Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Hard pass...

Screenshot_20241018_143802_Gmail.jpg

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Things xG can’t capture for $500, Alex.

19 xGA seems better than 22.19 xGA, no? Seems like the defensive change is being adequately captured.

If we are going to go advanced stat truther already we might want to wait until the evidence actually lines up with your quip.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Looking ahead, we’re almost certainly buying out the final two years of Palats contract this offseason, right?

Shame he ended up being such a flop.
Looks headed in that direction, this is the hit:

1729281981615.png

I can see the FO deciding that's more desirable than whatever it would cost to dump him, and the buyout hit is not a complete nonstarter.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Wow! I can't wait to get my RWJBarnabas Health Patch™️!

said literally no one ever

You joke but you know there's gonna be some weirdos getting this patch put on simply because the players wear them so at least kudos to the team for not charging season ticket holders who actually want it lol

• Haha
Reactions: youryeah

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
You joke but you know there's gonna be some weirdos getting this patch put on simply because the players wear them so at least kudos to the team for not charging season ticket holders who actually want it lol

But what if the jersey is autographed? Then I have to buy an old jersey on eBay, go and get the patch put on that jersey, take it home and cut the patch off, and attach it on the autographed version.

Oh wait, what am I talking about. You would just put a piece of duct tape over the autograph, get the patch put on, and then very carefully peel the duct tape back off. Easy peasy.

• Haha
Reactions: Satans Hockey

devilsfan950003

Jul 3, 2023
Just need to wait to see Playoff P again, that's where his contract will look like a steal!
Palat's salary is going to be difficult to dump. Would have to throw in prospects and picks.

He may play on the fourth line, he's a good forechecker with some grit. He's an overpriced fourth liner that's for certain. However, keep him there until he proves he deserves a promotion. If injuries hit, he could be placed in the top six. Hopefully, when they enter the playoffs that's when he shines.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Looks headed in that direction, this is the hit:

View attachment 918271

I can see the FO deciding that's more desirable than whatever it would cost to dump him, and the buyout hit is not a complete nonstarter.
Eating 9 mill in cap space?

How is that not a nonstarter?

If you think Palat is bad, you'll hate what you can get with 1.5 mill a year worth to replace him. (would be more like 3 but then you waste 1.5 mill for another 2 years).

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's gonna be a thing if they think they can get a more productive players with those savings which I mean, at this rate, probably won't be hard to find
Palat's buyout would cost 9 mill in total cap.

Here are the UFAs wingers Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.35.50 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.35.57 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.36.03 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.36.09 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-10-18 at 7.36.14 PM.pngwho signed at 1.5 mill or less last year:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Eating 9 mill in cap space?

How is that not a nonstarter?

If you think Palat is bad, you'll hate what you can get with 1.5 mill a year worth to replace him. (would be more like 3 but then you waste 1.5 mill for another 2 years).
It would be an addition by subtraction move, if things continue down this path. And yeah you're borrowing money from future cap basically to get ~2.5m to replace him.

It's the worst case scenario and it's not out of the realm of possibility imo.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still think Palat can be taken as a cap dump, it's just a matter of what we have to send back.

Though the 8 or 10 team (whatever it is) no trade list may be hard to get through if it's got nothing but those teams on there.

At the very latest a buyout on his last year isn't so hard to absorb. But even then, someone may take the one more year rather than two more years.

Maybe he'll score around 30 points this year.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Palat's buyout would cost 9 mill in total cap.

Here are the UFAs wingers View attachment 918319View attachment 918320View attachment 918321View attachment 918322View attachment 918323who signed at 1.5 mill or less last year:
We have Gritsyuk coming over and maybe Lenni in a couple years who will be cheap. Fitz also did just trade for Cotter who makes 775K. It’s possible to upgrade the roster with the money saved from a buyout. Doesn’t have to be a signing.

Reactions: Bleedred

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
We have Gritsyuk coming over and maybe Lenni in a couple years who will be cheap. Fitz also did just trade for Cotter who makes 775K. It’s possible to upgrade the roster with the money saved from a buyout. Doesn’t have to be a signing.
The amount of cap space we gain from buying out palat (2.5 mill, 3.5 mill, -1.5 mill, -1.5 mill, total 3 mill savings) is not worth the value Palat provides as a hockey player for the next 2 years.

It is a waste of cap space and in turn value.

You're letting the fact he currently makes 6 mill cloud your judgement. Don't let the first mistake (signing him) lead you to a second mistake (buying him out when he is worth more than what the buyout will save you)

If he made 1.5 mill he would be a steal (by buying him out you are basically saying he is worth less than that)

I'd take him on my team at 3 mill even.

I would rather do any of the following before buying him out

1) Trade him 50% retained for either nothing/minimal return, saving us 1.5 mill a year in 27-28 and 28-29
2) Pay a 1st to dump his full contract, and get a Brett Pesce caliber player in UFA
3) Keep him in the lineup, and use a 1st to buy another cotter type cheap AAV asset or retention on a currently more expensive asset

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The amount of cap space we gain from buying out palat (2.5 mill, 3.5 mill, -1.5 mill, -1.5 mill, total 3 mill savings) is not worth the value Palat provides as a hockey player for the next 2 years.

It is a waste of cap space and in turn value.

You're letting the fact he currently makes 6 mill cloud your judgement. Don't let the first mistake (signing him) lead you to a second mistake (buying him out when he is worth more than what the buyout will save you)

If he made 1.5 mill he would be a steal (by buying him out you are basically saying he is worth less than that)

I'd take him on my team at 3 mill even.

I would rather do any of the following before buying him out

1) Trade him 50% retained for either nothing/minimal return, saving us 1.5 mill a year in 27-28 and 28-29
2) Pay a 1st to dump his full contract, and get a Brett Pesce caliber player in UFA
3) Keep him in the lineup, and use a 1st to buy another cotter type cheap AAV asset or retention on a currently more expensive asset
There is nothing clouding my judgement as I’ve been one of his strongest defenders. Palat’s value to the team is currently 0.00. The hypothetical buyout being discussed is happening if Palat doesn’t increase his level of play, I assume? He was fine last year, this year he’s been beyond pathetic.

He won’t be on the roster next year if he doesn’t improve. And I don’t see a trade happening given his contract and clauses.

Ad

Ad

Ad