Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Just give Casey the Nemec treatment. Send him to AHL and put him in high leverage defensive situations and PK. Get the coaches down there to focus on his defensive game.

His effectiveness at the NHL level will always be limited by his defensive game and improving that aspect will make him a better NHLer.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I really don’t think Foote’s anything. The only reason I care at all is the forward depth is pretty bleak. Halonen’s the only extra I like at all. Kind of hoping they’ll use Casey as an extra up front if need be over other guys

Just give Casey the Nemec treatment. Send him to AHL and put him in high leverage defensive situations and PK. Get the coaches down there to focus on his defensive game.

His effectiveness at the NHL level will always be limited by his defensive game and improving that aspect will make him a better NHLer.

His defensive game really isn’t much of an issue and never has been an issue with his game. Idk why people think it is (well I obviously know the actual reason but like still)

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I really don’t think Foote’s anything. The only reason I care at all is the forward depth is pretty bleak. Halonen’s the only extra I like at all. Kind of hoping they’ll use Casey as an extra up front if need be over other guys

His defensive game really isn’t much of an issue and never has been an issue with his game. Idk why people think it is (well I obviously know the actual reason but like still)

Nemec's defensive game wasn't an issue and never was an issue with his game. Doesn't mean that his year in the AHL wasn't productive. He'll learn more in high leverage situations playing big minutes in the AHL than he will playing a sheltered 12 minutes in the NHL with a decent chunk of that on the PP.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
We have two defenseman on IR that we're all putting into the 23 man roster, why are they sending Foote through waivers? Pesce will be back soon but Luke is not even close. I guess trying to get him through with all the other teams sending guys down.

Say what you want about Foote but Dermatitis sucks and is totally redundant with Dillon and Kovacevic around, just an absolute waste of a spot that will play 4 minutes a game.

Reactions: Bleedred

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Dang, they are playing the caps and hurricanes very early on the road. Didn't realize that. That will tell me a lot about this year's team

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
For those that don't know or remember, we picked up this amazing poster, @Rhodes 81 from the Atlanta Thrashers board after an HF dispersal draft of their message board members when the Thrashers franchise was sold. Now he's naming his children after Devils players, amazing. :nod:

Thanks, now I'm feeling nostalgic again.

Reactions: Rhodes 81 and JK3

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
For those that don't know or remember, we picked up this amazing poster, @Rhodes 81 from the Atlanta Thrashers board after an HF dispersal draft of their message board members when the Thrashers franchise was sold. Now he's naming his children after Devils players, amazing. :nod:
Best waivers acquisition in Devils history

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

@Rhodes 81 was our consensus first round pick. I have no idea who we picked in later rounds (as I recall, there were 2-3), they must have busted.

Not our best draft, but at least we got one solid poster from it. :sarcasm:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Are we gonna claim someone or run a not full roster with Pesce back?

Rn with Pesce back we have
13F
7D
2G

There's an open roster spot and probably a 13th forward needed?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We have two defenseman on IR that we're all putting into the 23 man roster, why are they sending Foote through waivers? Pesce will be back soon but Luke is not even close. I guess trying to get him through with all the other teams sending guys down.

Say what you want about Foote but Dermatitis sucks and is totally redundant with Dillon and Kovacevic around, just an absolute waste of a spot that will play 4 minutes a game.

They're not sending Nemec or Casey down. I suspect they are just going to start with 22 on the roster on Thursday.

MacDermid is absolutely not redundant with Dillon or Kovacevic - Kovacevic is not a fighter. Dillon is, but he's an important defenseman who shouldn't be tasked with dealing with a goon on the other team. I mean, MacDermid is bad, and I wish they could go without him, but I see why they feel like they cannot.

Reactions: JK3

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
It’s funny Casey gets knocked for his D when it’s really not a glaring weakness. He’s small but it’s never really been that poor, just size perception

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I like waiving Foote now. Pelletier is also on waivers - they both are left shot wingers from the 2019 draft (picked consecutively).

Pelletier is basically a ppg player in the AHL. Foote hasn't come close to that. If someone is getting claimed, I think it's more likely Pelletier.

I also think Foote, as a bigger guy, may be a later bloomer. I think he'd be useful to keep around for another year or two. My hope for him is more Steve Bernier than Blake Coleman, though.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
They're not sending Nemec or Casey down. I suspect they are just going to start with 22 on the roster on Thursday.

MacDermid is absolutely not redundant with Dillon or Kovacevic - Kovacevic is not a fighter. Dillon is, but he's an important defenseman who shouldn't be tasked with dealing with a goon on the other team. I mean, MacDermid is bad, and I wish they could go without him, but I see why they feel like they cannot.
Is it really worth having him in the lineup when he's playing 4 minutes? It's a waste of a spot, I'd rather run four solid lines or just go 7 D.

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
a holy day for our franchise!

Reactions: JK3

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Just got through a full watch of both games and man how I have missed Tatar. Fits our team like a glove and just makes plays all over the ice constantly. Should have had several points this weekend.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
@Rhodes 81 was our consensus first round pick. I have no idea who we picked in later rounds (as I recall, there were 2-3), they must have busted.

Not our best draft, but at least we got one solid poster from it. :sarcasm:
None of our later round folks really stuck around IIRC.

Also, people are upset we lost Labanc? We quite literally have no place for him.

Eggtimers

Oct 5, 2024
Our roster spots are pretty much spoken for. Claiming Pelletier would mean waiving somebody like Foote which seems like a lateral move. For better or worse, MacDermid has a spot to get dressed in certain games. Sounded like the Devils offered Labanc the same deal that he signed with Columbus, but Fitz indicated to Labanc that he would start the season in the AHL.

Not sure if you meant to claim Pelletier and then try to sneak him down to the AHL like Vegas did with Grigori Denisenko last year.

Edit: off the top of my head, waiver priority for October is based on last year’s standings. So the Devils would be 10th. After November it’s based on points percentage. Also it’s not like a fantasy league where if you put in a claim and then you’re now at the end of the line for priority.
Thanks for the waiver info . I wasn’t sure of the date when it switches from last seasons priority to current

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad