Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I think Nemec goes down too. Siegenthaler-Hamilton, Hughes-Pesce, Dillon-Kovacevic allows for them to develop more on Utica.

I'm not sure they'd be in a rush to break up Siegs-Kov...

I'd do the unthinkable and go Hughes - Hamilton. Chaos mode.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Cause that's what we do here?

Yes, I know that speculation is part of this message board. The point is that it's not anything interesting to speculate about at all, Jack Hughes averages more than a shot a game more than Jesper Bratt over the last 3 seasons. It's like asking who's going to have more shots, Ovechkin or Backstrom?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yes, I know that speculation is part of this message board. The point is that it's not anything interesting to speculate about at all, Jack Hughes averages more than a shot a game more than Jesper Bratt over the last 3 seasons. It's like asking who's going to have more shots, Ovechkin or Backstrom?
i've thought about this a lot, and i'm going with ovechkin

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But this year Hughes is way down.

It's early, small sample yes. But, as I note above, I wonder about the line mate factor. I also wonder about the shoulders.

I'd also say this isn't a Ovie-Backstrom situation as Hughes is not the shooter Ovie is, and he is also more diverse offensively. Hughes has some Backstrom in his game.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Why are you speculating about this? Bratt and Jack have been on the same team for their whole careers. Over the last 3 seasons, Jack has missed 57 games, and Bratt has missed 6. Bratt has 657 shots in 240 games, Jack has 775 in 189. So yeah, I do think Jack might have a higher shot rate than Bratt this season.
I suppose it being a new year with a different coach was why. I wasnt thinking about how obvious it was or wasnt; moreso just talking for the fun of it

Their shot totals are farther apart than I thought. Never really looked and was just assuming. Something I should probably do less of as I grow older

Edit - word choice

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I suppose it being a new year with a different coach was why. I wasnt thinking about how obvious it was or wasnt; moreso just talking for the fun of it

Their shot totals are farther apart than I thought. Never really looked, moreso was just assuming. Something I should probably do less of as I grow older
I see an Oct join date? New to the board, or new handle?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
But this year Hughes is way down.

It's early, small sample yes. But, as I note above, I wonder about the line mate factor. I also wonder about the shoulders.

I'd also say this isn't a Ovie-Backstrom situation as Hughes is not the shooter Ovie is, and he is also more diverse offensively. Hughes has some Backstrom in his game.

I don't wonder about any of this at all. Hughes's timing was off for the first 5 games. It won't stay that way all season. Nor will he keep the same linemates all season. Might he be down from 4+ shots a game? Yes.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
I see an Oct join date? New to the board, or new handle?
Found this website many years ago and its been a part of my life ever since. So new handle...

Wanted to start cleaning up the way I live and change the way I think to be a positive mindset. Figured no better way to do that then have something to keep my mind off of the wrong things, and I love talking sports (even if, as shown above, sometimes its repeating things everyone knows already)

Reddit's layout isnt my cup of tea and I like using it more for reading news. This feels more like an old school forum from my younger days (00s)

So yeah Im not new.. but Id like to think Im coming in a 'new' person than what I was. Hopefully thats okay with everyone but if not I wont push it and Ill accept what Ive lost; even if its loved

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't wonder about any of this at all. Hughes's timing was off for the first 5 games. It won't stay that way all season. Nor will he keep the same linemates all season. Might he be down from 4+ shots a game? Yes.
Cool. What other things do you not wonder about? Coaching change perhaps? Ruff definitely gave Hughes a ton of free reign. Does Keefe direct Hughes to look for others more?

I'm also seeing, as this is indicative of how player dynamics are not static, is we have seen Bratt's PP shot rate increase dramatically since 21-22 when he averaged less then 6 shots per 60. That jumped to above 9/60 in 22-23, above 10/60 in 23-24, and is currently above 14/60. This seasons jump could be small sample stuff, but it could also be due in part to the coaching change, and it could also be due to Bratt continuing to evolve his game. We've seen his pp shot rate trending upwards in recent years, so I would not be at all surprised if that trend continues.

Further Bratt's 5v5 shot attempt rate has actually increased every season he has been in the league. And that trend continues early this year. That's pretty interesting too I thinks. I thought late in the game vs Carolina he was pushing the puck more individually then I remember him typically doing, so again, maybe indicative of Bratt continuing to evolve what has been a continuously evolving game.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Found this website many years ago and its been a part of my life ever since. So new handle...

Wanted to start cleaning up the way I live and change the way I think to be a positive mindset. Figured no better way to do that then have something to keep my mind off of the wrong things, and I love talking sports (even if, as shown above, sometimes its repeating things everyone knows already)

Reddit's layout isnt my cup of tea and I like using it more for reading news. This feels more like an old school forum from my younger days (00s)

So yeah Im not new.. but Id like to think Im coming in a 'new' person than what I was. Hopefully thats okay with everyone but if not I wont push it and Ill accept what Ive lost; even if its loved
Do you have the peanuts thing under your previous handle? If so I think I remember you.

But anyways. I thought you were making a good point. And I think we all say stuff that's been posted numerous times before, so I wouldn't sweat any of that. Enjoy the discussion.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Curious, was the 'V' in 'retvrn' intentional to subtly refer to forums in Ancient Rome or just a typo? If the former that was quite clever.
intentional, but I can't take credit for it.

It's something commonly used by morons with roman statuary pfps on the internet when they suggest we should go back to a time when the internet they're using to make stupid posts didn't exist and (more importantly for them, I suspect) women were property.

I like to use it tongue in cheek because it's extremely funny to me

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Do you have the peanuts thing under your previous handle? If so I think I remember you.

But anyways. I thought you were making a good point. And I think we all say stuff that's been posted numerous times before, so I wouldn't sweat any of that. Enjoy the discussion.
Im not too sure really... To be honest, my past handles are a bit of a jumbled blur to me. And yes, sadly, I said handles

If I could go back in time and change it I would; id have more friendships than ive already been blessed with in my offline life

I like to think Ive realized that, whether online or offline, the people you meet and talk with can impact you in the same ways. I used to treat the internet as this place to expel feelings and thoughts I normally couldnt; I was wrong to do that, and I treated some unfairly

Everyone on here, from the Devils subforum to the main boards.. heck, even HFNYR, have been a part of my life and will always remain so. Even if this was my last post...

Reactions: Dialamo

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Reddit sucks. It’s an echo chamber of idiocy. I only lurk there for sports-related stuff but even the hockey subreddit gets political and is a general turn off. Honestly the fantasy football subreddit is my most frequently visited sub.

Nothing compares to this place though, the old school message board is unmatched (especially with our unique cast of characters).

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_9991.jpeg

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Im not too sure really... To be honest, my past handles are a bit of a jumbled blur to me. And yes, sadly, I said handles

If I could go back in time and change it I would; id have more friendships than ive already been blessed with in my offline life

I like to think Ive realized that, whether online or offline, the people you meet and talk with can impact you in the same ways. I used to treat the internet as this place to expel feelings and thoughts I normally couldnt; I was wrong to do that, and I treated some unfairly

Everyone on here, from the Devils subforum to the main boards.. heck, even HFNYR, have been a part of my life and will always remain so. Even if this was my last post...
Welcome back, rangerdoggo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad