Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
What are you guys debating about? Mercer?

Dude hasn't delivered anywhere close to his hype.
He is very streaky.
Maybe this changes this year... but I'm not holding my breath.

Mercer has been what he was projected to be. He is a guy who can play in the top-6 and contribute. He isn’t going to be a play driver, but he can be a contributor and is a guy who can play with good players. That’s valuable.

It wasn’t a good year for him last year, but it did probably provide some clarity in him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As a committed Meier third-line guy (and Meier never with Hughes guy), I think it would be fine to have both Tatar and Palat in the top 6 with Meier-Haula-Noesen as a very dangerous 3rd line. Tatar-Hischier-Mercer, Palat-Hughes-Bratt being the other two lines. I guess there's almost no way they start the season that way, though (and of course leaving aside injuries).
So you just want Meier with Hischier?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Rouke Chartier is a defensive/PK center who’s available.
Fun name too.

View attachment 893382
View attachment 893383
View attachment 893384
Apparently, he’s also patient Zero in every pandemic or zombie movie ever made:
IMG_3556.jpeg

a terrifically drunk live album

and a bonus obscure track from the great joel plaskett

What in the Frankenstein’s monster is Joel playing?
Fashionable people indeed.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
i'm pretty confident we'll make the playoffs, but i'm very surprised to see our cup odds so high. i'm guessing it's mostly due to traditional favorites falling, along with our team making some key improvements from last year?
We know the analytics love a lot of our lineup. I think the more traditional media really rates Markstrom and loves players like Dillon and Pesce. They also have a more 1,000 foot view of things so they're not as hyper worried about forward depth and Palat in the top six and whatever else we twist ourselves into knots over. There's a lot of players with good reputations here so they see that and weigh it against the weak goaltending and injuries from last year and just assume things will be better.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
As a committed Meier third-line guy (and Meier never with Hughes guy), I think it would be fine to have both Tatar and Palat in the top 6 with Meier-Haula-Noesen as a very dangerous 3rd line. Tatar-Hischier-Mercer, Palat-Hughes-Bratt being the other two lines. I guess there's almost no way they start the season that way, though (and of course leaving aside injuries).

I don’t mind giving Meier on the 3rd line a try. It sucked last year but that’s because he sucked. He shouldn’t be that bad again. I also don’t mind Bratt on the 3rd line. If we were to add another top 6er at the deadline or Gritsyuk ends up being really good with Jack I think you could even throw both of them together on the 3rd line with Haula in the middle. Meier-Hughes yeah should never be together 5v5.

Mercer has been what he was projected to be. He is a guy who can play in the top-6 and contribute. He isn’t going to be a play driver, but he can be a contributor and is a guy who can play with good players. That’s valuable.

It wasn’t a good year for him last year, but it did probably provide some clarity in him.

The “debate” comes from him not being that at all last year so he shouldn’t be paid like that

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Same here, thought we might be middle of the pack when it comes to the odds to win the cup.

Honestly, the roster as is, is pretty damn good, I'm not surprised. I'm just worried about injuries that will expose the depth issues. Ofc, this is talking about during the regular season (getting to the playoffs). Any team would be screwed by injuries in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Honestly, the roster as is, is pretty damn good, I'm not surprised. I'm just worried about injuries that will expose the depth issues. Ofc, this is talking about during the regular season. Any team would be screwed by injuries in the playoffs.

I do think the forwards even regardless of the injury concerns aren’t “great”. There will be at least a deadline add you have to imagine and Gritsyuk could also be a piece. That would make things look a lot better come playoff time. As long as this season doesn’t turn into a train wreck going through another bunch of injuries up front and it derails the season things should look great come playoff time.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Amazing game. The Palat shift is not remembered if MM doesn't score.

On another note, Tatar, 12GP, 1 goal. Pee yew.
we were told that tatar would be invisible in the playoffs and he was. but the playoffs is where palat shines! so as long as those 2 aren't worthless at the same time, it's a good investment of $8m lol.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I do think the forwards even regardless of the injury concerns aren’t “great”. There will be at least a deadline add you have to imagine and Gritsyuk could also be a piece. That would make things look a lot better come playoff time. As long as this season doesn’t turn into a train wreck going through another bunch of injuries up front and it derails the season things should look great come playoff time.

My thoughts exactly. Gotta make the playoffs first

Reactions: Hisch13r

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Honestly, the roster as is, is pretty damn good, I'm not surprised. I'm just worried about injuries that will expose the depth issues. Ofc, this is talking about during the regular season. Any team would be screwed by injuries in the playoffs.
It wouldn't surprise me either, but I am surprised that Vegas thinks so too.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I didn't like all the hoopla we got last year in the offseason. I don't want it again.

For me - i just want to make the playoffs this year (same goal i believed in last year).

I’m not happy with just being a playoff team. The window is now, the talent should be there, the coaching you is now there. The time to win is now.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I have a feeling that if Edmonton somehow makes the Finals next season, they won't be denied.....

....unless it's the Devils in their way....in which case DENY DENY DENY!! lol
I may not survive if the NJ play Edmonton in the finals LOL.
Way too many people in my town know exactly what team I cheer and Oiler fans tend to get riled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad