Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Weren't there some dynamics at play with Schneider? I recall some reporting that Brodeur struggled to accept the backup role with NJ? In retrospect it obviously makes sense that the team should have kept Brodeur for as long as it took to get him to 700.

thats on marty then if he wasn't willing to take a back seat. wonder how much lou was involved in the choice.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think you're going to be disappointed then.
Fitz and this current ownership group are notorious for their ‘collaborative’ approach with everyone having a voice, they dumped Shero cause he wanted to be more old school and failed. I don’t think any advisor is going to have an outsized presence in the room, at least in comparison to Fitz or Marty perhaps.

Reactions: Bleedred

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think you're going to be disappointed then.

Nah. He has an advisor role in an organization with a staff and roster that is well-established. I don't see what impact he'll have that will actually affect the on-ice product. I still firmly believe Kate Madigan will be promoted sooner than later from assistant GM to GM sooner than later when Fitz assumes simply the President role full time. That is assuming that things don't go south this season.

As I said, this feels more like a favor from Fitz to someone he likely respects from having worked together in years past. Nothing uncommon in this league by any means, for better or worse.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I hate the old boys club. Hate it. It's so prevalent all over society, not just the NHL. It's always who you know. As long as you have connections you can be as incompetent as you want. He better have 0 say. But this is the kind of move that really makes me question Fitz judgement.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Once again, it's quite common for former GM's who have washed out in that role to be hired by other teams in the exact same role Fletcher has with us. If he had only had just one GM job in the league and not two already, I would think there's a decent chance he's a candidate for the permanent GM job.

Like if he were never hired by Philly and was still here when Shero was fired, he may have been favored as the new GM over Fitz.

But it's totally different now. He's basically a JAG.

Chiarelli has this role in St. Louis, Bergevin has this role or something similar in Los Angeles. Doug Wilson has this role or something similar in Pittsburgh. Good ole' Ray Shero himself has this role or something like it in Minnesota.

I'd honestly like to know the last time one of these guys wound up actually becoming the perma GM for the team they were working for. And I'm talking someone that had been a GM in the league before that. I'm sure it's happened, but it doesn't really happen with much frequency.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's very easy and very common for a two time GM (or even one time GM) in the league to get a job with another team as some advisor after they've been GM somewhere else.

It's much harder and much less common for the two time GM to actually become a three time GM.

I would be willing to bet that a decent percentage of guys who have been an NHL general manager and lost that GM job in the last 4 or 5 years are now working for another NHL team in a role similar to that of Fletcher. I just named 4 of them in my last post.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I randomly associate Fletcher with this quote from nearly 30 years ago regarding the inaugural draft lottery:

"Not being pessimistic, I think you can say we'll pick 10th," said Chuck Fletcher, the Panthers' assistant general manager. "The way they set it up, they're trying to prevent the Orlando situation from happening in the NHL, which is probably fair."

Orlando had back-to-back magical moments in winning the NBA lottery and picking Shaquille O'Neal and Anfernee Hardaway. Now they're a win away from their first NBA Finals appearance.

One of my favorite random anecdotes was that Shaq/Penny affected the NHL Draft from 1995-2012. Orlando had a 1 in 66 chance of winning the 1993 Draft lottery and it happened. In the moment in 1995, it seemed like the lottery had handed Orlando a dynasty.

I think the story goes that Ottawa's owner was drunk and bragged to a local reporter about tanking the last few games of the season to ensure they had the #1 pick in the 1993 Draft. So the NHL made sure to include a draft lottery with the 1995 CBA. But they managed not to figure out the procedure until the GM meetings in May 1995 after the season was already over, so a few clubs naturally had a conflict of interest with the rules. In the end, the bland compromise was heavily weighted odds for the worst teams and they only drew one winner with the winner being limited to jumping up a maximum of four spots.

0z9a6yasyyn71.jpg

So if it weren't for Shaq........Chicago could have had the #1 pick in 1999 after winning that lottery. The Sedins might have been broken up or been Blackhawks instead of Canucks. Devils could have had the #1 pick in 2011 instead of #4.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I hate the old boys club. Hate it. It's so prevalent all over society, not just the NHL. It's always who you know. As long as you have connections you can be as incompetent as you want. He better have 0 say. But this is the kind of move that really makes me question Fitz judgement.

There’s nothing this move does that makes me question Fitz’s judgment. I get it, the old boys club sucks, but there’s nothing that deters me here from thinking anything has changed in the structure of the front office. It hasn’t. Fitz, Marty, Madigan and MacKinnon are the core group of decision makers there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My condolences.

Fletcher is a POS

Love the young talent you guys have assembled.
We know that

And the people at the top likely know that also.

These idiot GM's that get fired from one or two places are scattered all over the league in different organizations working the same role that we just hired Fletcher in. I absolutely do not think he's any real threat to be the GM here ever.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
We know that

These idiot GM's that get fired from one or two places are scattered all over the league in different organizations working the same role that we just hired Fletcher in. I absolutely do not think he's any real threat to be the GM here ever.

Like Peter Chiarelli :laugh:

Reactions: Bleedred

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
We know that

Clearly they dont know it though, Bleed; he wouldnt have been hired lol

Im sure hes not some awful person but the possibility that now lingers kind of sucks. I would not have done this

And now I definitely want Jay Woodcroft for the staff; i dont care how many assistants we have, clearly we can add positions! Give him Associate and be an over-arching figure; help him grow his skillset on all fronts and we get an extra voice

Clearly the staff that is employed must be okay with a team-speak environment, since it certainly trickles down

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Clearly they dont know it though, Bleed; he wouldnt have been hired lol

Im sure hes not some awful person but the possibility that now lingers kind of sucks. I would not have done this

And now I definitely want Jay Woodcroft for the staff; i dont care how many assistants we have, clearly we can add positions! Give him Associate and be an over-arching figure; help him grow his skillset on all fronts and we get an extra voice

Clearly the staff that is employed must be okay with a team-speak environment, since it certainly trickles down
None of those other guys have become GM. Shero has been in this role in Minnesota for several years now, Bergevin in LA for 2 (let's see if he's promoted to replace Rob Blake soon enough), Doug Wilson is in Pittsburgh now.

The most famous is Pete Chiarelli being in St. Louis the last 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1