Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Our Goaltending this season is going to be good because both Markstrom and Allen are going to ignore whatever stupid "advice" Rogalski gives them.
I don't buy into the "rogalski sucks" narrative.......

but if he is the problem, then you have a point that two grizzled vet's will ignore anything stupid he says.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I feel like merely by dint of age, almost everyone that Lou re-acquired was worse in their second go-around with the Devils (curious if anyone can think of counterexamples). Stefan Noesen feels like he might be better - he's obviously better than his 2018-19 but that was a disastrous, injury-filled year, but through 2 games he looks better than his peak in 2017-18.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Glad we won the first 2 games to kick the season off overseas. Was cool to see Jagr and Elias get to drop the puck for the opening face off. Wish I went out there to see the games live !

There was alot to like about this current Devils team these first 2 games. The new guys (Dillon , Cotter , Noesen , Kovacevic , Casey & Markstrok) really shined at times. This team really needed some added depth to help compliment our core guys and Fitzgerald targeted the right guys it seems. I really love Dillon's game , it's something we have lacked on defense for awhile. I would think if Okhotiuk wasn't traded and panned out a bit more that he could of been a player of that ilk. Cotter seems like a guy who will be able to bounce around to any of the 4 forward lines and not look out of place.
Dillon may have been one of the best off season signings. He may not put up many points, but he's exactly the character guy that good teams need. We're going to miss him terribly in Wpg.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who is the goaltender coach in Vancouver ? I can’t remember his name but he is someone I want to poach off of them . The man is incredibly good
Ian Clark.

From what I’ve seen it says he “stepped aside to take new role with team” in Vancouver. Not sure if he was forced to do that or just didn’t wanna do the full time day to day duties anymore.

The last goalie coach we hired who had previously been in Vancouver seemed to work out pretty well. Not sure why he was fired, other than Marty/Clemmensen/Fitz wanted to hire their own goalie coach for their new regime, rather than leave Shero’s still in place.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Ian Clark.

From what I’ve seen it says he “stepped aside to take new role with team” in Vancouver. Not sure if he was forced to do that or just didn’t wanna do the full time day to day duties anymore.

The last goalie coach we hired who had previously been in Vancouver seemed to work out pretty well. Not sure why he was fired, other than Marty/Clemmensen/Fitz wanted to hire their own goalie coach for their new regime, rather than leave Shero’s still in place.

We were reported to be linked to him recently so hey maybe

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
couldn’t be happier with these two wins honestly.

goaltending is good but the best part was us covering the middle and limiting second chances. something that was sorely missing last year.

in dillon we have someone that can lay a punishing open ice hit and we haven’t had that in a while. it’s a small but important element to be able to intimidate your opponent and this team has been way too soft.

cotter feels like the coleman replacement we’ve all wanted. holtz who?

the aggressive pk is going to result in a lot of goals for us. loving bratt on there.

and all of the other lines look good so i’m willing to give jack and timo a chance to gel - looked like it was starting to come together in the third and it feels like the kind of line where if they do get in a groove then they’ll dominant. as long as they don’t get hemmed in the d zone all the time 😬

anyway it’s just two games but having a sound team defensive strategy with full buy in really raises the floor for this team

Share your optimism and agree with most of your points.

Looking forward to see how this approach works against a high end talent team like the Leafs.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
They each played a good game. How many times last season did the team get good back to back games from two different goalies?
I dont remember it at least one in a full season. And we had a lot of back to backs.

Marty's agenda is to make all other goalies suck here so he stands as the one good Devils goalie (I love you Cory bby)
I believe its Broduer who changed his training routine to make his injuries happened much more. (no I dont but its fun to think that way Marty is as very selfish)

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ian Clark.

They said he stepped down a few years ago because he "couldn't do what he needed to do on the ice" or something like that. Made it sound like he was having some physical problems and had to stay in the front office.

-edit-

The Canucks goalie guru told the team this summer he was unable to work on-ice every day as he had done in the past, due to wear-and-tear on the 58-year-old’s body. But instead of finding a new goalie coach and allowing Clark to keep his title, like like the New York Rangers did with Benoit Allaire, Clark was demoted from director of goaltending to goalie scout in August.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
The 3-1 goal yesterday is such a good example of our new breakout.

Look at Bratt below the goal line helping out Hamilton and Dillon and Hughes getting into position for a quick option

IMG_5376.png

Bratt gets it to Jack albeit with some help from a bit of a weird bounce off the boards. Bratt sees things are good and burns the zone. Hamilton is a quick pass option for Jack here if he wants it. That would then open up a pass to Meier.

IMG_5377.png

But Jack being the magician he is decides to fake out #20 of Buffalo and buy time for Bratt to burn the Sabres D with his elite speed. And of course Jack finds Bratt in stride which results in the Meier goal.

IMG_5378.png

Fun to watch this in the highlights. A big change to our breakout. Requires everyone to chip in to make it work. No more dmen getting screwed by having little nearby support and resulting in egregious turnovers.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
No more dmen getting screwed by having little nearby support and resulting in egregious turnovers.
Which, a little ironically, is how the Devils score their first goal in game 1. Defenseman has the puck in the corner and is under pressure, only 2 options are a guy standing still at the half board under pressure or some guys way out at mid ice with Devils inbetween. A real no win situation for the defenseman.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad