Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

good old wilf paiement always a fan favorite!

THE ATHLETIC Sports News gave the NJ Devils the 2nd best Off-Season Improvement grade in the NHL, 2ND behind Chicago. CHICAGO got a +51 with $26M added in salary. While the NJ Devils got a +38 with $11M added in Salary.

They speak well about the Devils being a solid playoff team primarily because of the goalie improvement. They are positive that the defensemen are a good addition and make our defense stronger. The offensive improvements are around the edges in the bottom 6 and bring more substance than what was lost.

Nice write up for the work done by our GM Fitzgerald and his team.

two things need to happen this year for us to do some damage

goalies have to make timely saves no more soft goals that deflate the team

then most importantly jack has to stay healthy if he misses time 15+ games its going to suck the life out of the team

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not crazy about what Fitz added as far as forwards go... don't completely hate it, just seems more like depth character additions than essential pieces...after the dust settles it's hard not to ask who replaces Toffoli as a goal scoring wing for the top 6? It seems like the most important forward hole to fill was left empty to me

Love what he did with the Defense...love everything about it and drafting Silayev right before FA made it all the more sweet.

And I'm not thrilled with what we paid for a 35 year old goaltender...if he stays healthy and gives us more than 90 games over the next two years, it's not terrible...but I also think it's a huge gamble banking on a 35/36 year old staying healthy enough to play 45 games or more a season over the next two years....this one is a dice roll with a TBD label.

That's how I see the off season.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One of these...

With these pads...

View attachment 894332

I would pay way too much for.

5235e206a4eb5b40bb879c65f4f91e9f.jpg

convert

I'm a Heaton 10 guy myself. I wish I could justify having some custom CCM pads made with the Heaton 10 graphic like a few goalies had done in recent years.

heaton4.jpg

I picked up a cheap pair of Heaton IVs that have been collecting dust in my garage. I could have sworn I had a (improperly sized) pair of the Heaton VIs when I first started playing beer league.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I'm not crazy about what Fitz added as far as forwards go... don't completely hate it, just seems more like depth character additions than essential pieces...after the dust settles it's hard not to ask who replaces Toffoli as a goal scoring wing for the top 6? It's seems like the most important forward hole to fill was left empty to me

Love what he did with the Defense...love everything about it and drafting Silayev right before FA made it all the more sweet.

And I'm not thrilled with what we paid for a 35 year old goaltender...if he stays healthy and gives us more than 90 games over the next two years, it's not terrible...but I also think it's a huge gamble banking on a 35/36 year old staying healthy enough to play 45 games or more a season over the next two years....this one is a dice roll with a TBD label.

I'm with you on all of this but with a little more optimism up front just because it's something that can be addressed at the deadline. We paid Jack, Nico, Meier, and Bratt to do the heavy lifting, so let them do it. The organization has plenty of assets to bolster the top 6 (really middle 6 scoring punch) at the deadline.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Just had a random flashback to the Rolston/Claude trade. At the time, I was puzzled by the numbers that Rolston had in his limited time with Colorado before being included in the Ray Bourque trade. Rolston put up 18 points in 50 games as an Av. I always assumed that he played wing with either Sakic or Forsberg, but they ended up mostly using him as a 3rd line center and Rolston had worse linemates than he had in New Jersey. Somewhat ironic since he complained about his role on the Devils when the trade happened.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
good old wilf paiement always a fan favorite!

two things need to happen this year for us to do some damage

goalies have to make timely saves no more soft goals that deflate the team

then most importantly jack has to stay healthy if he misses time 15+ games its going to suck the life out of the team
You make some valid points. Let me say that the goalie situation has to be much better than last year or they will perform the same as last season and are done, Fitzgerald will be fired and the players will be traded. You have to agree that the goalies are better. I hope you agree that with the players add to the defense that the defense is going to be better. Therefore we should have fewer goals against on paper. I think that Fitz knows what happened to the team when Jack went out. IMO the team relied on Jack too much and I think part of that problem was Coach Ruff. So I believe that coach Sheldon Keefe will have an offensive strategy that doesn't depend on Jack exclusively, that is more deversed. I believe he will have 3 lines of offense, not one person. Go Devils

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
And this was why I didn’t really care much about CapFriendly going away. CapFriendly was great but we’ve been through this thing multiple times already. There’s always a replacement that pops up. Really happy there’s a CapFriendly clone to use rather than PuckPedia. I’m really not a fan of the PuckPedia layouts. This is still really barebones and needs work but I imagine it'll get better

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not crazy about what Fitz added as far as forwards go... don't completely hate it, just seems more like depth character additions than essential pieces...after the dust settles it's hard not to ask who replaces Toffoli as a goal scoring wing for the top 6? It seems like the most important forward hole to fill was left empty to me

Fitzgerald gave up a lot to be a lot better next season. He knows he gave up a lot, he's a very good GM. But yes the Devils will certainly be a lot better next season.

Does NJ still have 5 legit top 6 forwards instead of 6? Yes. But this is not only not an impediment for a team for whom scoring is not the primary problem, but also something which can be addressed at the deadline if the Devils, as expected, are in contention.

As for Markstrom, if he gives the Devils even average goaltending? Well, that's a huge improvement. The Devils with average goaltending may have made the playoffs last year.

Most importantly, the blueline might be the best in the division next year. This is huge. It's got a great mix of player-types and different talents, it's got size and speed.

I'm extremely optimistic.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
With the forwards, I think it's a safe bet to make that you will get a legitimate top 6 forward output from one of Palat and Mercer. That just leaves 1 spot by committee by the other one, Tatar, Noesen, and maybe Cotter on occasion. It's not great depth if one of the top 4 goes down, but it's good enough to get to the deadline.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
With the forwards, I think it's a safe bet to make that you will get a legitimate top 6 forward output from one of Palat and Mercer. That just leaves 1 spot by committee by the other one, Tatar, Noesen, and maybe Cotter on occasion. It's not great depth if one of the top 4 goes down, but it's good enough to get to the deadline.

I see no reason to believe Palat’s giving you that after 2 years of being nowhere near legit top 6 production. I think you’re really just looking at Mercer and a really outside shot at Tatar. Likely just Mercer and then hope the stars stay healthy and carry you. Also hope you get some committee

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I could see Tatar ending up in the top 6 and I don't hate it.
I don't hate it at all. Gives us some good options for the 3rd line. Palat - Haula - Noesen has some potential as a 3rd line. Something like:

Tatar - Hischier - Mercer
Meier - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Haula - Noesen
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian

I know Meier worked better with Nico than with Jack, but I think they'll give a shot to the Tatar - Nico - Mercer line that worked so well 2 years ago. If not, switch Tatar and Meier:

Meier - Hischier - Mercer
Tatar - Hughes - Bratt

Either way, that's a pretty good Top 6 imo.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't hate it at all. Gives us some good options for the 3rd line. Palat - Haula - Noesen has some potential as a 3rd line. Something like:

Tatar - Hischier - Mercer
Meier - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Haula - Noesen
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian

I know Meier worked better with Nico than with Jack, but I think they'll give a shot to the Tatar - Nico - Mercer line that worked so well 2 years ago. If not, switch Tatar and Meier:

Meier - Hischier - Mercer
Tatar - Hughes - Bratt

Either way, that's a pretty good Top 6 imo.
I know it probably had a lot to do with Ruff's departure but isn't Meier a ton better on the right side?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I know it probably had a lot to do with Ruff's departure but isn't Meier a ton better on the right side?
He ended the year on the left side and had good results, so I went with the assumption he'd start there! A lot of questions with the line combinations, excited to see what happens.

If they play Meier at RW though, it complicates things, it's also why I think it might not happen. Can Mercer play left wing? Cause if not Palat probably has to slot into the top 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He ended the year on the left side and had good results, so I went with the assumption he'd start there! A lot of questions with the line combinations, excited to see what happens.

If they play Meier at RW though, it complicates things, it's also why I think it might not happen. Can Mercer play left wing? Cause if not Palat probably has to slot into the top 6.
I thought when Ruff got canned he was moved to RW. Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad