shown by the Metro so far.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Nemec has no business playing ahead of Kovacevic at this point. Send him down to sharpen up his defensive game.
I mean I didn’t say he should anywhere in that post but as I explained in another post I wouldn’t and doubt they should send him down. He also played very well tonight apart from that one bad lapse at the end of a good offensive shift. And he’s been better in general lately which Keefe has also said.

But I think sending him down would be counterproductive to what he needs.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Only a matter of time before 86 63 start taking charge of games

We need the D group to be better organized. Luke and Pesce will help

I have faith Keefe will get this group playing good hockey
The regular season has never been a problem for Keefe. Even when the Leafs started slow they'd pick it up and end up with 100+ points. Until proven otherwise I see no reason to think this team won't also pick it up. Besides, we're hardly the only good team to not get off to a great start this year.

That being said, I understand the "here we go again" mentality from some because we've made the playoffs twice in the last 12 years. It's easy to become jaded and start expecting the worst.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I mean I didn’t say he should anywhere in that post but as I explained in another post I wouldn’t and doubt they should send him down. He also played very well tonight apart from that one bad lapse at the end of a good offensive shift. And he’s been better in general lately which Keefe has also said.

But I think sending him down would be counterproductive to what he needs.
I think he'd be better off getting 20 minutes a night in Utica vs sitting in the pressbox.

Just too many mental lapses that put his partner in really bad spots. He needs to be much smarter positionally - his skating isn't good enough to play so aggressively in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think he'd be better off getting 20 minutes a night in Utica vs sitting in the pressbox.

Just too many mental lapses that put his partner in really bad spots. He needs to be much smarter positionally - his skating isn't good enough to play so aggressively in the offensive zone.
One bad costly mental lapse tonight. Good offensive shift and he got a little too eager and unaware. Happens especially with a young dmen.

As for the first part I completely disagree. If he’s in the press box for a long time sure. But if he’s getting rotated in I think that’s way better for his development. And hopefully he just takes the spot by the reigns at some point.

The biggest things Nemec needs to work on are playing aggressively and with intensity every game and shift and, he needs to figure out what he can and can’t do and can get away with at the NHL level.

Sending him down to the AHL is not gonna improve either of those things. He’s gonna play more minutes in an easier league where he can get away with more. I think it’ll be counterproductive and he’ll be at best in a similar spot whenever he comes back up.

As I also explained in another post young players needing to play a ton of games is one of the most overrated things around.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
One bad costly mental lapse tonight. Good offensive shift and he got a little too eager and unaware. Happens especially with a young dmen.

As for the first part I completely disagree. If he’s in the press box for a long time sure. But if he’s getting rotated in I think that’s way better for his development. And hopefully he just takes the spot by the reigns at some point.

The biggest things Nemec needs to work on are playing aggressively and with intensity every game and shift and, he needs to figure out what he can and can’t do and can get away with at the NHL level.

Sending him down to the AHL is not gonna improve either of those things. He’s gonna play more minutes in an easier league where he can get away with more. I think it’ll be counterproductive and he’ll be at best in a similar spot whenever he comes back up.

As I also explained in another post young players needing to play a ton of games is one of the most overrated things around.
I don't see how you justify rotating him in over Kovacevic with how they've played. Nemec has been better lately but still pretty far from good. Those mental lapses have happened every game.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don't see how you justify rotating him in over Kovacevic with how they've played. Nemec has been better lately but still pretty far from good. Those mental lapses have happened every game.
They really haven’t happened like that every game whatsoever and he’s played well recently.

Kovacevic started really well and hasn’t been as great the last couple games or so. I would still keep him in over Nemec for now but unless he’s lights out it would be entirely justifiable to rotate him out for Nemec after a loss in a few games or so. Most teams do have some rotation and Kovacevic despite the great start isn’t too good of a player to take out and I there’s a good chance Nemec will earn the spot over him in the long run.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Kovacevic has either been the best D or the 2nd best D on the team. Only bad game he's had is when he got forced onto his off side. You don't rotate Kovacevic if you're a serious team.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Agreed, a one man player doesn't make the entire roster but if Hughes plays up to his top potential he puts us from being a great team to an elite one. Right now he's obviously not playing to his top potential and tbh with you I think management has completely overlooked what Jack needs as long term line mates which is why he doesn't have any right now. We originally drafted Holtz because at the time we thought Hughes was going to be less of a goal scorer but Hughes ended up becoming our best goalscorer. Timo & Bratt I think are both best suited for Nico (Bratt can play with anyone but Nico/Meier shouldn't be seperated). The idea at the time was to get Hughes a big power forward who can score but we completely overlooked the fact that Timo wants to carry play just like Hughes does & putting them together negates their best talents. I think what Hughes ultimately needs for long term line mates aren't top end offensive superstars. I think Hughes will be at his best with a fast player who can keep up with him but take all defensive responsibilities (faceoffs, board battles, forecheck & have a little bit of offense). Give him 2 players who are big, fast, defensive and a little bit of offensive supporters. These players don't need to be top 6 talents. They just need to be able to control the board so Hughes has the ability to free roam and do whatever he wants. Let them cover for his deficiencies. A center/winger which can take faceoffs for him with another player who can play the body & screen the goalie playing great defensive players will do wonders for Hughes. Let him drive his own line with a great supporting cast. These don't need to be ppg players.
I think Jack’s ideal line mates would be someone like Vince Trocheck (great two way, good on the dot, hard nosed player) and someone like Zach Hyman for size and to get the puck in the net on rebounds/crashes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad