Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
As great as Casey has looked at times, I don’t see a way he doesn’t hit a wall and could benefit from some time down. He for sure looks dynamic offensively, but he’s also shooting at 75%. Him and Nemec have also gotten pinned in their own zone more than a handful of times.

Casey has looked better than Nemec, but Nemec deserves a little more benefit of the doubt. There is a good chance he started training camp less than 100%, and still might not be. That said, with the depth this team has, two guys need to come out when Luke and Pesce get back. Nemec and Casey are the obvious choices.
Why? It's Casey's rookie year, and he's still adjusting to the pro game while playing on his off side.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Why? It's Casey's rookie year, and he's still adjusting to the pro game while playing on his off side.

Because almost every rookie, especially defensemen, hit a rookie wall or dip at some point. Even more so with Casey not playing a single professional game before this year.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Because almost every rookie, especially defensemen, hit a rookie wall or dip at some point. Even more so with Casey not playing a single professional game before this year.
If he's only playing 12 mins a night, I think he'll probably be okay.

None of Hughes, Makar, or Fox really hit that wall, and I think Casey could end up in their class, or just behind them.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
If he's only playing 12 mins a night, I think he'll probably be okay.

None of Hughes, Makar, or Fox really hit that wall, and I think Casey could end up in their class, or just behind them.

Yes, but it’s just a numbers thing. Two guys need to come out when Luke and Pesce come back. If Casey need to play a sheltered 12 mins a night, I’m not really sure that role takes precedent over someone who can long longer and tougher mins. Luke is going to bring a similar, but right now more seasoned, dynamic offensive skillset.

I don’t think there is any harm in Casey getting some mins in the AHL, even if it’s not really any fault of his own due to his play. It’s purely because of the depth and numbers.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes, but it’s just a numbers thing. Two guys need to come out when Luke and Pesce come back. If Casey need to play a sheltered 12 mins a night, I’m not really sure that role takes precedent over someone who can long longer and tougher mins. Luke is going to bring a similar, but right now more seasoned, dynamic offensive skillset.

I don’t think there is any harm in Casey getting some mins in the AHL, even if it’s not really any fault of his own due to his play. It’s purely because of the depth and numbers.
Yeah I don't necessarily disagree that with a full complement of dmen, 2 probably come out. I was more taking issue with the suggestion that Nemec deserves more benefit of the doubt than Casey. When Pesce comes back, I would have a hard time sending Casey down before Nemec based on their play and their roles.

Reactions: My3Sons

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Yeah I don't necessarily disagree that with a full complement of dmen, 2 probably come out. I was more taking issue with the suggestion that Nemec deserves more benefit of the doubt than Casey. When Pesce comes back, I would have a hard time sending Casey down before Nemec based on their play and their roles.
Pesce can play PP2 and PK. He averaged over 1 min of PP time last year. He also has played LD - and played it well.

The Nemec vs Casey question is simply a matter of who the Devils want to keep in the lineup. Neither plays a role that's unique.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
You guys are waaaaaaay too worried about the defense, holy f*** it's an embarrassment of riches. There's going to be injuries, fatigue, guys are going to come in and out of the lineup based on performance. We can run 7 D as well, none of this impacts the roster or the ability to send guys up or down. This is a managements wet dream, they'll figure it out.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I really don't care who comes out, they're all playing well, that should be the first thing to care about. I trust Keefe and his staff to make the right choices all year. They've aced every challenge so far in this very young season. Also, the defense playing well also means we don't need to rush Pesce back from his hip or Luke with his arm. Imagine getting those guys back at 100% midway through the year on an already stacked roster. We had "Yohann Auvitu", "Egor Yakolev" and Mirco Mueller play defense on this team for the last decade but we're worried about who'll come out of a stacked D core when time comes lol

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I really don't care who comes out, they're all playing well, that should be the first thing to care about. I trust Keefe and his staff to make the right choices all year. They've aced every challenge so far in this very young season. Also, the defense playing well also means we don't need to rush Pesce back from his hip or Luke with his arm. Imagine getting those guys back at 100% midway through the year on an already stacked roster. We had "Yohann Auvitu", "Egor Yakolev" and Mirco Mueller play defense on this team for the last decade but we're worried about who'll come out of a stacked D core when time comes lol
I care for 2 reasons:

1) I want the team to keep winning
2) Casey is significantly more entertaining to watch than any other Devils dman (aside from maybe Luke)

But yeah, it's pretty outrageous that we even have the luxury of having these conversations.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I care for 2 reasons:

2) Casey is significantly more entertaining to watch than any other Devils dman (aside from maybe Luke)

But yeah, it's pretty outrageous that we even have the luxury of having these conversations.
Well sure, but nobody held a gun to their heads and told them to trade Lovejoy.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I care for 2 reasons:

That's my point, if Casey is playing well, I don't care if someone with a better resume is out. I don't think point 2 should matter at all lol

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That's my point, if Casey is playing well, I don't care if someone with a better resume is out. I don't think point 2 should matter at all lol
Well I watch hockey to be entertained. If we agree that the options are equally likely to result in wins, I'd rather watch the option with the more entertaining players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad