Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Except Kurtis is who you're suggesting.

he is the only healthy player in the press box. If you take Jack out, you put macdermid in.
I have disallowed myself to comment further.

But solid point.

Unrelated, but I’d really like to take a look at Beckman

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Jumping straight to benching Jack doesn't make sense. See how he responds to being dropped to PP2 if he doesn't snap out of it soon. Balance the units a bit and roll 60-40 split or so. The staff is in a tough spot going after his ES minutes because, again, they have no center depth unless Mercer can function as a utility C. Haula is a fine 3C, but he can't play up the lineup consistently imo.

If that didn't work and Mercer can function as a C, next step would be trying something like this (highly unlikely):
Tatar/Palat/Cotter/whoever - Nico - Bratt
Hughes - Mercer - Meier (he can play right damnit)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Jumping straight to benching Jack doesn't make sense. See how he responds to being dropped to PP2 if he doesn't snap out of it soon. Balance the units a bit and roll 60-40 split or so. The staff is in a tough spot going after his ES minutes because, again, they have no center depth unless Mercer can function as a utility C. Haula is a fine 3C, but he can't play up the lineup consistently imo.

If that didn't work and Mercer can function as a C, next step would be trying something like this (highly unlikely):
Tatar/Palat/Cotter/whoever - Nico - Bratt
Hughes - Mercer - Meier (he can play right damnit)
Lmao. Thank god none of you guys are coaches.

"Let's take our best PP weapon off PP1 so we can both make our team less successful and get him less opportunity to work through things"

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Lmao. Thank god none of you guys are coaches.

"Let's take our best PP weapon off PP1 so we can both make our team less successful and get him less opportunity to work through things"
If they did something like that here and there for load management it might make sense. As a semi-punishment until he's back to 100% it is self defeating as you've noted.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If they did something like that here and there for load management it might make sense. As a semi-punishment until he's back to 100% it is self defeating as you've noted.
If you want to ride the hot hand by cutting some of his 5v5 minutes for the currently blazing hot Noesen-Cotter combo, go ahead.

But taking the literal engine of your PP off of the PP is insane. NJD legit struggles to even get into the ozone without Jack and Luke on the PP.

Reactions: My3Sons

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Edit: I meant to post this here so am double-posting from the GDT

Im not going to overreact to this Tampa game

It shows it was foolish of us (including me) to assume this team would just forget and fix all its problems in training camp

In fact, Id argue its good these problems are rearing their ugly heads again this early on. That way we arent caught off guard because the talent simply got us far enough

Effort level and consistency of mental engagement were two big problems I felt this team had and clearly still has; Keefe has his work cut out for him and knows what needs to be done

Double edit: another double post, why not!

Just to get use of a cliche phrase in:
Rome wasnt built in a day

And as someone who took until 30 years of age to begin to find themselves, all I can do is show the same level of patience and understanding that I needed

Theyll be alright in the end

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
NJ have been torched on the high cycle. Their low zone protecting the house just isn’t working. They are allowing 3 guys high time and space to get dangerous chances off.

I think the rest of their game looks promising, they generate a ton of scoring chances when they arent pinned in their own end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad