Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
they will probably evolve into playing longer into their careers and goalies going to the open market if they are good enough can latch onto another team whos window is opening kinda like fluery did with the knights

I feel the opposite. All current goalies are butterfly goalies, which creates a lot of strain on hips and knees. I think it would be hard for someone to have the longevity of Marty with his hybrid style.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Fluery has basically followed the blueprint you’re suggesting and still 130 wins at his 39-40 year old season.

Fluery averaged 28 wins a season, so he would need about 4.5 more seasons to get to the record; and that’s assuming his pace isn’t way lower than average, which it is.

So in Fluery we have a goalie that came close to a perfect theoretical run and he’s going to fall seasons short of getting there. Seems very tough.

exactly and the fact that he was able to follow that route just proves someone else will come along and do the same getting closer and closer maybe instead of going to a team like the hawks he goes to a better team. patrick roy did the similar thing going from a good habs team to an even better avs team but just different times back then. i dunno but you factor in the loss time from labor disputes for him and covid hes probably a lot closer to 600 today. i think too with expansion coming there will be a place for goalies on the decline to squeak out a few more wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Spencer Knight could have had a half decent shot if he had taken over for Bob like intended. add another 45 ish wins from 22-23/23-24 and he'd be at 95 heading into his age 23 season, which at this point is when most goalies are getting started.

Still would have been an incredible longshot but he would have had the age to get that runway.

thats a good call there and same with the askarov kid but the preds window is on the down side i think unlike the panthers.

theres always going to be elite prospects and teams windows opening you get them together at the same time it will happen.

i really dont think you will ever see a goalie win as much with 1 team as marty that will be next to impossible.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
thats a good call there and same with the askarov kid but the preds window is on the down side i think unlike the panthers.

theres always going to be elite prospects and teams windows opening you get them together at the same time it will happen.

i really dont think you will ever see a goalie win as much with 1 team as marty that will be next to impossible.
Askarov is 22 now and still looking years away from a starters gig. Even compared to knight now he'd have to win 50 games next year to catch up. His chance has passed imo

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
exactly and the fact that he was able to follow that route just proves someone else will come along and do the same getting closer and closer maybe instead of going to a team like the hawks he goes to a better team. patrick roy did the similar thing going from a good habs team to an even better avs team but just different times back then. i dunno but you factor in the loss time from labor disputes for him and covid hes probably a lot closer to 600 today. i think too with expansion coming there will be a place for goalies on the decline to squeak out a few more wins.
I’m still going to opposite, Fluery is a goalie who did everything right and is still almost 20% away from the record.

For the goals records, that would mean being about 170 goals behind Gretzky and saying they’re pretty close.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’m still going to opposite, Fluery is a goalie who did everything right and is still almost 20% away from the record.

For the goals records, that would mean being about 170 goals behind Gretzky and saying they’re pretty close.

that definitely is close for a goalie record imo

lot more has to happen for you to win a game then to score a goal. you dont even control the ability to win the game and you play less games a year then a positional player. so to me 20% is super close.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
honestly where the franchise stood at that point they should've just let him play it out for 700. team wasn't going anywhere anyway would've only helped the bottoming out for draft status.
Weren't there some dynamics at play with Schneider? I recall some reporting that Brodeur struggled to accept the backup role with NJ? In retrospect it obviously makes sense that the team should have kept Brodeur for as long as it took to get him to 700.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
that definitely is close for a goalie record imo

lot more has to happen for you to win a game then to score a goal. you dont even control the ability to win the game and you play less games a year then a positional player. so to me 20% is super close.
That 20%, using his last 5 years average for wins, represents him having to play into 6 more seasons and maintain that average the entire time.

Another way to view is Fluery has been in the league 20 years, so 20% of his career would be an additional 4 seasons.

20% is pretty massive, whether we are talking goals or wins. 20% is always 20%, it’s almost self adjusting, it means you need to do 1/5 more than you did.

The second closest player of all time, who had an almost perfect career, still is missing many multiple seasons of results to catch up. To me, that’s a huge gap.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I will not say it’s impossible to beat Brodeur records, but they’re really close to impossible. Brodeur has 8 40+ win seasons, and also has a 39 win season and 2 38 win seasons. No other goalie has more than 3 40 win seasons. Even if there was a goalie who won at a similar or better pace than Brodeur, they would still need to come close to his 1266 starts. Brodeur is 222 starts ahead of second place Luongo. That’s like 5 years of starts for a modern goalie.

A guy like MAF did follow the best possible path to touch Brodeur numbers and he’ll still fall short by a lot. Brodeur had 45 wins in his 16th season in the league, MAF maf career high is 42 wins in his 8th season and never hit 40 again. It’s really hard to wrap my head around a situation where brodeurs records fall, and if they do it’s not a goalie in the league right now or even drafted or likely not even born yet.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don't see Marty's records ever falling. From 95-96 to 2009-2010, he played in less than 70 games just twice. Once when he played 67 and the other when he got hurt in 08-09 and played in just 31. A goalie hasn't played 70+ games in a season since 2016-2017 (Cam Talbot) and only 4 have done it since 2013-2014 (Talbot, Holtby, Quick, Rask)

His longevity and number of games played will be impossible for nearly any goalie playing in this day and age to achieve.

Bobrovsky had been considered one of the elite goalies of the last decade, he is just shy of 400 wins now. Andrei Vasilevskiy isn't even halfway to Marty's totals. Same with Connor Hellebuyck.

It'll take a freak show of a goalie to come in and play close to the same career path that Marty did to even stand a chance. Goalies don't do that these days, and I have a tough time imagining it'll change.

Happy to see Greene back in the fold. Seems like a good guy who really understands hockey.

I've definitely seen him during games hanging in the box with Fitz and Marty, so this seems like they finally made his hiring official. Love that him and Trav both came back to sign and retire as Devils, both are gems. I think Trav is coaching locally for the youth Colonials? Cool to see.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Thats f***ing terrible - the fact that he was let anywhere near the organization is now a stink I cant figure out

The team has yet to name an independent GM and this is not a good look toward that. For a team that is all about 'group-think' having one man as the two biggest positions makes no sense; its inevitable they change that

My money is on this f***ing idiot becoming our GM, whether thats just as a face or not; if were going the bullshit Carolina route of having a mouthpiece as GM, Id rather go to Kate Madegan as at least thats a change of pace for the team and the league

Chuck Fletcher employed by the New Jersey Devils - terrible day for the org

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
For those wondering, since connections are always something.

Fletcher was assistant GM with the Panthers, who Fitz was chosen by in the expansion draft. They also worked together in Pittsburgh when Fletcher was assistant GM under Shero. During that time, Fitz was director of player development. He was eventually promoted to assistant GM when Fletcher got hired by the Wild as the GM.

I don't see it as a big deal.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
For those wondering, since connections are always something.

Fletcher was assistant GM with the Panthers, who Fitz was chosen by in the expansion draft. They also worked together in Pittsburgh when Fletcher was assistant GM under Shero. During that time, Fitz was director of player development. He was eventually promoted to assistant GM when Fletcher got hired by the Wild as the GM.

I don't see it as a big deal.
The fact that he has any say toward this team is a big deal; our shit didnt stink, why did we feel the need to change that?

It’s an advisory position, not AGM or anything. Not sure it’s a big deal tbh.
Those positions arent just money-laundering like many want to believe; they have actual say, hence hes advisor to three roles - not just general manager

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
…chuck fletcher? i really don’t want this assclown anywhere near the team.
yeah theres zero positive spin to this

At best its just a position to an old friend of Fitz so he can get back into the game in a few years

At worst its having him in the back pocket in case Madegan cant or wont work as GM (since shes so young)

Either way his voice will be heard - to suggest it wont would not only be naive but ignorant to the senior advisor role weve seen in many teams' past

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There are a lot of extremely incompetent men in hockey who keep getting jobs solely because they have the right friends. Every team has a couple of these guys.

Sucks to see that name in the organization but this is nothing more than Fitz giving his unemployed friend a paycheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00