Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Perhaps because trying to turn a winger into a faceoff guy at age 27 is f***ing stupid and a waste of time.

And that perhaps guys who have spent their lives taking faceoffs are better at taking faceoffs (shocking, I know)
lol I promise it doesn’t take years of practice to be good at faceoffs. Lots of guys are just naturally good. Also, you’d be surprised to find that the vast majority of NHL forwards probably spent more of their lives playing center and taking faceoffs when they were younger. And then shifted to wing as they moved up levels to the NHL.

Not sure why you’re so fired up and swearing either. Relax it was a perfectly friendly debate.

This guy is the worst
Regardless of your opinion of him, the vast majority of that argument is statistically based.

The problem with those numbers is they completely discount the PP. The stats that completely ignore the PP are flawed. Jack obviously adds value there well above and beyond Hischier. There are no perfect stats that tell the whole story.
That’d be true if he was purely comparing Nico and Jack and suggesting Nico is better which he isn’t doing. He’s not talking about the powerplay. Even though he doesn’t say it it’s pretty clearly a 5v5 discussion.

Reactions: My3Sons

Barry Tallackson

Mar 4, 2014
IMG_1648.jpeg

I didn’t even look at those tweets.. this is a gem from this week

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
lol I promise it doesn’t take years of practice to be good at faceoffs. Lots of guys are just naturally good. Also, you’d be surprised to find that the vast majority of NHL forwards probably spent more of their lives playing center and taking faceoffs when they were younger. And then shifted to wing as they moved up levels to the NHL.

Not sure why you’re so fired up and swearing either. Relax it was a perfectly friendly debate.

Regardless of your opinion of him, the vast majority of that argument is statistically based.

That’d be true if he was purely comparing Nico and Jack and suggesting Nico is better which he isn’t doing. He’s not talking about the powerplay. Even though he doesn’t say it it’s pretty clearly a 5v5 discussion.
Also, you literally picked the player on the devils with the least success on faceoffs besides Palat.

Meier has a half decent record (heck he was nearly 50% last year), as does Noesen, Bastian, even Tatar wins 10-20 a year, and ofc Cotter Lazar Mercer Haula Hischier.

There is literally nothing to suggest Bratt would be a good faceoff guy, or that he even wants to.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
View attachment 919633
I didn’t even look at those tweets.. this is a gem from this week
He's been putrid this year. He hasn't been good during his tenure with the Devils save for the first round against NY two years ago. They need to move on from him after this season. 7/1/25 that NMC changes to a 10 team NTC. Find someone to take him with a prospect or pick and be done.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Also, you literally picked the player on the devils with the least success on faceoffs besides Palat.

Meier has a half decent record (heck he was nearly 50% last year), as does Noesen, Bastian, even Tatar wins 10-20 a year, and ofc Cotter Lazar Mercer Haula Hischier.

There is literally nothing to suggest Bratt would be a good faceoff guy, or that he even wants to.
How many faceoffs has he taken? That’s also completely besides the point. My point wasn’t Bratt should take faceoffs. It was anyone but Jack should be trying it out given how bad he consistently is. If that’s Bratt so be it he’s never had a run and maybe he could turn into a better faceoff man than Jack pretty quickly. They wouldn’t even have to be a good faceoff man as you said. Just a not horrible to okay one.

It’s pretty simple to me.
You have one guy here who has a very large sample of being completely horrendous on faceoffs. And then you have some unknowns who don’t have much of a sample at all and could be bad or could be marginally to a lot better. It’s a super low risk thing to be trying given how bad Jack is. And could be rewarded if someone else turns out to be better.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Agreed, a one man player doesn't make the entire roster but if Hughes plays up to his top potential he puts us from being a great team to an elite one. Right now he's obviously not playing to his top potential and tbh with you I think management has completely overlooked what Jack needs as long term line mates which is why he doesn't have any right now. We originally drafted Holtz because at the time we thought Hughes was going to be less of a goal scorer but Hughes ended up becoming our best goalscorer. Timo & Bratt I think are both best suited for Nico (Bratt can play with anyone but Nico/Meier shouldn't be seperated). The idea at the time was to get Hughes a big power forward who can score but we completely overlooked the fact that Timo wants to carry play just like Hughes does & putting them together negates their best talents. I think what Hughes ultimately needs for long term line mates aren't top end offensive superstars. I think Hughes will be at his best with a fast player who can keep up with him but take all defensive responsibilities (faceoffs, board battles, forecheck & have a little bit of offense). Give him 2 players who are big, fast, defensive and a little bit of offensive supporters. These players don't need to be top 6 talents. They just need to be able to control the board so Hughes has the ability to free roam and do whatever he wants. Let them cover for his deficiencies. A center/winger which can take faceoffs for him with another player who can play the body & screen the goalie playing great defensive players will do wonders for Hughes. Let him drive his own line with a great supporting cast. These don't need to be ppg players.

I've said it before but the best fit for his winger is Oliver Bjorkstrand, elite shot and he doesn't need to put a ton of shots to score nightly + very good skater. I would kill to get him out of Seattle sometime soon.

Camille the Eel

re Jack - the single thing I wished for most before this season is that the club would be less dependent on him individually. That we and He would play more of a team game. That is happening so far although the sample size is still small.

Our attack is more balanced and the team defense is better. Scoring is coming from all over the lineup. We aren’t asking Jack to be supermen to win. I see him fitting into a team concept well and doing his job at both ends of the ice.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Rangers probably leap us once they catch up in games but I too am satisfied with the beginning of this season. It was just as possible we start 2-5-1 and still recover just fine

Buffalo and Washington twice each and Ottawa on the early schedule. No way Devils were starting 2-5-1.

But seeing as Seamus is part of Club Hughes and was sent down, Sheldon Keefe may not want to get too comfortable here in NJ.

For anyone intersted.

Still don't get it. Team has one of the most popular uniforms in the league. And instead chooses to wear those colorless costumes.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
re Jack - the single thing I wished for most before this season is that the club would be less dependent on him individually. That we and He would play more of a team game. That is happening so far although the sample size is still small.

Our attack is more balanced and the team defense is better. Scoring is coming from all over the lineup. We aren’t asking Jack to be supermen to win. I see him fitting into a team concept well and doing his job at both ends of the ice.

Great take.

Does he have the capability of fitting into that concept? His two-way defending seemed improved during the Prague trip. Seems like he's making the effort.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Great take.

Does he have the capability of fitting into that concept? His two-way defending seemed improved during the Prague trip. Seems like he's making the effort.
Complementing Jack and agreeing with a positive post? Who are you and what have you done with Jersey Fan 12?

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
This isn't the damn NBA, one player doesn't make an entire roster lmao. If that was the case, the Oilers/Rags/Leafs would have cups by now. It's a star driven league, sure, but Jack Hughes isn't the end all be all for this team. Edmonton fans said this shit with Taylor Hall to discredit him and the guy walked out of that shithole franchise and won a MVP 3 years later. We still don't even have a long term line for Jack after the him/Meier play styles don't mesh.
The Devs don't have Center depth. They don't have great goaltending. They don't have a strong+ forward pipeline. Therefore, Jack Hughes determines if this team seriously contends. Not hard if you can try to be the least bit objective instead of making nonsensical strawman arguments (and that's being generous).

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The Devs don't have Center depth. They don't have great goaltending. They don't have a strong+ forward pipeline. Therefore, Jack Hughes determines if this team seriously contends. Not hard if you can try to be the least bit objective instead of making nonsensical strawman arguments (and that's being generous).
Saying the team has all those flaws unless one player single handedly makes them "seriously contend" is nonsensical as I see it. It's hockey. When has an otherwise mediocre team with one good player outside perhaps a goalie "seriously contended"?

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Weird how you forgot to mention that they've picked defensemen in the top 10 in 3 of the last 4 drafts or anything about defensemen. Oh well. Guess you just forgot about that! It's sort of funny to do that when you mention the word 'strawman'! in your post but I respect a solid attempt at humor.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Jack tries stuff other "safer" players wouldn't because he actually has the ability. When it works, he looks like a superstar. When it doesn't, he's "irresponsible with the puck". Pucks will start going in, he'll get his swagger back, and we'll all look back on this with a chuckle. Well, at least until the playoffs and then he'll be accused of "not being built for the playoffs".
It rarely works. And it’s almost expected at this point it’s going to be a turnover. So yes, that is irresponsible. Until your success rate is anywhere above say 5%, I’d say stop doing that crap and start using your teammates more. Being a superstar and using your teammates when the time calls for it, are not mutually exclusive.

He isn’t built for the playoffs right now. He isn’t even built for the regular season right now. He can barely win a board battle.
Can that change? Sure. But gonna need to see it. Gonna need to see he can give and take physical contact. Gonna need to actually put up points like the big boys.

Reactions: Patrik26

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vasilevskiy was horrible tonight.

For anyone intersted.

10 games is more than fine. It felt like there’s been closer to 15 the last few years since we started wearing it. It felt like every other home game down the final stretch they were wearing them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad