Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Perhaps because trying to turn a winger into a faceoff guy at age 27 is f***ing stupid and a waste of time.

And that perhaps guys who have spent their lives taking faceoffs are better at taking faceoffs (shocking, I know)
lol I promise it doesn’t take years of practice to be good at faceoffs. Lots of guys are just naturally good. Also, you’d be surprised to find that the vast majority of NHL forwards probably spent more of their lives playing center and taking faceoffs when they were younger. And then shifted to wing as they moved up levels to the NHL.

Not sure why you’re so fired up and swearing either. Relax it was a perfectly friendly debate.

This guy is the worst
Regardless of your opinion of him, the vast majority of that argument is statistically based.

The problem with those numbers is they completely discount the PP. The stats that completely ignore the PP are flawed. Jack obviously adds value there well above and beyond Hischier. There are no perfect stats that tell the whole story.
That’d be true if he was purely comparing Nico and Jack and suggesting Nico is better which he isn’t doing. He’s not talking about the powerplay. Even though he doesn’t say it it’s pretty clearly a 5v5 discussion.

Reactions: My3Sons

Barry Tallackson

Mar 4, 2014
IMG_1648.jpeg

I didn’t even look at those tweets.. this is a gem from this week

Reactions: NjDevsRR

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
lol I promise it doesn’t take years of practice to be good at faceoffs. Lots of guys are just naturally good. Also, you’d be surprised to find that the vast majority of NHL forwards probably spent more of their lives playing center and taking faceoffs when they were younger. And then shifted to wing as they moved up levels to the NHL.

Not sure why you’re so fired up and swearing either. Relax it was a perfectly friendly debate.

Regardless of your opinion of him, the vast majority of that argument is statistically based.

That’d be true if he was purely comparing Nico and Jack and suggesting Nico is better which he isn’t doing. He’s not talking about the powerplay. Even though he doesn’t say it it’s pretty clearly a 5v5 discussion.
Also, you literally picked the player on the devils with the least success on faceoffs besides Palat.

Meier has a half decent record (heck he was nearly 50% last year), as does Noesen, Bastian, even Tatar wins 10-20 a year, and ofc Cotter Lazar Mercer Haula Hischier.

There is literally nothing to suggest Bratt would be a good faceoff guy, or that he even wants to.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
View attachment 919633
I didn’t even look at those tweets.. this is a gem from this week
He's been putrid this year. He hasn't been good during his tenure with the Devils save for the first round against NY two years ago. They need to move on from him after this season. 7/1/25 that NMC changes to a 10 team NTC. Find someone to take him with a prospect or pick and be done.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Also, you literally picked the player on the devils with the least success on faceoffs besides Palat.

Meier has a half decent record (heck he was nearly 50% last year), as does Noesen, Bastian, even Tatar wins 10-20 a year, and ofc Cotter Lazar Mercer Haula Hischier.

There is literally nothing to suggest Bratt would be a good faceoff guy, or that he even wants to.
How many faceoffs has he taken? That’s also completely besides the point. My point wasn’t Bratt should take faceoffs. It was anyone but Jack should be trying it out given how bad he consistently is. If that’s Bratt so be it he’s never had a run and maybe he could turn into a better faceoff man than Jack pretty quickly. They wouldn’t even have to be a good faceoff man as you said. Just a not horrible to okay one.

It’s pretty simple to me.
You have one guy here who has a very large sample of being completely horrendous on faceoffs. And then you have some unknowns who don’t have much of a sample at all and could be bad or could be marginally to a lot better. It’s a super low risk thing to be trying given how bad Jack is. And could be rewarded if someone else turns out to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad