Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
$6x6 or $6x7

That's fair and taxed for the off year
I think at that AAV the team woukd want the seven years or 8 years. I don’t think the $2 mil difference woukd be the hold up. They could force fit that deal if it was available. Don’t downplay the hard ass nature of Mercer’s agent. He’s more or less the Boras on NHL agents.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Palat was a proven winning player that is a leader, that was signed as an unrestricted free agent. He was signed to bring leadership. Was he overpaid? Surely.

I am not sure what in the hell Palat has to do with signing a player coming off a bad year off the last year of his ELC?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I'm having a hard time understanding this...

Let's say Mercer is Not a core player and let's say he is a good complimentary player.... So play hard ball with him? Shave as much off his contract as possible....or you don't give 6/7 years to a 23 year old complimentary player?

Now explain Palat's contract.
Leverage.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You're mistaken we were talking about paramalat

View attachment 906117
I like My Parmalat in a bag

Milk-Bag.png

My3Sons

Sponsor
No they could force fit that deal in...that's what I've been trying to say for 3 pages....not without going with zero cushion this year and jeopardizing Luke's next deal they couldn't.

They never intended to give Mercer a long term deal
I disagree. If they wanted to they could force it. Send down MacDermid and they have over $6 mil. Send down DeSimone and Foote and they are easily over $7 mil per. It’s not ideal but they could do it if they wanted to. Now maybe they never intended to give him a long term deal but to say they couldn’t even now is offset by the math. As for their reasoning I don’t think what has been discussed here is necessarily reflective of anything thr team has stated. I haven’t heard any quotes from the team about proving it or betting on himself etc. The only time it’s come up is here among posters. You are inferring from the lack of perceived cap space but without all the backstory it’s hard to know what was said behind closed doors and in that context I will say never underestimate an arrogant agent’s ability to make it about them and “winning”. Even at the expense of their clients. I’d be inclined to blame that dynamic more than anything the team may or may not have done.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Thy don't have the space...Give Dawson 6 and they have zero cushion for roster movement, trades or bonuses...any bonuses would have to be deferred to next season. That's just part one...

Part 2 is Luke's contract.

They only have 19.45M available for next season right now. If you were to give Dawson 6 and Luke 9. There is only 4 million in cap space remaining, not counting any potential carry over bonuses and with Cotter and Nemec needing new deals for 2026-27 as well as filling in extra pieces like potentially Haula and Bastian....it does work.

Call Luke's contract 8 and still doesn't work. It can't work.
Should probably just hope Nemec and Luke have down years so Mercer can get paid.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What's super funny is Brisson is not only Dawson's agent he's Luke's too (and Jack's)

My3Sons

Sponsor
Brisson isn't answering to anyone I would imagine...not with over a billion dollars in clientele.
He won’t unless there is a conflict . If Brisson does something Jim Hughes doesn’t want we will see the brothers change agents. Their next deals will be worth close to $300 million and at standard agent rate Jim can live quite well off that if he has to take them elsewhere.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He won’t unless there is a conflict . If Brisson does something Jim Hughes doesn’t want we will see the brothers change agents. Their next deals will be worth close to $300 million and at standard agent rate Jim can live quite well off that if he has to take them elsewhere.
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. I hope Mercer doesn't get screwed but it really seems inevitable to me.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Arbitration favors the player. He at least gets market value. It’s why those always settle in today’s world.
That's kind of funny to me...that getting market value is considered advantage to the player.... imagine working in an industry where you hope the day comes to get "market value"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad