Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
remember Severson didn't sign his contract til like the day before training camp started back 7-8 years ago.
And Zacha, which is when Shero made the f***ing Brampton contract I think the day before.

Bratt also signed during camp of 2021-2022. Under normal circumstances I’m sure he would have made it by opening night, but he had to quarantine for two weeks (or however many days) due to international travel.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Would really like Mercer's deal to get done soon. He's a very useful player to have and his down year doesn't worry me one bit. I'd go long term but for now I understand if that's not necessarily possible.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
too many matinee games....in fact, 15 too many

Screen Shot 2024-09-06 at 12.26.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-09-06 at 12.27.21 PM.png

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He isn’t the only one kid without the deal. He will be fine.

He won't be fine.

They don't have enough space to sign him to a fair long term deal right now

A bridge deal is even worse for him putting him in a potential situation of needing a new deal during or after Luke and Nemec take a significant portion of a very small pie... This is not going to work out well for him.

Edit: and depending on the cap cushion they are looking for, I don't think they even have enough to pay a fair bridge deal.... he's worth more than 3&1/2.... Fitz is trying to pay 2018/2019 prices in this instance.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He won't be fine.

A bridge deal is even worse for him putting him in a potential situation of needing a new deal during or after Luke and Nemec take a significant portion of a very small pie... This is not going to work out well for him.

Edit: and depending on the cap cushion they are looking for, I don't think they even have enough to pay a fair bridge deal.... he's worth more than 3&1/2.... Fitz is trying to pay 2018/2019 prices in this instance.
Cap will rise. He isn’t high profile player. He will not achieve big salary. He can easily go through the path of Bratt and even than most likely it will be hard for him to achieve Bratts level money because he isn’t as talented. And even if he will, it will happen after three years. They can trade him or sign him and pay check will not be really huge, he isn’t future Nico or Jack, Devils can save nothing out of long term deal with him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Cap will rise. He isn’t high profile player. He will not achieve big salary. He can easily go through the path of Bratt and even than most likely it will be hard for him to achieve Bratts level money because he isn’t as talented. And even if he will, it will happen after three years. They can trade him or sign him and pay check will not be really huge, he isn’t future Nico or Jack, Devils can save nothing out of long term deal with him.
No way would I let my client do 3 years under these circumstances...take a cheap contract for 3 years after a 40+ and a 50+ point season on his ELC?

Mercer doesn't owe anyone a discount for last season..

You gotta be nuts to take 3 years less than 4 average from Mercer's perspective.

Regardless of the amount, I doubt we'll see 3 years. The Devils don't have the space for what it would take for 3 years. ...at least not the space that leaves any flexibility.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
He won't be fine.

Whats a fair deal for someone that just put up 42 point in 82 games?

Its a difficult deal because he had a down year. If he put up 60 in 82 last year, he'd already have a $7m deal signed. Last year he didn't earn that contract.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
No way would I let my client do 3 years under these circumstances...take a cheap contract for 3 years after a 40+ and a 50+ point season on his ELC?

Mercer doesn't owe anyone a discount for last season..

You gotta be nuts to take 3 years less than 4 average from Mercer's perspective.

Regardless of the amount, I doubt we'll see 3 years. The Devils don't have the space for what it would take for 3 years. ...at least not the space that leaves any flexibility.
Why three years deal? One year deal and two years deal, or just two years deal, or two years and one year like Bratt did. We already saw it.

Now Mercer most likely asking something around six or even more million s. He isn’t there. But this is how market looks. And I believe after two three years he will not achieve more than analog of today 6-7 mil. He isn’t driver or playmaker. He is good but complimentary player. There are no need to hurry with him. Especially after 22 goals and 35 points.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Why three years deal? One year deal and two years deal, or just two years deal, or two years and one year like Bratt did. We already saw it.

Now Mercer most likely asking something around six or even more million s. He isn’t there. But this is how market looks. And I believe after two three years he will not achieve more than analog of today 6-7 mil. He isn’t driver or playmaker. He is good but complimentary player. There are no need to hurry with him. Especially after 22 goals and 35 points.
Yeah, two years is what it's going to most likely be...my guess is 2 years 3.5 per.

Reactions: Guadana

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In three years Palat is done, Noesen is done, Haula in two. It's possible to bridge him without really hurting anything. There's no reason to give him a max term deal now. If they did they'd have to move someone now and that would be tricky. Kicking the can down the road makes sense.
It makes perfect sense for the Devils...not so much for Dawson.

They can't afford a max deal now so I doubt that's even a discussion point.

Also Haula, Noesen Palat don't come close to what Luke and Nemec are going to get combined. Those two could be 15 or more million... maybe a lot more.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
mercer was absolute chickendick last year, so he lost some leverage. if they struggle to get him signed, it'll make the tatar signing even stranger than it always was. i'm confident they'll get something done, a bridge sounds right.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Love Dawson but the bridge is the right move for him and the team.

remember Severson didn't sign his contract til like the day before training camp started back 7-8 years ago.

f***ing hell, I was in an Econ class in college when I saw that noti. Just opened up a memory that I didn't think I had :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Whaddagoal

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Love Dawson but the bridge is the right move
It's not the "right" move, it's the only move. They simply don't have enough space to sign him to a long term deal.

And I don't believe a short term deal is right for him at all. The landscape will be vastly different after Luke signs a massive deal that we all know is coming.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It's not the "right" move, it's the only move. They simply don't have enough space to sign him to a long term deal.

And I don't believe a short term deal is right for him at all. The landscape will be vastly different after Luke signs a massive deal that we all know is coming.

I don't consider Mercer a bonafide core guy, I love him as a player but if the Devils lose him via UFA whenever that happens for Mercer or move from him via trade, it's not the end of the world and where we differ. This core is already locked long term between Meier Jack Nico and Bratt up front. And no it's 100% right move, Mercer isn't going to sign long term after the year he had at a cheaper amount and the Devils aren't going to overpay him right now after his last year. If Mercer signs a bridge and goes insane, it's a problem in the future but we're going to be a monster of a team if that happens which is obviously a win

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

who cares what’s right for him? lol…he’s under team control, he’ll still get to be a millionaire. we improved the team around him immensely, so there’s less pie to go around. them’s the breaks.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
who cares what’s right for him? lol…he’s under team control, he’ll still get to be a millionaire. we improved the team around him immensely, so there’s less pie to go around. them’s the breaks.

Right and if Mercer has a tremendous year, then we're going to be a monster team. Like what's the argument here? :laugh:

Reactions: MartyOwns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad