Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
McLeod would not have had those regular season numbers without his inevitable exit from the league happening. He would never have played that way without the axe hanging over his head because of his past. That was "leave it all out there because that's all that's left"-kind of hockey. Along with Zacha, one of the most maximally frustrating picks we ever made.

That and the Oilers almost coming back should tell you that the only time people get their shit together is when opportunity is about to be taken away.
That's an absolutely ridiculous take.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Said at the time of the trade that I was excited for Cotter and he'd play top 9. Glad he earned it pretty much immediately. Was at the game last night. Great to see them get a win, especially with a few key players looking shaky / not playing to their potential yet.

Early season pros:
- bottom 6 has been excellent. 3rd line last night could have had 5 goals if Haula (who still played well) didn't panic in tight to goal
- much better job defensively with active sticks and general positioning
- playing a bit more physical, as expected with the additions of Nose, Cotter, Dillon
- Casey

Early season cons:
- the Jack Hughes fan club better prepare themselves for a brief benching / some minor drama (happens to a lot of young, great players at some point. Isn't end of world). He looks objectively awful. He was responsible for 10+ losses of possession last night alone. He's not just playing bad for a player of his level, he's playing bad as a pro period. Spare me the shoulder excuses. A lot of it is still between the ears. I said in the offseason he needed some tough love to take the next step, so we'll see how he reacts when he gets it.
- The Meier Hughes Bratt electric boogaloo pt 2 endeavor needs to end. It doesn't work. It never worked.
- Hamilton clearly doesn't have the same zip / accuracy on his shot yet. Just needs some time hopefully
- I hope I'm proven wrong, but results aside, I still think Markstrom is an average goalie. Devs massively overpaid. I continue to be mystified how the self proclaimed goalie aficionados on this site can watch him play and not be concerned with: how deep he sits in the crease, his constant over/mishandling of the puck (minor, but annoying), and the constant overshoot of the post when moving laterally. He plays small for his size.
- Palat. Everyone that defended that contract from day 1 should have to wear a scarlet letter

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I like him now that he is here. That said I would still go under 25. Kinda early for your victory lap
I said he COULD pot 25 while playing in the TOP 6. Implying that he has talent. He is already showing his goal scoring abilities in the bottom 6.

You laughed it off as one of the dumbest things you read on here.

Take the L.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
IMG_3616.jpeg

Reactions: Saugus

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Interesting player usage in the early season stats in the form of 5v5 zone starts.

Hughes(Timo as well) is running at a 100% O-zone starts through 4 games. Not only is he not getting many starts in the d-zone, he's not getting many faceoff starts in general. with just 7 offensive zone starts and 18 neutral zone starts. Keefe just does not want him out there for a faceoff. 59 of his shifts have started on the fly.

42 of Nico's shifts have started on a faceoff, with a 10-21-11 breakdown. He only has 34 on the fly shifts.

Haula has 24 in zone starts including 10 in the defensive zone. 37% o-zone starts. 39 on the fly shifts.

Lazar has 18 in zone starts with 10 in the d-zone. 23% o-zone starts. 38 on the fly shifts.

So Keefe is leaning heavily on Nico for faceoffs, which makes sense as he is our best guy. Leaning pretty heavily on the bottom 6 for defensive duties, and is sending Hughes's line out for faceoffs very sparingly, and literally not at all for d-zone shifts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad